Why did GRRM slow down so much?

KingStannisFan

It's his editor's fault that he had to make a lot of plots and subplots. IIRC, Martin wanted 4 books but Groell insisted. She said, "Seven books for Seven Kingdoms." That may be the reason why he had to create storylines so hard to close.

I could be wrong though.

It's his editor's fault that he had to make a lot of plots and subplots. IIRC, Martin wanted 4 books but Groell insisted. She said, "Seven books for Seven Kingdoms." That may be the reason why he had to create storylines so hard to close.

I could be wrong though.

I think it's pretty clear why someone who was writing for a living would write faster than someone who is set for life and doesn't have to deal with any hard deadlines. I'm sure there are many other factors, but we shouldn't pretend this isn't one. 

I could be wrong though.

If thats true then george loses some respect because he chose what editor said than what good for the story ..i hope it isnt the reason

if u r looking for a conspiracy theories OP some complain even this site and its owners for GRRM's slowness

but personally i think george lost his way when he focused more and went with more gardening and expanding the story ..he got struck in the middle and cant pull back to orginal story like he intended and hence the constant blocks he is facing

I could be wrong though.

I could be wrong though.

I could be wrong though.

George wanted a trilogy but then he saw the story is nowhere to end...I think she said that after George realized the story is too long to finish in 3 books.

As for the reason why GRRM slowed down... no idea. But I think @RumHam is on the point, it should be one of the reasons.

Stories and characters took on lives on their own, yet he has a vision for the ending he wants. I'm sure he writes and rewrites entire chapters trying to move things in the proper direction for A Dream of Spring. Plus he has all the interviews and events he goes to, his collaboration with the show, etc. And the man has, you know, a life. Even if he writes eight hours a day I'm sure he can spend that entire time on only one key sequence of dialogue, trying to get it right and stay true to the characters. 

Archived