At the End of Winds of Winter who will be ruling? V. 8675309

Stringer Bill

Whoever sits the throne will not be a Lannister or a Stark. The ASoIaF series is loosely based on the War of the Roses, with the Lannisters standing in for the Lancasters and the Starks as the Yorks. At the end of the War of the Roses, it was the Tudors who ended up ruling.

So, we need to figure out who in the books is the best fit to stand for the Tudors.

Probably Gendry or Shireen since they're the most unlikely candidates who still have some sort of claim.

Sweetrobin and Timmet might have a claim through the Arryn line. The Targs intermarried with Arryns. I'd say those two are far more unlikely than Gendry and Shireen who both have Baratheon blood.

Aegon Targaryen! (Hopefully)

by the end of WoW? yeah, aegon. it'll end with aegon climbing the throne. then a raven will fly in from the north, probably from roose. that girl nobody wanted to pay attention to, you know, out east. her lizards made friends with the grumkins and snarks up north. and theyre descending south toward kings landing, together.

Jenny, Jenny will rule them all

You've solved the mystery of Summerhall.

They put in a telephone switchboard but so many calls came in for Jenny (of Oldstones) that it overloaded and caught fire and the toxic smoke from the primitive wire insulation overcame everyone there so they couldn't escape.

by the end of WoW? yeah, aegon. it'll end with aegon climbing the throne. then a raven will fly in from the north, probably from roose. that girl nobody wanted to pay attention to, you know, out east. her lizards made friends with the grumkins and snarks up north. and theyre descending south toward kings landing, together.

You don't think Aegon will make it to Kings Landing before Dany or Stannis?

Since so many ravens have been shot down during the war, the current ones are overworked. This raven means to land on Aegon's shoulder but instead crashes into his face, knocking him off the throne, and sending him plummeting to his death on the floor below. No one knows for sure if this counts as the throne rejecting him, but they do put an arrow through that raven. Yes, that's right...they shot the messenger.

Since so many ravens have been shot down during the war, the current ones are overworked. This raven means to land on Aegon's shoulder but instead crashes into his face, knocking him off the throne, and sending him plummeting to his death on the floor below. No one knows for sure if this counts as the throne rejecting him, but they do put an arrow through that raven. Yes, that's right...they shot the messenger.

I don't think this will happen. I find it to be a little out there

I think the Winds of Winter is going to be a pretty big shake up, but still remain an interim state of affair before things finalize in the last book (which may or may not be Dawn of Spring).

King's Landing, Aegon the Maybe, Quite possibly married to Margaery 'many kings.' I don't think their effective rulership extends far outside the Crownlands while the Reach continues to have defectors pledging to another pretender.

The Vale: Effectively Yohn Royce, but the de jure leader I'm not sure about. I think this will be the book that Littlefinger's misdeeds and crazy plots catch up to him. I also think the hill tribes are going to make a reappearance and throw a major wrench into his plans, quite possibly grabbing Sansa where she will quickly learn to soar as a political/personal actor.

The North: Stannis Baratheon. Though who serves as his Warden in the North I don't know. I am on recording saying Bran will be Lord of Winterfell by the end of the series, so I'll go with him.

The West: Cersei, by virtue of being the only ranking Lannister still alive. I don't think she'll have much effective influence outside of King's Landing. Essentially, her job is to hold Casterly Rock until Tyrion returns to trick her out of it. Even then I think she'll stay alive. Cersei is always wrong, so when she says "you either win or you die," I'm sure the opposite will happen. She's going to lose, keep on losing, but not die until somebody simply strangles her to put her out of her misery.

The Iron Islands: Rodrick the Reader. I think Theon's continued living will force another King's Moot, only this time Rodrick decides to take his history lessons to heart and ends it with bloodshed before Euron can win it a second time. After that, he tries to make the peace suggested by his niece (Asha) at the last one.

The Riverlands: Maybe Stannis makes it down here in time to gain support, but I doubt it. More likely law and order will continue to breakdown as the Brotherhood finalizes its anti-Frey campaign.

Dorne: Probably Aegon the Maybe, but support held very weakly.

Whoever sits the throne will not be a Lannister or a Stark. The ASoIaF series is loosely based on the War of the Roses, with the Lannisters standing in for the Lancasters and the Starks as the Yorks. At the end of the War of the Roses, it was the Tudors who ended up ruling.

So, we need to figure out who in the books is the best fit to stand for the Tudors.

The historical parallel breaks down, because the while the Starks fought the Lannisters, the Starks weren't fighting for the main Crown, but for a independence. Regardless, how about the Baratheons as a Tudor stand in?

The historical parallel breaks down, because the while the Starks fought the Lannisters, the Starks weren't fighting for the main Crown, but for a independence. Regardless, how about the Baratheons as a Tudor stand in?

Henry Tudor legitimized his rule by marrying the last Yorkish king's sister. Does this mean Sansa will end up marrying the eventual king?

The thing about this is that Lancaster an York were branches of the Plantaganet dynasty, which I consider Targaryens to be. Interestingly enough, neither Stark or Lannister are of Targaryen descent, rather, they claim nobility of their own accord through their heritage tracing back to First Men roots. I think that house Baratheon is a continuation of the Targaryen Rule, which actually makes Lannister the usurping family for the present, and only through incest and bastardy. I once saw someone claim that Tyrion is Richard III, but I feel that connection is better attributed to Stannis. If so then he will take the throne by having his bastard Niece and Nephew detained and promise to treat them honorably, despite them being bastards, (Perhaps then we will get George's version of the princes in the tower legend.) but fail to hold the throne for long, ultimately dying in battle.

I feel like there are layers of the story that are reflections of the War of the Roses, not just the Lannister/Lancaster and Stark/York. Perhaps we will see a showdown of cadet branches of Targaryen, Namely, Baratheon and Blackfyre.

The thing about this is that Lancaster an York were branches of the Plantaganet dynasty, which I consider Targaryens to be. Interestingly enough, neither Stark or Lannister are of Targaryen descent, rather, they claim nobility of their own accord through their heritage tracing back to First Men roots. I think that house Baratheon is a continuation of the Targaryen Rule, which actually makes Lannister the usurping family for the present, and only through incest and bastardy. I once saw someone claim that Tyrion is Richard III, but I feel that connection is better attributed to Stannis. If so then he will take the throne by having his bastard Niece and Nephew detained and promise to treat them honorably, despite them being bastards, (Perhaps then we will get George's version of the princes in the tower legend.) but fail to hold the throne for long, ultimately dying in battle.

I feel like there are layers of the story that are reflections of the War of the Roses, not just the Lannister/Lancaster and Stark/York. Perhaps we will see a showdown of cadet branches of Targaryen, Namely, Baratheon and Blackfyre.

Yes, the story is heavily influenced by War of the Roses, however GRRM said it doesnt mean it will have the same ending, as this is not just War of the Roses with renamed characters

The North: Stannis, with Rickon being looked after by Manderley

The Riverlands: still in shambles

Dorne, half of Reach, half Stormlands, Crownlands : fAegon

Westerlamds, Half of Reach: Tommen

Vale: Sansa with Robert Arryn, being looked after by Bronze Royce

Yes, the story is heavily influenced by War of the Roses, however GRRM said it doesnt mean it will have the same ending, as this is not just War of the Roses with renamed characters

The North: Stannis, with Rickon being looked after by Manderley

The Riverlands: still in shambles

Dorne, half of Reach, half Stormlands, Crownlands : fAegon

Westerlamds, Half of Reach: Tommen

Vale: Sansa with Robert Arryn, being looked after by Bronze Royce

That is pretty good. I think between the two of us we are near the right track. Sansa could totally just keep Robin around as the puppet leader and get rid of littlefinger instead. You still see Tomen on the throne too?

Henry Tudor legitimized his rule by marrying the last Yorkish king's sister. Does this mean Sansa will end up marrying the eventual king?

Actually, if you want to follow the Baratheon=Tudor line, the Baratheon heir and my bet to sit the Iron Throne by the end of the series is Shireen Baratheon. So, if Stark=York, then the logical pairing is Rickon, who is going to be a second son anyways. Its not perfect, but it does tie up a lot of lose ends.

Archived