American Idol

RedSock in Westeros

I'm sure they will all pick Beatles hits, rather than obscure album tracks. They nearly always do when limited to one artist. Sometimes, it hurts them because there are album tracks that they could do really well, and would suit them, but in general, I think the audience prefers songs they are already familiar with

This is the Beatles.....even their "obscure" tracks have gotten play.

Though you are probably correct, but with the Beatles you are talking like 40 to 50 tracks that would be considered hits.

Do we know it's going to be Lennon/McCartney night next week or are we just having fun here?

They take great pains to say Lennon/McCartney on the show as if they have cracked the world's safest vault.

The more I think about it, this might be a pretty good theme night, since the songs are varied enough in tone from gentle acoustic to piano ballads to wacked out experimental to straight up rock that it's fair to the competition. It's the weeks when they go all one genre (disco, country, Bert Bacharach, etc) that seem somewhat unfair and are getting a little tired at this point. Disco night especially.

Do we know it's going to be Lennon/McCartney night next week or are we just having fun here?

They take great pains to say Lennon/McCartney on the show as if they have cracked the world's safest vault.

The more I think about it, this might be a pretty good theme night, since the songs are varied enough in tone from gentle acoustic to piano ballads to wacked out experimental to straight up rock that it's fair to the competition. It's the weeks when they go all one genre (disco, country, Bert Bacharach, etc) that seem somewhat unfair and are getting a little tired at this point. Disco night especially.

:agree:

On a side note, what did everyone think of Blake's performance last night?

Unlistenable. I changed the channel and then changed it back to see if my ears were deceiving me, but his voice is very reedy/weak and his eyes are as vacant as ever. And the footwork was fun the first time he did it last year, but now it just looks like he's got a weird form of dancing tourettes that he can't help.

Sometimes they hit on the show, sometimes they miss. He's going to be in the miss pile, unfortunately. Nice kid, though.

Unlistenable. I changed the channel and then changed it back to see if my ears were deceiving me, but his voice is very reedy/weak and his eyes are as vacant as ever. And the footwork was fun the first time he did it last year, but now it just looks like he's got a weird form of dancing tourettes that he can't help.

Sometimes they hit on the show, sometimes they miss. He's going to be in the miss pile, unfortunately. Nice kid, though.

I liked him last year, and I thought that he could be successful. But that song just sucked.

He may end up like Bo Bice, in the regard that they both did very well on the show.... should do well in the recording industry, but have had shitty songs written for them.

I really think Chikezie should 've gone. Danny Noriega was a lot more entertaining/interesting than most of the contestants. Every week so far I've looked forward to his performances and laughed at things he did. He made the guys night more interesting for me. Chikezie is boring and obnoxious as hell and I hope he is gone soon. He cotinues to underwhelm me with his boring performances.

At this point in the season I'm liking the girls a lot more and I might actually vote for someone in the next week or two.

Ok Prediction time: Rank the top 12, who goes in what order.

12: Ramiele One too many blah performances The other bottom 2: Chikezie and Amanda

11: Chikesie One name doesn't cut it The other bottom 2: Amanda and David H.

10: David H. Another so-so performance and Vote for the worst starts pulling for Amanda The other bottom 2: Amanda and Michael Johns

9: Micheal Johns Should be Amanda but she keeps hanging on The other bottom 2: Vote for the worst actaully pulls Amanda out of the bottom 3 and puts Brooke and Syesha here

8: Amanda Her luck runs out. After a good week, nobody votes for her. The other bottom 2: Syesha and Castro accompany her.

7: Syesha Amazed that she got this far but just not good enough to get into the top talent. The other bottom 2: Kristy Lee though amazed that she gets this far, is one of those dark horses that gets better every week and Jason Castro again.

6: Jason Castro The good vibes finally end. Just out performed by the other The other bottom 2: Brooke and Kristy Lee

5: Brooke A good showing but sweet and innocent only get you so far. The other bottom 2: Cook and Kristy Lee

4: Carly People stop voting for her because they figure she's got her contract now. The other bottom 2: David A. and Kristy Lee

3: Kristy Lee Despite being a dark horse, its not enough to take on the top 2

2: david A.

1: David Cook It comes down to the big voice versus the rocker. It really could go either way, but I think the rocker finally prevails.

Is this "Idol Gives Back," week? I thought that's when they said the Lennon/McCartney songs were going to get broken out.

They were kind of vague about the the whole Lennon / McCartney songs thing (though I could have sworn that Taylor Hicks did a Beatles song in season 5, but I may be mistaken)

Maybe they are not having a Lennon / McCartney week, but giving them the ability to select their songs when they fit the theme.

Amanda is going DESTROY any Beatles song she sings.

And I don't mean destroy in a cool, young, hip way. She's going to KILL it. I don't mean THAT in a hip way, either. Okay, she's going to murder it. That's clear enough, right?

Just off the top of my head, Amanda could do an awesome Get Back or Yer Blues. Heck she might not even be too bad on Helter Skelter or Why Don't We Do It In The Road? or I've Got A Feeling.

I mean, when she's on, she does a really credible job with blues material.

In S5, Hicks did "Something" which is a George Harrison song - not Lennon/McCartney.

YW's Predictions:

12. Kristy Lee Cook: Fake ass country is going home.

11. Chikezie

10. David H: Gets lost in the confusion of Davids

9. Amanda: Probably due to another horrible hair stylist decision

8. Jason Castro: Cant compete with the other vocal talents

7. David Cook: Fake ass rock is going home

6. Michael Johns: More fake ass rock is going home

5. Ramiele: The Phillipines couldnt save her this time

4. Syesha

3. Carly

2. Brooke

1. David Archuleta: Its this kid's season to lose...and I dont see the teen vote going away anytime soon.

YW

Guest Domaine Raidneé

I'm gonna predict it like this:

The not enough (good) personality crew:

(12) Chikezie - just kinda sleazy - referred to making a song your own as "putting my stank on it"

(11) Ramiele - no personality

(10) David H - too gay stripper

(9) Kristy Lee - Too forgettable

(8) Syesha - She reminds of Stephanie Edwards (who I loved), and that's about as far as she made it

The lack of sufficient vocal talent crew

(7) Michael Johns - at some point, people like me are going to realize that even though the guy's kinda hot, he can't really sing all that well

(6) Amanda - it could be sooner, and it could be later, but at some point we're all going to realize that she only sounds good singing one style of music, if then

(5) Jason Castro - okay, I actually think he really can sing, but his voice doesn't have any idol-style power

The final four

(4) Carly - people just aren't going to support her any further - she's already had her shot

(3) Brooke - I think she's great, but I don't think she can ultimately compete against the Davids

(2) David Cook - I'd like to think he'd be the winner, but it never happens. The rocker is always #2 (or lower)

(1) David A - it's kind of a no-brainer, isn't it? Melinda never showed as much range as I'm sure David A is going to.

Guest Domaine Raidneé

Sorry to post twice, but in other related news my mother-in-law just announced over the phone that I look just like Carly. :ack: Now, she just called back to reiterate it again, and to tell me that we even have similar mannerisms.

I knew there was a reason that I kept thinking, geez, I kinda like Carly but I just can't stand her face.

Some of that was really good. On the other hand, some of it was horrific and they completely shit all over some of my favorite songs (including "In My Life," which is my favorite song of all time. Boo!)

More complete comments tomorrow (boo Music Theory homework!), but David Hernandez and Kristy Lee are the bottom two. They have to be. I thought Brooke and David Cook were the best tonight.

Archived