Why has Howland Reed been hiding?

Dr Qyburn M.D

I have many questions about Neds old bff, When will Howland Reed make an appearance and why didnt he declare for Robb when the fighting started..?? Is he really magic?!

He also may have the answer to the riddle of what happened at the Tower of Joy

All feedback is welcome

He did declare for Robb. His people were harrasing the North's enemies from the onset. He also sent his two heirs to WF in the second book to reaffirm their loyalties.

Ok my bad, I never realised this. I thought they only went to WF to guide Bran, I really need to re-read the whole series

I guess after his grand adventure he went back home and stayed there. I think we will see him again to help reveal R+L=J, likely around ADoS.

Because he needed time to learn about the Faith of the Seven without alerting anyone else to his grand conspiracy.

I find that to be highly unlikely. That is a long shot, and what could he possibly want with that? He isn't described as power hungry.

He's certainly the one character I'm most anxious for. Especially now that Jojen is possibly now in paste form, because I would love to hear Howland's reaction.

So come either WOW or ADOS when Howland finally pops up do we get him as a POV character? Or where does he end up in and in whose chapters? Nobody is in The Neck at the moment aside from Mormont and Glover and they haven't been POV characters been either.

There is no secret conspiracies nor fake identities. He's hiding because he knows too much and GRRM can't have him revealing it all yet. That's the real boring reason. :dunno:

This, also the Crannogmen don't come across as particular useful on a traditional battlefield but are incredibly useful where they are. Having their leader stay in the North in a pivotal area seems to make perfect sense strategically.

There is no secret conspiracies nor fake identities. He's hiding because he knows too much and GRRM can't have him revealing it all yet. That's the real boring reason. :dunno:

This.

Same goes for Benjen and Ashara (if she's still alive). GRRM needs them out of the way for now. They'll be let loose when they're really needed.

Personally, I suspect that Howland Reed was badly injured at the Tower of Joy. Perhaps got in the way of a sword blow meant for Ned which has left him with a crippling injury preventing him from traveling.

I know it's a bit mundane compared to a lot of the theories about him but it seems to me to be a realistic explanation for the events surrounding him.

Personally, I suspect that Howland Reed was badly injured at the Tower of Joy. Perhaps got in the way of a sword blow meant for Ned which has left him with a crippling injury preventing him from traveling.

I know it's a bit mundane compared to a lot of the theories about him but it seems to me to be a realistic explanation for the events surrounding him.

That's a good theory. Would explain why he can't travel, but I feel like Jojen or Meera would have mentioned that their lord father couldn't attend Bran because he was incapacitated. However, I guess there could be a reason as to why he hasn't told anyone that he's injured.

Archived