Possible doomsday prediction for books?

Dejection

So battle of Winterfell, crappy illogical logistically impossible shit that it was in the show, has happened whereas it hasn't in the books. Well we haven't read it. Meaning for anyone still desperate enough to take the badly written fanfiction err I mean HBO Game of Thrones show as a serious adaptation of the books, does this mean the WF battle is spoiled for you?

Since a season comes out per year, could this mean A Dream of Spring will be spoiled too seeing as GRRM gonna take ages to get it out?

Im suddenly worried.

Duh, of course ADOS will be spoiled.

I don't mind though, no more than I did watching LOTR before reading the books. The important things are in the details. Sure, I knew Jon was going to die in Dance, but it didn't really affect my reading of the chapter. I will not be watching, so all the little details I get from not hiding under a rock won't bother me.

What saddens me is that even sole show watching people who watched it wen it was brilliant, fail to see what low grade fanfiction it has become. I literally, literally went into depression when Stannis

burned Shireen. And despite the numbness the ridiculous battle of Winterfell dealt me another harsh blow of OH GOD WHY.

It is a sin; everything they've done to Stannis' character is a sin. Jaime too. Cersei too. It's just basically a 'You must love Dany, Jon and Tyrion! There is nothing else in this series!' from Benioff and Weiss being shoved down our throats. I hate them so much.

Duh, of course ADOS will be spoiled.

I don't mind though, no more than I did watching LOTR before reading the books. The important things are in the details. Sure, I knew Jon was going to die in Dance, but it didn't really affect my reading of the chapter.

Agreed. People make a big deal out of the handful of shock twists in the books, but really, they're not the reason for the enduring success of this series.1 Otherwise, people wouldn't be on their third reread. Yes, GRRM is a former Twilight Zone writer, but he's a lot more than that....

And there's really nothing else here besides an anti-D&D rant, which I don't think belongs in the book forums.

1 And the same is true even with the show. My unsullied friends were arguing about how far into the season Joffrey would be assassinated, and whether it would be the Tyrells, Littlefinger, or Tywin who did it, and whether it would be the Tyrells, Tyrion, or Sansa who got blamed for it. None of them were shocked when it happened, but they all enjoyed it.

What saddens me is that even sole show watching people who watched it wen it was brilliant, fail to see what low grade fanfiction it has become. I literally, literally went into depression when Stannis

burned Shireen. And despite the numbness the ridiculous battle of Winterfell dealt me another harsh blow of OH GOD WHY.

It is a sin; everything they've done to Stannis' character is a sin. Jaime too. Cersei too. It's just basically a 'You must love Dany, Jon and Tyrion! There is nothing else in this series!' from Benioff and Weiss being shoved down our throats. I hate them so much.

Hmmm. I like book Jon A LOT more than show Jon who I view as a bit simple.

Book Jon...

-Decides to sends Sam away to become a maester

-Probably saved Aemon from getting burned

-Probably saved Mance's son from getting burned

-He's thinking about how to appease the Lannisters despite Stannis (it doesn't work but at least he is aware of the issue)

-Negotiated in a more realistic way to ensure the wildlings behaved

-Tells Stannis where to find men

-Sends Mance to rescue Arya

-Plots the Karstark succession with Alys Karstark marriage

-Mans additional forts along the wall

-Instigates archery practice for all Nights watch breaking their "knightly tradition" of close arms.

This was all just off the top of my head. He comes across as a much more worldly and less naive version of Ned Stark. Yet show Jon is almost a carbon copy of Ned, all the subtle clever things he did were cut out, and that irritates me quite a lot. Even Kit Harrington said he saw the characters weakness being exactly the same as his father. Of course in the book you get to hear his thoughts which also helps. The chapter he executes Janos Slynt was just so much better in the book.

I didn't really like Jon until Dance of Dragons, but is probably my favorite character after that.

Who wouldn't rant against the two fellows who turned the best thing on TV to a platform for projecting their own dumb opinions onto the whole fanbase.

Anyone who wants to follow the rules of the forum, or who doesn't want their thread to be locked. Anyone who wants to talk about something in the books without derailing it for a completely irrelevant discussion. Anyone who doesn't like making themselves angry for no good reason.

Hmmm. I like book Jon A LOT more than show Jon who I view as a bit simple.

Book Jon...

-Decides to sends Sam away to become a maester

-Probably saved Aemon from getting burned

-Probably saved Mance's son from getting burned

-He's thinking about how to appease the Lannisters despite Stannis (it doesn't work but at least he is aware of the issue)

-Negotiated in a more realistic way to ensure the wildlings behaved

-Tells Stannis where to find men

-Sends Mance to rescue Arya

-Plots the Karstark succession with Alys Karstark marriage

-Mans additional forts along the wall

-Instigates archery practice for all Nights watch breaking their "knightly tradition" of close arms.

This was all just off the top of my head. He comes across as a much more worldly and less naive version of Ned Stark. Yet show Jon is almost a carbon copy of Ned, all the subtle clever things he did were cut out, and that irritates me quite a lot. Even Kit Harrington said he saw the characters weakness being exactly the same as his father. Of course in the book you get to hear his thoughts which also helps. The chapter he executes Janos Slynt was just so much better in the book.

I didn't really like Jon until Dance of Dragons, but is probably my favorite character after that.

:agree:

Same with Dany, she's just awful after season 1, while in the books she is kinda ok.

ETA: I suspect that the next two seasons will resemble the books only loosely, so watching them won't really spoil anything since it's a different story and it could all be different. 90% of the book-characters don't even exist anyway, and others don't really matter while in the books they have some minor or not-so-minor arc. I kind of hope that in either the books or the show everyone just dies, end of story, that's it for humanity, the Others rule, while in the other medium there is a happy-end (or more like a not-that-sad-end).

Archived