Season 8 Final Battle for Westeros

UFT

give me your thoughts on how you imagine it will look, who survives and who will lead the armies of humanity when the dead finally descend upon them. 

will it happen at all?

There will be a final battle but who will be the two sides may not be what we currently expect. Who is to says that Bran Stark and co will not have to fight off Dany and her hordes after Bran and allies defeat the Others. Or will humanity unite (Bran, Jon and Dany) vs the Others as it appears to be probable?

I expect the others to have Pyrrhic victory in the north where they route the humans but might be in no position to push further south. Maybe they agree to a peace and layout borders between the others and humans.

I also expect a battle between Dany, Euron and maybe stannis at harrenhal where Euron and Dany each control one dragon and Bran might be controlling the third dragon to aid stannis, eventually all three dragons die along with Dany and Euron leaving stannis with a costly victory. Stannis will then make harrenhal his new capital ( kingslanding having been burned by Dany or cersei) and set about rebuilding.

The end.

I expect the others to have Pyrrhic victory in the north where they route the humans but might be in no position to push further south. Maybe they agree to a peace and layout borders between the others and humans.

I also expect a battle between Dany, Euron and maybe stannis at harrenhal where Euron and Dany each control one dragon and Bran might be controlling the third dragon to aid stannis, eventually all three dragons die along with Dany and Euron leaving stannis with a costly victory. Stannis will then make harrenhal his new capital ( kingslanding having been burned by Dany or cersei) and set about rebuilding.

The end.

Stannis died

Really a small chance? what is gained from keeping him around his storyline rushed and with some very poorly written elements ended well enough.

Because he's the only major character in place to liberate the north from the boltons. Fanboys might think Jon will become king in the end but realistically he has no opening to do that, he's a man of the Nights watch and being stabbed won't change that.

So that leaves stannis.

In the books its clear stannis is alive and he's poised to win at winterfell and if that's true the show can't avoid that. they could change the context a bit, like have stannis lose his personal army and rely on a northern army as I think will be the case on the show, but they can't have him dead while he's very much alive in the book and gaining more support.

There is a reason why the death of both stannis and Jon snow was on the last episode of the season. Its a cliff hanger. If either of the two were dead it would have been episode 9 and they would have made it gory, then episode 10 would have dealt with the fall out of their death, just like the red wedding and Ned's death.

The way stannis' supposed death was setup strongly hinted at his survival. [spoiler]GOT season 5 ending is very reminiscent of hannibal season 2 ending, with all the fake deaths. 4 people are shown dying in the last episode but 3 of them live of course because the plot demands it. [/spoiler]

Because he's the only major character in place to liberate the north from the boltons. Fanboys might think Jon will become king in the end but realistically he has no opening to do that, he's a man of the Nights watch and being stabbed won't change that.

So that leaves stannis.

In the books its clear stannis is alive and he's poised to win at winterfell and if that's true the show can't avoid that. they could change the context a bit, like have stannis lose his personal army and rely on a northern army as I think will be the case on the show, but they can't have him dead while he's very much alive in the book and gaining more support.

There is a reason why the death of both stannis and Jon snow was on the last episode of the season. Its a cliff hanger. If either of the two were dead it would have been episode 9 and they would have made it gory, then episode 10 would have dealt with the fall out of their death, just like the red wedding and Ned's death.

The way stannis' supposed death was setup strongly hinted at his survival. [spoiler]GOT season 5 ending is very reminiscent of hannibal season 2 ending, with all the fake deaths. 4 people are shown dying in the last episode but 3 of them live of course because the plot demands it. [/spoiler]

why is it a given that the North will be liberated from the Boltons? 

George has hinted, in interviews, about the final confrontation with the Others being a honking Gotterdammerung.
(Will they ever call Others that on the show? I don't buy the argument about confusion over the name with another TV show.)
Something bigger than The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.
GRRM has said things get so big a 200 million dollar IMAX movie is needed!
(Hmm IMAX... where have we seen that before?)

One thing to speculate on if The Others are the common enemy and it's gonna take a united effort , Westeros and Essos(?) to defeat them, what
irreducible group of characters are needed for to lead the forces? Not matter who is alive on the last pages of the story.
One might say Dany and Dragons and whatever forces she can thrown against them would represent Essos.
Before recent events I would have said Stannis and Jon leading Westerosi forces with the help of Davos, Jamie, Brienne and any lords with
Valyrian swords! The Ironborn and Dorne and whoever else is alive!
(I would have figured Ser Barry in this mix, but not so sure now.)
Arya and Sansa and Rickon in some unknown way.
Bran in some kind of Great-spirit-in-the-sky-way.

Those are just guesses , one reason, with two books to go, I don't want any more major characters introduced. I want to get to the end.

If I have to speculate I would wager on Dany and Jon both being around at the end and Dany dying, Jon perhaps heading north to the lands of always winter rather than becoming King.  The interesting piece is Tyrion perhaps he is the person who sits on the throne (not that I actually believe there will be one).

There may be no known limits to Bran's power. Also, there is a slight possibility that he too, may, may be able to bring "people back". At least in the books. Bran I think is the key to defeating the Others and we all know, he is the true heir to Robb and King in the North over Jon or Rickon, whether he is able to ever come forward and claim what is rightfully his remains to be seen.

why is it a given that the North will be liberated from the Boltons? 

how else will the starks be restored? If boltons aren't dealt with its status quo and the nights watch may be in danger. For the story to progress things need to be shaken up in the north. Martin didn't go through all the northern stuff just so things go back to how they were after the red wedding.

So that leaves stannis.

You a stickler for hope on this one aren't you? SInce it looks like they aren't filming till oct. we got some time before I can declare stannis is officially dead but as I said in the other thread- what point is there keeping him alive?

That being said there are 3 interesting scene's back in season 5- Littlefinger and Sansa, Brienne and pod, Sansa, lf, and brienne,. The LF/Sansa tomb was interesting because LF has YET to be wrong in the show. His character almost seems to be super in regards to this- why would they make him wrong here? WHat conquenence does it have? He wasn't wrong about Ramsay- he didn't know anything about him. Brienne and Pods scene links to sansa and LF's and hers in the bar- nobody believes her- not even joffery during the wedding. SO even if she kills stannis she is marked for life as a kingslayer.

Of course- the show also didn't foreshadow Stannis's death either. It always forshadows peoples death. This whole thing stinks of terrible writing no matter which way it pans out.

Archived