June 2015 Reads

Ferrum Aeternum

Recently read a massive fanfic Culture/Warhammer40k crossover: http://archiveofourown.org/works/649448/chapters/1181375

(it's kinda cool, even if it's avoiding signature characters. Possibly because gameworkshop being assholes?)

and lots of Sailor Moon/Warhammer40k crossovers (Lovehammer!): https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2688729/Lovehammer-Inc

(signature characters aplenty)

I am lost in the sea of fanfiction

Haven't been reading much this year, but have spent some of June reading the Library of America edition of Jack Kerouac's novels, Road Novels 1957-1960. Interesting so far, as I've only previously read The Road out of the five.

I keep devouring Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe novels at a rate of about two a week. (Getting them on kindle because ordering takes to long and price and availability of the originals are not great in Germany, these are the first books I am paying for since I got the kindle 2 years ago.)

This is just about the most entertaining writing I have encountered since Wodehouse and Pratchett and pretty good mysteries with interesting characters seem just a bonus. Also nice glimpses into American middle to upper class society of the mid-30s through late 60s, despite some strong female characters, lots of casual sexism included, so I guess "trigger warnings" are due.

Finished Mel Keegan's Death's Head about a week ago. It was interesting but a rather flawed effort at a gay male science fiction novel. The two main characters are officers in an anti-drug task force at a future time where a new designer drug called Angel is immediately hugely addictive and kills its users within a few years. That combined with the fact that 85% of the male characters are gay (or at least bisexual) and there are only there are very few women would seem to be leading this society to a complete demographic collapse, but that issue is ignored in the novel. There were a lot of other plot holes, too. Still, it was well enough written that I might try something else by the author some day to see if he was able to improve.

Have now just started Elantris, my first Brandon Sanderson.

I am finishing up Knight's Shadow by Sebastien de Castel, book 2 of his Greatcoats series. I really liked the first book, Traitor's Blade, and I'm enjoying this one just as much!

I read a book recc'd upthread, Dawn of Wonder. It has tons of 5 star reviews on Goodreads and on Amazon. It's indie, and cheap, so I thought I'd give it a whirl, even though that title's so saccharine it makes my teeth hurt (and it was embarrassing to tell people what I was reading!)

Well, it blew. 700 pages of suck. I read it anyway. Clunky, clunky writing. I mean, thud - throw me out of the book clunky.

I read Nemesis Games this month - super! And The Mechanical - really good, and unique to me, at least. The Dutch rule the world with mechanical slaves? Oh, yeah.

I read Mark Lawrence's The Liar's Key, and adored it! Thanks, Mark!!!

I read Uprooted at the end of May (loved it!) and that brings me up to date. I dunno what I'll read next - might do some re-reads. Or it's back to the Vorkosigan Saga! I've read through Komarr, and I've really enjoyed the whole series.

It has tons of 5 star reviews on Goodreads and on Amazon. It's indie, and cheap, so I thought I'd give it a whirl, even though that title's so saccharine it makes my teeth hurt (and it was embarrassing to tell people what I was reading!)

Well, it blew. 700 pages of suck.

Everyone learns their lesson at some point. Gotta watch out for those sock puppets. It's pretty much why I rely on message boards for recommendations, or specific people I'm familiar with on Goodreads.

I read a book recc'd upthread, Dawn of Wonder. It has tons of 5 star reviews on Goodreads and on Amazon. It's indie, and cheap, so I thought I'd give it a whirl, even though that title's so saccharine it makes my teeth hurt (and it was embarrassing to tell people what I was reading!)

If you've an mechanical turk account, you can may someone three cents to write a review for Amazon and Goodreads.

Not saying it was done for this book - I don't know it - but it's why both sites have to be taken with a huge grain of salt, as they say.

I finished The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell. Aside from a few issues, I really liked it. It was my first Mitchell book so I'm thinking I might go back and read Cloud Atlas at some point. I'm not sure how long the book was (my Kindle does not give page numbers) but it went by very quickly.

Next up? Half A King I guess. I'm an Abercrombie fanboy and it looks short so hopefully I'll finish quick and move on to more of my backlog.

Alright! I'm starting A Civil Campaign, # 12 in the Vorkosigan Saga. I just finished Knight's Shadow, book 2 in Greatcoats by Sebastien de Castel.

Excellent. Low magic, but enough! Intrigue, treachery, and violence mixed with humor, valor, and heartbreak. The characters are very engaging and the plot is compelling with lots of twists and turns. Really strong second book in a 4 part series.

Archived