The First Law Vx2 (spoilers through BSC)

Pilusmagnus

It doesn't always work, IMHO. Even allowing for the POV structure, I find it hard to reconcile the complete jerk, General Kroy, with the kind-hearted Lord Marshal Kroy, of the Heroes. But, mostly it works well.

That's because Kroy has an evolution. He goes in the North to win glory and fame and to outrank General Poulder, but as West is appointed Lord Marshal, he learns humility, and thanks to West's scheme, he and Poulder learn to see each other's qualities rather than their weaknesses, and a respect grows between them, at the point to which Kroy is grieved upon hearing Poulder's death. At the time of The Heroes, he has learnt to be a kind, decent, responsible commander. It's a very well-crafted love-hate relationship and a nice evolution. Poulder and Kroy are probably my favorite secondary characters in the books.

To me, it's like Treasure Island, or the White Company. It's a well-written adventure story for 13/14 year olds. There's no graphic sex or violence, the plot is simpler than TFL, but there are dark themes throughout.

I'm not sure I'd say it was fundamentally different in its outlook and a large part of the plot of the first book involves the protagonist losing his naivety and becoming increasingly cynical and ruthless. It is a bit toned down compared to the First Law world books.

So even if it is less violent, it is still as hopeless and as morally gray as TFL, is it?

That's because Kroy has an evolution. He goes in the North to win glory and fame and to outrank General Poulder, but as West is appointed Lord Marshal, he learns humility, and thanks to West's scheme, he and Poulder learn to see each other's qualities rather than their weaknesses, and a respect grows between them, at the point to which Kroy is grieved upon hearing Poulder's death. At the time of The Heroes, he has learnt to be a kind, decent, responsible commander. It's a very well-crafted love-hate relationship and a nice evolution. Poulder and Kroy are probably my favorite secondary characters in the books.

So even if it is less violent, it is still as hopeless and as morally gray as TFL, is it?

Thanks. I'll need to rethink about Kroy.

Half a King isn't as hopeless as TFL. The protagonist does become more ruthless as the book progresses, but he does retain his humanity.

• 1 month later...

I'm still in the middle of TBI and I'm enjoying it a lot.

I've seen people saying the story doesn't focus towards the middle of this book, but I don't think asoiaf readers will have any problem about this, though I think the story is still consistent tbh. I'm probably finishing this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

While reading the June 2014 issue of Locus ,i came across this Abercrombie interview:

‘‘I could probably sell a hundred books about Logen Ninefingers. There’d certainly be readers who’d be happy to continue reading those. But I think what happens is, you get into a death of a thousand cuts that way. It becomes a burden both for writers and readers. If I went out and did something radically new, wrote a paranormal romance for the next thing, people would be upset straightaway.

So Joe,when will we get to read this paranormal romance ? :D

Archived