Let's be real: how much power can Cersei possibly get back? [TWoW SPOILERS]

Mycah Bluth

I see a lot of comments and theories operating under the assumption that, in the aftermath of Kevan and Pycelle's assassinations, Cersei is going to just be given the regency right back. Is that a reasonable assumption? She's under house arrest by the Faith for murder, fornication and treason, and I can't see the Tyrells letting her get back on top, even if she "behaves." I'm just uncertain of the extent to which she'll get back the wherewithal to create the kind of chaos Varys desires.

I think it is safe to assume she will get back into the game with Kevan now pushing up the daisies, but you are right, I do not think the Tyrells will let her get the power that she once incompetently wielded back, but she might be back as Regent under tight control, after all, she is still Tommen's mother.

I think it is safe to assume she will get back into the game with Kevan now pushing up the daisies, but you are right, I do not think the Tyrells will let her get the power that she once incompetently wielded back, but she might be back as Regent under tight control, after all, she is still Tommen's mother.

"Of that, we can be sure."

I agree, I don't see how she could regain her old authority, some crazy shit would have to go down with the Faith and the Tyrells.

And maybe it will.

Not much.. I´m thinking that her being in "power", just means the tyrells gone, and her in control of the city watch...

my guess is that King´s Landing will be in a similar state as Rhaenyra´s rule. with the reach under ironborn attack, the food won´t be coming to KL. during the war of the five kings, the stokeworths and Rosby were the only food supply left for the capital. But this time Cersei won´t even control the crownlands, given the dispute over rosby..

With Aegon coming to her gates, and the smallfolk rebelling, after Myrcella´s death, she will trigger the plan to burn KL to the ground. And jaime will kill her.

Not much.. I´m thinking that her being in "power", just means the tyrells gone, and her in control of the city watch...

my guess is that King´s Landing will be in a similar state as Rhaenyra´s rule. with the reach under ironborn attack, the food won´t be coming to KL. during the war of the five kings, the stokeworths and Rosby were the only food supply left for the capital. But this time Cersei won´t even control the crownlands, given the dispute over rosby..

With Aegon coming to her gates, and the smallfolk rebelling, after Myrcella´s death, she will trigger the plan to burn KL to the ground. And jaime will kill her.

:thumbsup:

Only as much as the idiots running KL give her.

right now, the Tyrells, of course they´ll give her no power at all. If they were to be removed, then Cersei could take advantage of the power vaccum, and gain control of the city again...

We know the Tyrell army left the city to confront the Golden Company... so the moment is ripe..

MAybe Cersei takes control of margaery and helds her hostage to force the tyrell to go fight Aegon. Similar to Aerys with Elia and her children to keep Dorne supporting the crown during Robert´s Rebellion.

I'm with Lord too fat - Cersei will gain some power because the Tyrells will be busy with the Ironborn and fAegon too. I seem to recall that apparently Lord Tyrell can't do two things at once - I think when we left ADWD he was too busy dealing with Marg's trial to worry about other matters. Not looking good for the future of the Tyrells

What's interesting is if Cersei has to deal with the Stokeworths - isn't Bronn in charge there? (Leave it to GRRM to bring him back)

right now, the Tyrells, of course they´ll give her no power at all. If they were to be removed, then Cersei could take advantage of the power vaccum, and gain control of the city again...

We know the Tyrell army left the city to confront the Golden Company... so the moment is ripe..

MAybe Cersei takes control of margaery and helds her hostage to force the tyrell to go fight Aegon. Similar to Aerys with Elia and her children to keep Dorne supporting the crown during Robert´s Rebellion.

Thats very plausible :)

I'm with Lord too fat - Cersei will gain some power because the Tyrells will be busy with the Ironborn and fAegon too.

What's interesting is if Cersei has to deal with the Stokeworths - isn't Bronn in charge there?

LOL, I can't wait to see Bronn vs Cersei!!!

Well Qyburn seems to be her man, so she will have the Master of Whisperers in her pocket, maybe, for what its worth. The Gold Cloaks, I'm not sure about, Tyrell did add 100 of his men to their numbers, not sure about the loyalties of the current commander. She could pull the Lannister army out of the Riverlands and back to Kings Landing and that would at least give her an army. Kevan did indicate that there were all ready hundreds of Lannister guardsmen there. Of course Cersei herself is not popular with the populace, neither are the Lannisters in general. Maybe she could try to get remarried but I doubt it.

I agree that circumstances could work to her advantage and she might try to sway the Faith but other than the gold and possibly the Wests military power she does not seem to have much going for her.

Some things need to happen for sure. First off, Varys made it pretty clear to Kevan that he needs Cersei back in charge and will do everything in his power to get her back on that throne.

Cersei will first of all win her trial, and then Margeary must also lose hers. This is the requirement for Cersei to regain her power. The High Septon (who I think is in league with Varys, and if he were plump I'd say he's Varys himself) will listen to Cersei and merely have Margeary imprisoned. Cersei then threatens Mace that if he does not directly follow her commands, then she will have Margeary killed. Mace is then commanded to go to Storm's End, and the Tyrells then make a deal with Aegon in order to save Margeary.

I think it has to go down pretty much exactly like that for her to regain her power, and she'll be crazier and more unstable than ever. She's now been completely exposed and degraded so she'll very visibly start to act and look like the Mad King. I don't see her surviving the novel though.

Cersei will first of all win her trial, and then Margeary must also lose hers. This is the requirement for Cersei to regain her power. The High Septon (who I think is in league with Varys, and if he were plump I'd say he's Varys himself) will listen to Cersei and merely have Margeary imprisoned. Cersei then threatens Mace that if he does not directly follow her commands, then she will have Margeary killed. Mace is then commanded to go to Storm's End, and the Tyrells then make a deal with Aegon in order to save Margeary.

Margaery is in the custody of her own family, and the Tyrells at this point are militarily in control of the city. I can't imagine how Cersei would somehow gain Margaery as a hostage.

Archived