Daenerys at the end of A Dance of Dragons

Isobel Harper

Not sure some say it was a miscarriage I believe it was just the return of her cycle. Meaning her fertility has returned.

:

Her cycles never left. At the end of ADwD, she was missing a cyle or two which means she was pregnant (from Daario).

That theory is actually one of the worst and has been debunked by the author in a recent interview where he stated that Dany "made" the magic in the pyre.

Mirri played the role of a sacrifice and thats her purpose, I see no reason for the author to include a botched spell.

Care to give a link to said interview? I admit not having been quite up to date with the GRRM interviews over the last few months.

Care to give a link to said interview? I admit not having been quite up to date with the GRRM interviews over the last few months.

Here is the interview:

The whole point of the scene in A Game of Thrones where Daenerys hatches the dragons is that she makes the magic up as she goes along; she is someone who really might do anything. I wanted magic to be something barely under control and half instinctive--not the John W. Campbell version with magic as the science and technology of other sorts of world, that works by simple and understandable rules.

Interesting, and certainly suggestive, but to me this doesn't preclude Mirri casting her own magic to protect herself from fire (as we know she's chanting while the pyre burns the same way she chanted while reviving Drogo), it just means Dany contributed to the magic of dragon-hatching - and I certainly wouldn't say Dany was entirely superfluous at that pyre; indeed, I'm quite convinced the dragons wouldn't have hatched without her there.

Daenerys was most likely suffering from a miscarriage enduced by the berries she was eating. She recalls that her last "moon blood" was a few months ago, indicating that she has continued to have her period after Rhaego's stillbirth.

Viserys was the one who said Targaryens are immune to fire. He died because of molten metal. The irony should be obvious.

Viserys said nothing of the kind.

Interesting, and certainly suggestive, but to me this doesn't preclude Mirri casting her own magic to protect herself from fire (as we know she's chanting while the pyre burns the same way she chanted while reviving Drogo), it just means Dany contributed to the magic of dragon-hatching - and I certainly wouldn't say Dany was entirely superfluous at that pyre; indeed, I'm quite convinced the dragons wouldn't have hatched without her there.

But all the evidence from the text suggests that Dany knew exactly when to enter the pyre - i.e. she knew exactly when she would be immune from burning. That suggests her magic was NOT reliant on anything of Mirri's.

Mirri was singing because she didn't want to scream; she was probably trying to ease her death, but it didn't work. She died, Drogo was burned, and then Dany was permitted to step into the pyre untouched.

Daenerys was most likely suffering from a miscarriage enduced by the berries she was eating. She recalls that her last "moon blood" was a few months ago, indicating that she has continued to have her period after Rhaego's stillbirth.

But all the evidence from the text suggests that Dany knew exactly when to enter the pyre - i.e. she knew exactly when she would be immune from burning. That suggests her magic was NOT reliant on anything of Mirri's.

Mirri was singing because she didn't want to scream; she was probably trying to ease her death, but it didn't work. She died, Drogo was burned, and then Dany was permitted to step into the pyre untouched.

The theory that the fire protection was due to Mirri's spell has serious defects. In my opinion, the most serious one is this: It is very much canonical that the pyre was a miracle, probably a one-time event, at best something that neither Dany nor anyone else will probably ever be able to do again. GRRM has said this. I can give a link if it is desired. The theory in question says that MMD cast a spell. Okay, she's a maegi. She knows spells. Supposedly then, she knows a spell that will protect someone from a fire. This cannot be.

A spell is not a miracle.

Archived