You're king. Who'd be your hand and who'd be on the small council?

the_scream

There are two ways to answer this question, not necessarily dealing with who gets what office, and I'm assuming we're starting from just before the events in the book take place, otherwise some of the possible choices might not be around any more.

The first is to pick out smart, capable people. Tyrion, obviously, probably Ned, I'd have to think about some others.

The second is what kind of balancing act you'd have to do if you had to take into account who was from what family and which families were loyal to which and which had feuds and enmities going back for generations.

In which case it'd be enough to make you want to give up the throne and go join the NIght's Watch.

King: Jon Arryn (smart and honorable)

Hand: Tywin Lannister (ruthless and efficient)

Lord Commander: Barristan Selmy (Great and dutiful warrior)

Master of Ships: Paxter Redwyne (Seasoned naval commander with one of the largest Fleets in Westeros)

Master of Laws: Stannis Baratheon (A truly just man)

Master of Coin: Tyrion Lannister (He seemed pretty good as master of Coin)

Master of Whispers: Varys (Yeah, he's not trustworthy, but he's the best there is at what he does)

Hmm. I have to say, I as king would like to take a fairly active roll in my kingdom, and not be a "Robert" style of king. So with that, I'd probably want a hand that would be good at following through with my decisions, so I'd go Ned or Stannis. I also know next to nothing about warfare, so I believe both would help complement me. Because of another position, I'll go with Ned.

Master of Law, I'd mostly take care of myself. However, to bring them into the fold with a mostly empty position, I'd bring Doran to Kings Landing.

Master of Ship- Stannis. See Robert's Rebellion.

Lord Commander - Barristan Selmy. Is this really a question?

Grand Maester - We don't know too many Maester's, so depending on if I can get him from the wall or not, either Maester Aemon or Maester Luwin.

Master of Coin - Give me Kevan Lannister to bring them into the fold. Also allows me to leverage off their reputation for repayment.

Master of Whispers - With no one to trust, I think I just give it to Varys because of his effectiveness.

Hmm. I have to say, I as king would like to take a fairly active roll in my kingdom, and not be a "Robert" style of king. So with that, I'd probably want a hand that would be good at following through with my decisions, so I'd go Ned or Stannis. I also know next to nothing about warfare, so I believe both would help complement me. Because of another position, I'll go with Ned.

Master of Law, I'd mostly take care of myself. However, to bring them into the fold with a mostly empty position, I'd bring Doran to Kings Landing.

Master of Ship- Stannis. See Robert's Rebellion.

Lord Commander - Barristan Selmy. Is this really a question?

Grand Maester - We don't know too many Maester's, so depending on if I can get him from the wall or not, either Maester Aemon or Maester Luwin.

Master of Coin - Give me Kevan Lannister to bring them into the fold. Also allows me to leverage off their reputation for repayment.

Master of Whispers - With no one to trust, I think I just give it to Varys because of his effectiveness.

This is a pretty well rounded group. Agree with your choices.

If I was king at the beginning of the series, I'll first hang Varys(needs to get a map of secret passageways before that, somehow), and LF, to avoid chaos.

Hand: Tyrion

Master of Ships: Stannis

Master of Laws: Oberyn Martell

Master of Coin: Jon Snow

Master of Whisperers: Beric Dondarrion with BWB, esply Thoros and Tom O'Sevens at his command.

Grand Master: Maester Aemon

Lord Commander of the Kingsguard: Barristan Selmy

Hand= Tywin Lannister (Aery's Rule). Under his reign as Hand during the Mad King's rule there was peace and prosperity. He was an amazing hand, and the people loved him then.

Master of Law = Stannis (prime). Neither Ned Stark or Jon Arryn were suited for the capital, otherwise I would've picked one of them. And back in the day Stannis was quite an honorable man.

Master of Ship= Lord Redwyne. Not my number one choice, but yeah. Big a$$ fleet.

Lord Commander= Ser Barristan Selmy (prime)

Grand Maester= Maester Luwin. Always my favorite Maester. Such a sweet man. And intelligent.

Master of Coin= Tyrion Lannister. Petyr was an amazing MoC, but you just can't trust him. Tyrion did a swell job. And Tywin could keep him a bit more in place.

Master of Whispers= Bloodraven. I mean, c'mon. Everywhere and nowhere at the same time.

Hand: Lord Tywin Lannister
Master of Law: Lord Ned Stark
Master of Ship: Lord Mace Tyrell
Lord Commander: Ser Barristan Selmy
Grand Maester: Luwin

Master of Coin: Petyr Baelish
Master of Whispers: Prince Oberyn Martell

I tried to draw as much from different regions, and to balance between people with stronger resources and those with natural skills sets. Littlefinger is a risk but with Tywin around he could be kept in line, and while Mace is no naval commander but has strong links to both the Redwyne and Hightower fleets. Luwin is one of the most well-rounded maesters, at least from our limited viewpoints, and is a great adviser and administrator in his own right. It was a tough call between Ned and Stannis for Law, but the lack of a chip of Ned's shoulder makes me trust his decisions more.

Hand= Kevan, capable, loyal and he is the main advisor to Tywin Lannister

Master of Law= Randyll Tarly. Just for the sake of getting him far from Mace

Master of Ships= Stannis the Mannis

Master of Coin= Tyrion Lannister

Master of Whispers= Varys

Grand Maester= Aemon

LC of the Kingsguard= Barristan Selmy

Other Advisors on the Small council=

I would invite some stronger minor lords or cousins of the great houses to come to the small council, they can't really decline and I can directly stronger the bonds between the throne and the great houses. And in case of rebellion I got them hostages.

Archived