Personal Sigils

John Suburbs

It seems to me that anyone who takes a personal sigil (actually, they are crests or coats of arms, as sigils are more like abstract magical designs) is doing so to distance themselves from their own house. Think Stannis, the Blackfish, the red and green Fossoways...

So in that light, what can we conclude from Littlefinger's mockingbird? Is he just trying to shed the humble beginnings of his own house, or is there something more?

Mockingbirds are said to symbolize everything from intelligence and cleverness to innocence and rebirth, so maybe there is nothing more to it than that. But could there also have been some kind of rift between LF and his father? It's a pity we don't know more about his history, which is odd in itself considering he is such a major character. My guess is that we have yet to learn some surprising facts about who Littlefinger is and where he comes from.

My thoughts on it were always that mocking birds, well, they imitate other birds.

In the ASoIaF series, birds can be found in a few other places. A few examples are the falcon of the Vale's sigil, "little bird"/"little dove" (Sansa), and "Sweetrobin" (Robert Arryn). It seems no coincidence to me that these four "birds" are all closely linked within the plot.

Yep, Little Bird is all over the books.

OT, but I me likey your Trout Mask Replica avatar. :cheers:

Thanks -- I was hoping someone would get the reference. :D It was just too perfect with "Lady Beefheart" and with Cat being a Tully, so Trout Mask Replica was simply poetic.

The mockingbird is an interesting thing. It blends in with other birds by imitating the other birds. It divebombs when its nest is attacked, and is capable of fending off- even killing- larger, fiercer birds. They also are tricked into hatching other birds' eggs. Cowbirds and catbirds lay their eggs in a mockingbird's nest, sometimes breaking the mockingbird's own eggs, and take off. How these traits tie in to LF's character and fate, we'll see more of, I'm sure. And yes, the bird symbology of the Vale and those there isn't an accident.

It seems to me that anyone who takes a personal sigil (actually, they are crests or coats of arms, as sigils are more like abstract magical designs) is doing so to distance themselves from their own house. Think Stannis, the Blackfish, the red and green Fossoways...

Not always though. Robb had one while he was head of House Stark.

Kings frequently have personal arms in addition to the arms of their house.

Oh I did not know that. However in this case I'm almost positive Robb's wolf's head sigil is noted before he's crowned. I think by Bran before he marches south?

The Baelishs took the head of the Titan of Braavos as their sigil, to reflect their Braavosi origins and their martial heritage. LF changed his sigil from the Titan to a mockingbird because he is not martial and because the mockingbird imitates other birds and also symbolises innocence. LF we know is not innocent but to many he is just a humble Master of Coin.

I do hope we learn about LF's family a little bit more. We know LF's father was a warrior, did LF's father treat him like Randyll treated Sam, after LF came back from Riverrun?

Thanks -- I was hoping someone would get the reference. :D It was just too perfect with "Lady Beefheart" and with Cat being a Tully, so Trout Mask Replica was simply poetic.

I thought of Tully with trout too. :D

The odd thing about Littlefinger using the mockingbird is it completely leaves out any reference to his house sigil. Most personal sigils have some reference to the family's house, such as Brynden Tully simply changing the color of the trout, or in the case of Cersei combining Lannister and Baratheon on hers.

But Littlefinger wasn't at all proud of his house. He would just as soon been spring right form the ground, but that wasn't possible. I always thought he chose the mockingbird for its brazen character. I have watched these birds dive bomb my cats, pecking them from the rear as they raced across the lawn seeking cover. They aren't so bold against the dogs, and so it is for Littlefinger. He attacks from the rear against an unsuspecting foe. I doubt he will ever line up against a well-armed foe who sees him coming.

• 3 months later...

Archived