If you were Ned after the Tower of Joy would you give Dawn back?

BitsOfBrains

So here you are, forced to trek across literally the entire continent because some entitled pretty boy ran off with your 13 year old sister. There stands these 3 arrogant jerks who bad mouth your best friend to your face (a best friend that their boss ordered to be killed along with you by the way) and you give them the chance to do the right thing and let you at your sister who is your responsibility and property by law.

Instead of doing the decent thing they fight and kill 5 of your truest most loyal friends who have been through hell with you. Once you deal with them you find out that not only did they keep your sister from you but they didn't take care of her (unless there was an unmentioned maester there feverishly trying to heal her) and she dies.

At least it isn't a total loss. Sure they have killed thousands of your countrymen, your entire family other than your little brother, and your best pals but at least one of the corpses has this awesome sword. Possibly the illest sword ever.

If it's me I keep the sword. Those a holes owe me at least that much.

Even if I had the hots for the dead jerks sister I keep the sword.

I have Ice back at home.

Yeah but you know what's better than a giant magic sword?

TWO giant magic swords.

Also you could sell it or something.

Maybe I would ransom it back to the Dayned in exchange for High Hermitage.

A cadet branch of the Starks down in Dorne would be excellent.

Yeah but you know what's better than a giant magic sword?

TWO giant magic swords.

Also you could sell it or something.

Maybe I would ransom it back to the Dayned in exchange for High Hermitage.

A cadet branch of the Starks down in Dorne would be excellent.

Tywin would buy it for half the gold of Casterly Rock. But that' not my point.

It's the sword from someone he respected. I know what I'd do.

It depends. Do I respect the man that owned it and his family? In the case of Arthur Dayne, that answer is yes. Yeah, I'd most likely do the same thing that Ned did.

In fact, I might even return the sword even if I didn't particularly respect the man that owned it. If the shoe were on the other foot, I wouldn't want someone to deprive my heirs of such an item. Even if an enemy, I might well allow him that same dignity.

If I was Ned at the Tower of Joy I probably would have died.

But yeah if I had Dawn I likely would have sold it. Then again, I'm not in love with Ashara, or Warden of the North. In either case, it's kind of expected of me, no?

It depends. Do I respect the man that owned it and his family? In the case of Arthur Dayne, that answer is yes. Yeah, I'd most likely do the same thing that Ned did.

In fact, I might even return the sword even if I didn't particularly respect the man that owned it. If the shoe were on the other foot, I wouldn't want someone to deprive my heirs of such an item. Even if an enemy, I might well allow him that same dignity.

Even after his team absconded with your sister, murdered your brother, and roasted your father alive?

You are a better man than me I guess but I am not entirely sure everyone is being honest here. We are talking about an item that's worth the modern day equivalent of millions of dollars and under the rules of warfare it is considered a spoil of war so it's not like taking it makes you a crook or anything.

Even after his team absconded with your sister, murdered your brother, and roasted your father alive?

You are a better man than me I guess but I am not entirely sure everyone is being honest here. We are talking about an item that's worth the modern day equivalent of millions of dollars and under the rules of warfare it is considered a spoil of war so it's not like taking it makes you a crook or anything.

I don't really see it as 'his team' though. Arthur Dayne was only doing his sworn duty. Whether he condoned or supported those acts, I don't know for sure, but based on reputation, I strongly doubt it.

And yes, I'm being completely honest, because, as I said, I would want my enemy to treat me and my family with the same dignity and respect.

...and you are a trillionaire. For you, the material worth is pocket change.

You also have to take in to account how awsome you look to the babes when your one shotin trees. Seriously though you have to think of his families honor and how much the miss and want him back so you would have to atleast go one shot all there trees. I mean if Asahara saw me chopping them down she might not have jumped. I mean i am pretty awsome.

...and you are a trillionaire. For you, the material worth is pocket change.

Are the Starks that rich? They aren't flashy so it's hard to tell if they have any real loot or not. I'm not sure there was ever any real discussion of how rich the Starks are or are not. Other than the fact that White Harbor has tons of silver the North doesn't seem to have much in the way of wealth as Asha points out.

It would bring eternal shame down on House Stark. I'm Lord of the North, do I really need to steal some house's ancestral sword for the feel-goods? Even Tywin at least had the decency to melt Ice down before passing it off as a Lannister heirloom, and I doubt you could do the same thing with Dawn.

How does keeping a sword won through combat bring down eternal shame. We are talking about a man who stopped him from seeing his dying sister and probably kill half the men he went there with. This same dude's king was just dethroned and and be proxy he is no longer a kings guard. At this point Dayne is just a kidnapper or in the very least and accomplices to kidnapping. Doesn't matter that he possibly is protecting his best friends possible child. Ned is not Robert and in no way would harm his sister or child. Dayne would know that. So if anyone is bringing down eternal shame on his family is Sir Arthur Dyane himself. Now back to choppin down trees.

I absolutely would return it. Those "jerks" were guarding my sister during the war, and they fought and died nobly for the vow they all made. It would be a shame to ride them down, even though I'd totally do it. The least I can do is return the ancestral sword of their leader to his family.

Archived