NBA - Bring on the Playoffs

Relic

So the Wizards pulled out Game 1 while we were all watching Game of Thrones (or at least I was). From what I saw in the first three quarters that was a super super physical game, and while the refs called a lot of fouls, there were also letting a lot go. Nene and Gortat played really tough inside and outrebounded Noah, Gibson, etc. Can't say I expected that, and if the Wiz can win with rebounding rather than with 3 point shooting (they only made 4 threes all game, well below thier usual), then that bodes really well for them.

Nonetheless, it is hard to be too optimistic about winning the series. I suspect that coaching is going to be the difference in this on, and I have no confidence in Wittman. But at least for tonight, it's all good.

Wizards have a genuinely decent chance against the Bulls.

Bulls seem much more motivated when they are the clear underdog against Heat or Pacers.

When they're on home court against a lesser team, predictably their lousy offensive skills can't make it.

I still think the Bull will regroup and take this series. But it will be tough, the Wizards have a potentially super backcourt in Wall and Beal, and with both Gortat and Nene upfront, well, that is pretty much as good a team as the remainder of this Bulls team. Next year when the Bulls are back to full strength it's a different story.

I'm looking forward to the next Clippers vs Warriors match, the Clips will be very hungry for revenge and absolutely need to win.

Looking at all the 1st round matches, Aldridge was the single best player so far.

What an amazing game against Houston. Terrence Jones got hammered. Then they tried Parsons. Nope. Asik. Nope.

Howard himself then? Well that helps sometimes, but not all the time. You could see Howard could not believe sometimes how efficient Aldridge was.

When Aldridge hit that 3 after getting stuffed by Howard, Dwight just stood there staring in disbelief, as I'm sure many people did. LA was something else yesterday.

But what about Harden at the end of the game? I thought he pulled some head scratching moves, when he probably could have won the game.

Rockets have had problems closing out tight games all year but Harden did cause me some head scratching. Hopefully it's due to inexperience or jitters or something and won't be a persistent theme throughout the series and his career, he's one of my favorite players to watch when he's turned on.

When Aldridge hit that 3 after getting stuffed by Howard, Dwight just stood there staring in disbelief, as I'm sure many people did. LA was something else yesterday.

But what about Harden at the end of the game? I thought he pulled some head scratching moves, when he probably could have won the game.

With Harden it's a really fine line between brilliant and awful. If he ISOs at the top of the key and then gets a screen, it will usually lead to a good result. He either pulls up at the free throw line (which I would bank on him making more than he misses) or gets to the rim. The problem comes when he waves away the screen. Sometimes he can draw the other defenders' attention and kick to an open man for a rim run/three (which usually works well), but if he tries to take his man one-on-one it doesn't work consistently enough for it to be a go-to option. I had hoped that the team was moving away from that as a crunch time option (they certainly did less and less of it as the season went on), but apparently not :(.

ST

On a free throw side note, I heard Rick Barry suggest that guys like Dwight and Deandre Jordan start shooting granny shot free throws like he did.

I totally agree with that, their ridiculously low percentages are liabilities for their teams. Granny shots can't possibly make them worse, well I suppose they possibly could but more likely that it would increase their percentages. They should try it at least.

I've tried and i can't bring myself to like the Warriors. Dunno what it is. David Lee used to be my favorite Knick but i get no pleasure out of watching him now. Also i think i guaranteed the Clips winning...

I feel exactly the same way now. I feel like I should like these guys but while I was watching the game, I realized that I just don't. I have always disliked Mark Jackson, maybe that's part of it.

Similarly for Houston. I was surprised how much I was rooting for Portland last night. Not quite sure what it is.

In any case, I found two teams to root against in the West. So, that's good.

I feel exactly the same way now. I feel like I should like these guys but while I was watching the game, I realized that I just don't. I have always disliked Mark Jackson, maybe that's part of it.

Similarly for Houston. I was surprised how much I was rooting for Portland last night. Not quite sure what it is.

In any case, I found two teams to root against in the West. So, that's good.

It is hard for me to root for Portland because last night was literally the very first time I saw them play live this season. I've seen every other West playoff team, plus the Lakers several times and the Suns a time or two, but never the Blazers. So aside from hearing about how good Lillard and Aldridge are on these boards, I feel completely lost.

I realize that other teams may feel the same about the Wizards, who I believe had no nationally televised games all year.

It is hard for me to root for Portland because last night was literally the very first time I saw them play live this season.

I realize that other teams may feel the same about the Wizards, who I believe had no nationally televised games all year.

You may not be able to root for Portland but you can root against Houston! Come, join the fun!

Wizards: I barely watched one Wizards game this year and I live in DC! They were much better than I expected yesterday.

You may not be able to root for Portland but you can root against Houston! Come, join the fun!

Wizards: I barely watched one Wizards game this year and I live in DC! They were much better than I expected yesterday.

The Wizards are a fun team to watch, their big men play physical and they love the 3 (although the latter was not on display yesterday). They obviously lack that elite talent to be a true contender, but it'll be a fun ride while it lasts.

Re: Woodson getting canned... Not really his fault. Wish Jackson could fire Dolan while he's at it. Trading Novak and draft pick for the shit-tastic Bragnani was one of the worst moves the franchise has made. And it's made a fuck ton of them under Dolan.

Furthermore fuck Steve Kerr. That pompous dickweed has been running his mouth for days about the getting the Knicks coaching job, before Woodson was fired. I don't want him anywhere near this team.

Furthermore fuck Steve Kerr. That pompous dickweed has been running his mouth for days about the getting the Knicks coaching job, before Woodson was fired. I don't want him anywhere near this team.

Eh, Woodson's firing was as close to a foregone conclusion as you're going to get, and I think Kerr is going to be an excellent Head Coach. I think you could do a lot worse in any case.

Eh, Woodson's firing was as close to a foregone conclusion as you're going to get, and I think Kerr is going to be an excellent Head Coach. I think you could do a lot worse in any case.

On what merits do you base his emergence as a decent head coach? It certainly can't be based on his performance as a GM. He traded for a run down Shaq (on a team known for running, no less) and then gave away Serge Ibaka for a trade exception.

It's really not Woodson's fault that the Knicks sucked. He made the most of the talent given to him in the previous season, coaching them to a 52 win season and into the second round of the playoffs for the first time in a decade. Playing Melo at the 4 and surrounding him with three points to shooters was pretty brilliant IMHO. The only person deserving of losing his job is Dolan.

On what merits do you base his emergence as a decent head coach? It certainly can't be based on his performance as a GM. He traded for a run down Shaq (on a team known for running, no less) and then gave away Serge Ibaka for a trade exception.

It's really not Woodson's fault that the Knicks sucked. He made the most of the talent given to him in the previous season, coaching them to a 52 win season and into the second round of the playoffs for the first time in a decade. Playing Melo at the 4 and surrounding him with three points to shooters was pretty brilliant IMHO. The only person deserving of losing his job is Dolan.

On the basis of his analysis, which I understand is probably not the best gauge. Love listening to that guy talk NBA on both the John Feinstein show and on local radio. Tom Tolbert has him on a lot as they were teammates back at Arizona.

I agree that Woodson didn't deserve to be fired. I'm just saying it was going to happen whether Kerr expressed interest in the job or not.

Archived