Small Questions v 10078

Stubby

Carry on.

As always, please report the thread when it reaches post 400.

Also, please DO NOT post spoilers from the new TWOW chapter in this or any other General (ASOIAF) thread.. Such comments must be properly spoiler tagged or (better yet) not posted here at all. For the record, we consider publishing the identities of the POVs as spoilers.

Unanswered question from the last thread:

Do you think Stannis will make it to the vale in time and be in a position to tell the Lords to give Sansa a trial? Or will Sansa fly on bat wings to the battle of the ice? I feel geopolitically challenged. ;-)

@Jon Weirgaryen

No I don't think that Stannis will reach the Vale before Wanda is revealed. But I do think that LF will survive until the reveal, and he most likely does have a plan to keep everyone from naming Sansa a kingslayer and such.

I meant that if it ever comes to it that Stannis gets to decide on Sansa's fate, at least he'll give her a trial :)

I wanted to make a comment regarding Jon Weirgaryen's post about Ned Stark's mother:

You might enjoy a read http://branvras.free...Clos/Queen.html for facts and some crackpot, part 7 which is halfway down the page is titled 7. Lyanna's Mother and the Flints

And I'd like to know how you post a quote from a closed thread to a new thread, please!

I read that interesting link, and while I find the idea that Ned's mother was a wilding intriguing, I would be quite annoyed if that turned out to be true. I think it's fair to say that, while GRRM can be sneaky (damn sneaky at times!), he usually isn't unfair to his readers. No one anywhere in Westeros mentions that Ned's mother was a wilding. I simply can't imagine that no one in any of the many POVs we've seen would not have made a derogatory remark about Ned being a half-wilding, a monster from north of the Wall, if his mother had been a wilding. I can't imagine Tywin Lannister or Cersei agreeing to marry the heir, Joffrey, to a girl who's grandmother had been a wilding.

There is a mystery about Ned's mother, but I don't think that's it.

ETA: Surely Littlefinger could not have resisted a snark or two about Ned?

And I'd like to know how you post a quote from a closed thread to a new thread, please!

You can always just copy+paste into quote tags. Just include the link at the top of the post if you want it referenced for some reason.

Or you can just use the MultiQuote button - it also works for cross-thread posting. Just click it and the post you've selected will be with you in every thread you open, until you hit either Reply or Clear.

Edit: Note, the bar will disappear when you're in a forum section (where you can't post), but will reappear once you open an active thread.

Or you can just use the MultiQuote button - it also works for cross-thread posting. Just click it and the post you've selected will be with you in every thread you open, until you hit either Reply or Clear.

Edit: Note, the bar will disappear when you're in a forum section (where you can't post), but will reappear once you open an active thread.

Multi-quote doesn't work for locked topics though.

Be a board moderator and think about closing the thread, Start the new thread with the quote either while the old one is still open, then close it or keep the quote from the old thread in your cutbuffer, close the old thread and start the new thread with the quote.

Q: Why the version number jump? from 10027 to 10078? :-)

There is a mystery about Ned's mother, but I don't think that's it.

ETA: Surely Littlefinger could not have resisted a snark or two about Ned?

Grrm once answered: I bet Tolkien wasn't asked for who Aragorn's mother was all the time.

Ned's granny was a Flint of the mountain, though, even if her child and Ned's mother wasn't a wildling, there will be some wildling blood in Ned's children, including most versions of Jon Snow, if one parent was a sibling of Benjen Stark. So while @Bran Vras may have lead his readers astray, Ygritte confirms that Starks and wildlings are related in her simplistic wildling working class world view of the world.

@Jon Weirgaryen

No I don't think that Stannis will reach the Vale before Wanda is revealed. But I do think that LF will survive until the reveal, and he most likely does have a plan to keep everyone from naming Sansa a kingslayer and such.

I meant that if it ever comes to it that Stannis gets to decide on Sansa's fate, at least he'll give her a trial :)

Wanda? :p

Grrm once answered: I bet Tolkien wasn't asked for who Aragorn's mother was all the time.

Ned's granny was a Flint of the mountain, though, even if her child and Ned's mother wasn't a wildling, there will be some wildling blood in Ned's children, including most versions of Jon Snow, if one parent was a sibling of Benjen Stark. So while @Bran Vras may have lead his readers astray, Ygritte confirms that Starks and wildlings are related in her simplistic wildling working class world view of the world.

Maybe because we knew who Aragorn's mother was ;)

I don't understand what you mean about the wildling. Are you referring to the Bael the Bard story?

Maybe to keep up with R+L=J...

:lol:

My question is quite easy to answer really, I just don't have the patience to work it out myself :) How old are Dany's dragons? Trying to get an idea of how old a dragon needs to be before they are ridden

My question is quite easy to answer really, I just don't have the patience to work it out myself :) How old are Dany's dragons? Trying to get an idea of how old a dragon needs to be before they are ridden

Roughly 18-19 months according to the timeline, though RT is much better with dates than I am. :)

Wanda? :P

It makes me Wanda...

I don't understand what you mean about the wildling. Are you referring to the Bael the Bard story?

No, although it is in the same place. In a chapter full of autumn flowers, Ygritte teases Jon for being bastard born, he replies: "My father was Lord Eddard Stark of Winterfell." A while later Jon...

"Were they your kin?" he asked her quietly. "The two we killed?"

"No more than you are."

"Me?" He frowned. "What do you mean?"

"You said you were the Bastard o' Winterfell."

"I am."

"Who was your mother?"

"Some woman. Most of them are." Someone had said that to him once. He did not remember who.

She smiled again, a flash of white teeth. "And she never sung you the song o' the winter rose?"

"I never knew my mother. Or any such song."

"Bael the Bard made it," said Ygritte.

...and the chapter (ACoK 51 Jon VI) is full of blue roses.

She is telling that Jon and she are indeed kin as much as anyone North of the wall is kind to the Starks through Bael the bard. Set aside the Rhaegar and Lyanna parallell and look at blood ties.

The story is only pars pro toto for the wildling traffic over the wall and their intermarrying with Northern clans. Those include the Flints of the mountain, and might include Ned and Lyanna's Flint grandma, and thus explain Lyanna being half a horse, a centaur, a unicorn as TKOLT and Bran's champion wall-climbing ability.

How old are Dany's dragons? Trying to get an idea of how old a dragon needs to be before they are ridden?

They are born end-of 298. End-of-ADwD is not at a common date, most things happen 300. some Arya action maybe halfway into 301. So they are more-or-less two years old, I guess.

Wanda? :p

Ah damn, autocorrect.. I had not seen that! Of course, it should read Sansa :)

@mindchap, for now, I have the same estimations. A little over a year and a half, but closer to the 1,5 years than 2. They are definitely not yet 2 years old

From Arya's escape from Harrenhal:

Cursing her softly, the man went to a knee to grope for the coin in the dirt and there was his neck right in front of her. Arya slid her dagger out and drew it across his throat, as smooth as summer silk. His blood covered her hands in a hot gush and he tried to shout but there was blood in his mouth as well.

“Valar morghulis,” she whispered as he died.

When did she learn the meaning of "valar morghulis"? Is this a mistake, or am I missing something?

When did she learn the meaning of "valar morghulis"? Is this a mistake, or am I missing something?

She doesn't know the meaning at this point, she learns it on the Braavosi ship iirc. But it becomes almost a ritual and part of her prayer after Jaqen gives her the coin, which is why she says it when she kills

She doesn't know the meaning at this point, she learns it on the Braavosi ship iirc. But it becomes almost a ritual and part of her prayer after Jaqen gives her the coin, which is why she says it when she kills

Yeah, she doesn't know what it means at that point, but she repeats it to herself often in order not to forget it, and naturally associates it with murder/death as Jaqen was her cool murder friend.

Still, seems quite unusual that she'd whisper "all men must die" to herself after she kills the guard (she also whispers it after Anguy kills the jailed northmen at Stoney Sept). She readily associates the phrase with death, but Jaqen gives no such hint of it. Weird to say the least.

Archived