The First Law by Joe Abercrombie Vx (spoilers through LAOK for now)

Pilusmagnus

Yeah, maybe that happens at the very beginning of book 2? I don't remember. Until his confrontation with Ardee he seems like a pretty generic good guy sorta character.

Yeah, he's basically one guy in front of people and another guy behind closed doors. He's a pretty grey character IMO, and take him out of the military and I think he turns nasty pretty quickly. I never really thought of him as 'good', just 'not terrible'.

Quite strangely, though the ending is sad as it is, the thing that made me saddest was

Prince Raynault's death.

I mean, Cathil and Threetrees died honourably. Raynault is just a waste.

And Sult is utterly stupid.

Keep reading.

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are Poulder and Kroy. Don't care which is which. Hell, they could even switch roles during the movie for all I care. You haven't got to be realistic about these things.

Besides, the more I read, the more I think that Jean-Pierre Jeunet could do one hell of an adaptation of this. With all the dark humor and the little thought bubbles for the characters.

Damn, this last battle is so catchy. The chapter "Sacrifices" is one of the best pieces of military fantasy ever written, somewhere next to Jaime's Riverrun chapter in A Feast for Crows. Also, I like how Joe keeps purposefully delaying the chapter where all six POV can have their say.

And Bayaz, you ultimate son of a bitch.

Damn, this last battle is so catchy. The chapter "Sacrifices" is one of the best pieces of military fantasy ever written, somewhere next to Jaime's Riverrun chapter in A Feast for Crows. Also, I like how Joe keeps purposefully delaying the chapter where all six POV can have their say.

And Bayaz, you ultimate son of a bitch.

I guess somewhere at this point I thought "How the hell will Abercrombie solve all those plots in that few pages?!"

As a matter of narration, plot and dramacrafting, I LOVED the ending. The only thing I found kinda weird is when Bayaz explains his plan to Glokta. This felt a little bit James Bond villain-ish and I kinda disbelieved at this point. That and some parts of the ending are stretching a bit too long. I had to read for three hours after the battle ended and it's a bit much.

But all the plots are resolved perfectly. By that of course I mean with perfect frustration and disgust for the reader. Especially for someone like me who believes in improving enhancement of mankind and in an ideal of peace.

Is West dead though?

As a matter of narration, plot and dramacrafting, I LOVED the ending. The only thing I found kinda weird is when Bayaz explains his plan to Glokta. This felt a little bit James Bond villain-ish and I kinda disbelieved at this point. That and some parts of the ending are stretching a bit too long. I had to read for three hours after the battle ended and it's a bit much.

But all the plots are resolved perfectly. By that of course I mean with perfect frustration and disgust for the reader. Especially for someone like me who believes in improving enhancement of mankind and in an ideal of peace.

But this isn't the villain explaining things to Bond, this is him talking to his new assistant and proxy in Adua. Glokta actually does need to know what is going on, in order to represent Bayaz and his interests. Bayaz needed to explain that while Glokta will be given some latitude, he will never have true independence or freedom.

The trilogy is about more than just the battles. Everything keeps right on going, and the ending reflects that. This was merely one (admittedly important) chapter in the ongoing Bayaz-Khalul saga. I expect that to Bayaz, the death of tens of thousands of Adua's soldiers and citizens is a small price to pay for killing Mamun (Khalul's chief lieutenant).

Is West dead though?

Do you really want to know?

Probably.

But this isn't the villain explaining things to Bond, this is him talking to his new assistant and proxy in Adua. Glokta actually does need to know what is going on, in order to represent Bayaz and his interests. Bayaz needed to explain that while Glokta will be given some latitude, he will never have true independence or freedom.

Yeah, but it felt a bit "Let's explain things to the readers" with things like "Oh, that was that the whole time !'

If not terrible, I have some minor problems with Bayaz actually being behind everything, but I guess I'm just frustrated.

The Pike reveal was extremely great however.

The trilogy is about more than just the battles. Everything keeps right on going, and the ending reflects that. This was merely one (admittedly important) chapter in the ongoing Bayaz-Khalul saga. I expect that to Bayaz, the death of tens of thousands of Adua's soldiers and citizens is a small price to pay for killing Mamun (Khalul's chief lieutenant).

True, but the battle was the climax of the series, so it is sometimes painful to have to stand all that more text before you have your conclusion. I expected after the "six-together" chapter that we would have one conclusion chapter for each POV, but it stretches on and on...

Really minor complaints though.

Do you really want to know?

Probably.

And I discovered that the perfect actor for Glokta would actually be Kevin Spacey.

EDIT : Thread title changed back to The First Law

Is West dead though?

Probably not really a spoiler as it addresses the question, but this info is based off of The Heroes.

The Heroes implies that he is dead, as he is no longer involved with the military. But I don't think anyone ever says straight out that he died.

I wasn't aware there was any question that West died. I thought they made that pretty clear at the end. Though I suppose I haven't read it in a while. Then again, I never heard the "the Bloody-Nine is a spirit/daemon/magic thingy and not just Logen's disassociative personality disorder manifesting" theory before reading the forums here either. Which reminds me: what do you guys think of that? I gotta say, I think that would cheapen Logen as a character kinda sorta.

Archived