Are the others misogynist?

Malik Ambar

The others only take Craster's sons leaving his daughters to their cruel fate. Why? What can be their reasons for taking boys only? Is something darker, more disturbing going on here?

Similarly, are the others all male? Or all female ?

The others only take Craster's sons leaving his daughters to their cruel fate. Why? What can be their reasons for taking boys only? Is something darker, more disturbing going on here?

Similarly, are the others all male? Or all female ?

because, per that hbo slip up the "leader" of those 13 Others, is The Night's King, the 13th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.

And by taking only craster's boys, theyre not technically fathering children, theyre taking them, and, since all they take are males, and no females, they cant hold any wives. theyre also nomadic, so they hold no lands either.

The Others so far, have demonstrated, they follow The Night's Oath to a tee. Theyve broken none of their vows, if in fact, the 13 are the first 13 Lord Commanders.

ive seen a lot of this theme lately, and so far no one has swayed my theory.

sidebar: Sam said to Jon, all records of the night's watch, were erased from 13th Lord Commander and backward.

....why?

There's something there.

Something, that may have fueled their vengeance, something's a little fishy there.

And by taking only craster's boys, theyre not technically fathering children, theyre taking them, and, since all they take are males, and no females, they cant hold any wives. theyre also nomadic, so they hold no lands either.

The Others so far, have demonstrated, they follow The Night's Oath to a tee.

You just blew my mind.

If that turns out to be accurate that a pretty heavy spoiler for the show to drop. (It sounds pretty convincing and not something the showrunners would go for without accurate knowledge since it's subtle and requires background lore knowledge).

Luckily, I lost interest and haven't watched since season 2.

Then again I've still seen that here so it's probably going to be hard to avoid.

If that turns out to be accurate that a pretty heavy spoiler for the show to drop. (It sounds pretty convincing and not something the showrunners would go for without accurate knowledge since it's subtle and requires background lore knowledge).

Luckily, I lost interest and haven't watched since season 2.

Then again I've still seen that here so it's probably going to be hard to avoid.

yeah it was on the app, when the "leader" made an appearence, it was up for like a day, then they took it off. you could pretty much google the actual screenshot.

thats what started the "show going further than the books at this point" war.

because, per that hbo slip up the "leader" of those 13 Others, is The Night's King, the 13th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.

The Others so far, have demonstrated, they follow The Night's Oath to a tee. Theyve broken none of their vows, if in fact, the 13 are the first 13 Lord Commanders.

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

Where is their post?

What wall are they watching from?

They are ice creatures who don't like fire or light, how can they burn against the cold and bring light when they bring the cold and darkness?

You mean the Horn of Winter to bring down the wall?

Sure, killing men and zombifying them up is total the same thing as guarding them.

Yup totally following the NW's oath to the tee.

There were 13 Others in that scene, all male, all dressed in black (night's watch clothing[?])

If the HBO slipup names him The Night's King, THe Night's King was the 13th Lord Commander.

I would assume, ASSUME, and only assume, the other 12, the 12 Lord Commanders before him?

Again, no written evidence as of yet.

again, sam told jon, there was no history in the library, about the 13th lord commander, and before him. why was this all destroyed? he was exiled apparently by them, and a 14th lord commander took over. and all we have to go on the previous lord commanders, is the word-of-mouth of the 14th lord commander and on, since they deliberately destroyed their written evidence.

The Others "apparently" follow the night's oath, being nomadic, taking children (not fathering them), and having them be only boys (no females and thus, no wives). it is also of note, that in THAT episode, the only one of note here, out of the 13 shown, there were no females in that 13. thus far, in books and on screen, all Others have been male (there have been female wights, but no female Others).

There were 13 Others in that scene, all male, all dressed in black (night's watch clothing[?])

If the HBO slipup names him The Night's King, THe Night's King was the 13th Lord Commander.

I would assume, ASSUME, and only assume, the other 12, the 12 Lord Commanders before him?

again, sam told jon, there was no history in the library, about the 13th lord commander, and before him. why was this all destroyed? he was exiled apparently by them, and a 14th lord commander took over. and all we have to go on the previous lord commanders, is the word-of-mouth of the 14th lord commander and on, since they deliberately destroyed their written evidence.

The Others "apparently" follow the night's oath, being nomadic, taking children (not fathering them), and having them be only boys (no females and thus, no wives). it is also of note, that in THAT episode, the only one of note here, out of the 13 shown, there were no females in that 13. thus far, in books and on screen, all Others have been male (there have been female wights, but no female Others).

Your assumption is most likely correct about the NK and his 12 companions, but not about them following the NW oath. First and foremost, you seem to forget that the NK had a wife, an Other wife(and lets be honest, almost everyone thinks that). And what, after he was defeated they got divorced? Doubtful, and nothing was said about what happened to her. So he has already broken that vow. And about who destroyed the records, would it be so crackpot to say that the NK did it himself, or his wife did it or made him do it? Those are a lot more likely than the 14th doing it. The NK could of done it(or was forced to by his wife) so that the NW would forget about and how to defeat the Others. Now another question, why would he want to keep following the oath after breaking it? It's not like the NW approved of his actions, he had to use magic to bind them to his will, without which they would of certainly turned on him.

And a separate question, wouldn't of the first 12 LC's have been dead? How did they become Others?

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

Where is their post?

They are ice creatures who don't like fire or light, how can they burn against the cold and bring light when they bring the cold and darkness?

Sure, killing men and zombifying them up is total the same thing as guarding them.

Where is their post?

or instead of being passive aggressive, read a bit more into the actual oath that you just posted:

-Night gathers, and thus my watch begins (The Others, are known to be more active especially at night-time)

-I'll leave alone, the fathering kids, wives, and lands segment since ive covered that

-I shall live and die at my post (if this is at all accurate, the Wall IS their post, and they never died, Others are turned, wights are dead)

again, there's not a lot written about Others other than what the wildlings and night's watch tell us. And, furthermore, the word of the night's watch, is per the 14th lord commander and on.

theorizing, is just simply that -- theorizing. not all the text is written yet. i have yet to see something more creative than "oh no theyre just evil they have no reason to be theyre just zombies that came out of nowhere and just started eating people, anyone who thinks differently clearly doesnt know what theyre talking about"

The Old Night's Watch, is returning. And it's something im sure Jon in his current situation would be a perfect candidate for.

Samwell could find no records of lords commander before 660 or something. There are literally hundreds of lord commanders we have no record of. The tales say the nights king's name was struck from all records but any records they would be runes only. Unless they were carved into stone, they fell apart long ago. There is no way paper records can last 8000 years in a readable state

I'm aware of that. I'm just thinking now that the oath has a backstory with the others and is related to them somehow.

It is,

Night gathers - reference to the Others?

Take no wife, lands, father no children - have nothing that would distract them or make them abandon their post for fear of losing one or all of those things. In other words your life is for the realm, not yourself.

Wear no crown, win no glory - In other words your life is for the realm, not yourself.

the rest seems pretty obvious that it is to fight the Others and warn the realm of their arrival.

Your assumption is most likely correct about the NK and his 12 companions, but not about them following the NW oath. First and foremost, you seem to forget that the NK had a wife, an Other wife(and lets be honest, almost everyone thinks that). And what, after he was defeated they got divorced? Doubtful, and nothing was said about what happened to her. So he has already broken that vow. And about who destroyed the records, would it be so crackpot to say that the NK did it himself, or his wife did it or made him do it? Those are a lot more likely than the 14th doing it. The NK could of done it(or was forced to by his wife) so that the NW would forget about and how to defeat the Others. Now another question, why would he want to keep following the oath after breaking it? It's not like the NW approved of his actions, he had to use magic to bind them to his will, without which they would of certainly turned on him.

And a separate question, wouldn't of the first 12 LC's have been dead? How did they become Others?

And Jon Connington was dead, and so was Aegon (in regards to him being with a female Other, words are wind. There is no female Other. where is she? was she killed? he never broke his vow, and the "legend" was passed on by the 14th lord commander. because what else would you believe, after all, theres no evidence at all in that library to say otherwise -- BECAUSE THEY DESTROYED IT)

with the corruption of the night's watch, (and ALL actual written history being destroyed, mind you), you really think an up and coming charismatic 14th lord commander couldnt sway people into thinking a certain way to get rid of a less-charismatic leader? hmm? because that hasnt been seen before..)

i want to get into something more important though. we know wights can't cross into and through the wall due to the magic in the wall. are Others part of that ban, as well? we know they havent reached it yet, to attempt anything, right? it's always been a wight.

me personally, i just want to know the logistics of the magic. why wildling children, why craster's children. im thinking it's something in the blood (first men blood??) in which jon would be a candidate for, having stark blood in him.

I don't see how this makes them misogynists. It all comes down to practicality. They only take the boys so Craster can continue making more sons. If the took the girls as well then their breeding supply would dry out.

Mmmm, not buying it.

We know there are female Others. We don't know for certain they are nomadic. If you want to take HBO into account then apparently they have some type of castle.

And since when have the Others guarded the realms of men?

or instead of being passive aggressive, read a bit more into the actual oath that you just posted:

-Night gathers, and thus my watch begins (The Others, are known to be more active especially at night-time)

-I'll leave alone, the fathering kids, wives, and lands segment since ive covered that

-I shall live and die at my post (if this is at all accurate, the Wall IS their post, and they never died, Others are turned, wights are dead)

again, there's not a lot written about Others other than what the wildlings and night's watch tell us. And, furthermore, the word of the night's watch, is per the 14th lord commander and on.

theorizing, is just simply that -- theorizing. not all the text is written yet. i have yet to see something more creative than "oh no theyre just evil they have no reason to be theyre just zombies that came out of nowhere and just started eating people, anyone who thinks differently clearly doesnt know what theyre talking about"

The Old Night's Watch, is returning. And it's something im sure Jon in his current situation would be a perfect candidate for.

Your the one claiming they follow it to the tee and then only give three out of the 15 vows being made as "proof"

Night Gathers - the Others bring the cold and only gather in the dark.

We don't know how or if the Others can reproduce the same way we do.

Do the Others even marry? Maybe they never do, like the wildlings.

Hold no lands? That is a human concept, they may live off the land just like the CotF, they hold no lands too, could they be following the NW oath to the tee?

Live and die at post. If their post is the wall, then why have they NEVER been there? They ultimately just failed the oath on that one count.

Archived