American Idol

RedSock in Westeros

Poor night. I guess that the Beatles just had a lot of boring, bland album tracks andfor some reason, the contestants picked those.

David A and Syesha were good, though Yesterday is such a well known song, that you have to really screw it up to not do well with it. David C was ok, but he runs the risk of being boring and predictable. Brooke took a chance at doing something a little different - she too was in danger of being boring, and it failed, suggesting she has no versatility and from now on we will be seeing the same thing from her each week. Amanda didn't take a chance, but came right out and told us we will be seeing the same from her each week. Hopefully America will spare my ears and vote her out.

Was there a pattern to the performances? 5,6 and 7 - the middle three seemed to be the three who had the strongest performances last week

Last night was probably one of the worst overall nights in American Idol history, imo. I only counted Archuleta and Syesha as being anywhere close to respectable in terms of singing well. Everyone else was pretty bad, with quite a few hovering around the "train wreck" side of the spectrum.

I only disagree with the Archuleta bit - cos I was bored sh*tless. Syesha was the best IMO and she would get my vote if we were allowed to.

Missed the second hald due to a baseball draft, but ill agree with the over all blah assessment.

Brief thumbnails of what I saw

Brooke, I liked it til she stood up and tried to kinda sorta dance.

Wedge she's a cheating on you with her hubby! She even brought him last night

Kristy, much better than last week. of course it would have been hard to be much worse.

Johns, That was my favorite performance of his since the auditions. To bad its not not a compliment. Love that song, and he missed way too many notes, and it ended up way too choppy.

Acheleta. Very very good technically. Personally I dont care for his voice. Still think his niche is the Josh Grobin market.

Amanada. So when I stop in Elkart, I'll look up the dive joint you are playing in. Thats really all you are good enough for. no range at all. alternate yelling and mumbling doesnt do it for me.

Ok, as good as I thought Lennon/McCartney night was, Beatles night was horrible. It wasn't the song choices but the arrangements. Of the 11, only David A., David C, and Sysha's were any good. The rest blew chunks (Well Carly's wasn't all that bad)..... :sick:

David A. I guess redeemed himself a little bit. David C. was the best in my opinion.

The bottom 3 this week.... Kristy Lee (again), Michael Johns, and Ramiele (mainly because she is boring)

On a side note, has anyone noticed that Carly seems to be gaining weight? Usually the trend is for Idol contestants to become more in shape not the other way around.

Carly's Audition

I wonder if she is pregnant. (I can't find a picture from last night's performance)

On a side note, has anyone noticed that Carly seems to be gaining weight? Usually the trend is for Idol contestants to become more in shape not the other way around.

Carly's Audition

I wonder if she is pregnant. (I can't find a picture from last night's performance)

Meh. That audition photo she's wearing all black. Black is slimming.

Last night she had that I Just Won The Kentucky Derby rose wreath on. Kind of unflattering to her.

Yeah, the stylists apparently hate Carly. People on the show tend to get a lot better looking (proof - see Clay Aiken, Elliott Yamin)... but Carly seems to be headed the other direction.

As for the show:

Amanda: did her boozy bar skank thing, to not much effect. But she kinda won me over with her acceptance of the fact that she'll be rocking bars in LaFayette soon.

David A: did the only great performance of the night. And it's no big surprise that he was one of the few that just stood and delivered the tune. He didn't need a vocoder, a foggy mountain breakdown, or dreadlocks or any other gimmicks. Just a kid with a great voice. He's back to being the frontrunner he should be.

Kristy: Okay, I cut her some slack last week, but this was unpardonable. I don't care how hot you are... that was just really, really, really wrong. On every level.

David C: Aside from the unnecessary Framptonosity, it was actually a lot better for me than his version of Rigby last week. Still, must he rock so damned hard? Like every week? By the top 3 is he going to be setting shit on fire and vomiting on Simon? Wait... never mind, I really want to see that. So keep going.

Brooke: So now we know that it's definitely possible to over-cute and over-annoy for 2 full minutes of awkward smiling, listless shuffling, and some weak singing. But what really sucks is her inability to shut up and accept judging. I think that may actually be her undoing. Aside from the fact that she's boring.

Syesha: Good lord she's attractive. And not too terribly bad, either. Not great, mind you... but still it was a rather straightforward take on a great song, marred only by a bit of oversinging. Still, on a crap night like this one, she shines.

Michael: Who told you to do A Day In The Life? Bad, bad, bad idea. Really just a big mess.

Castro: Goofy pretty much sums it up. The dopey nodding, mumbling and grinning just makes him come off a little ree-ree. Sorta like a dreadlocked Boo Radley. Still, he picks better songs than most and even if he doesn't have a killer voice, at least he doesn't overdo it.

Carly: I love Blackbird. I hated this version of it. But like all of Carly's performances, I have to admire the technical proficiency. She's a great singer. And very comfortable on stage. But so are most professionals. And yeah, she's getting less attractive each week. And they're showing her creepy husband again, so maybe the producers want America to hate her.

Chikezie: I dug it last week. And even if it was creepy and schizo... I sorta dug it again. Admittedly, it's not what I'd want to listen to on the radio or anything. But on a show this boring and predictable... it's a bit refreshing in a crazy way. And again, he manages to pick the best song of the night. I think he might actually know who the Beatles are.

Ramiele: This was sad. I've never seen a performance where I thought the singer just didn't identify with the material in any way whatsoever. Doing a second week of the Beatles must have been really, really hard on this little Aguilera-wannabe. But that song was godawful and reeked of a high school talent show. I think she's headed home within the next few weeks.

I agree with Simon that extending the theme for a second week was an awful idea. As much material as their was to work with, we still saw everyone's second choice and it showed.

I disagree the it was the theme, but rather the arrangements (which maybe is true because they were just Beatled out) The arrangements REALLY sucked, whomever is helping out with the arrangements this year is not doing a very good job. It seems to be getting worse as the competition goes on.

And yeah, she's getting less attractive each week. And they're showing her creepy husband again, so maybe the producers want America to hate her.

I don't know about less attractive (I think she is just so-so where looks are concerned), but she does seem to be gaining weight in the face.

I find it a bit ridiculous that anyone can blame the Beatles for last night purely craptacular performance from these "kids." Fact is, there's plenty of good material there. A hell of a lot more than there is on most of their terrible theme nights. If I were an American Idol, I'd rather take another stab at the greatest songbook of all time, rather than try to revitalize the music of Barry Manilow or some other such dud.

I find it a bit ridiculous that anyone can blame the Beatles for last night purely craptacular performance from these "kids." Fact is, there's plenty of good material there. A hell of a lot more than there is on most of their terrible theme nights. If I were an American Idol, I'd rather take another stab at the greatest songbook of all time, rather than try to revitalize the music of Barry Manilow or some other such dud.

I agree, but they should not have done the same theme back to back. In retrospect, it would have served better to wait a few weeks and then bring it back.

And where's my Punk Night??

I agree, but they should not have done the same theme back to back. In retrospect, it would have served better to wait a few weeks and then bring it back.

And where's my Punk Night??

My wife came up with the idea that they should do a Who's Tommy night. Maybe Amanda wouldn't suck if she could do "Acid Queen"

Carly's Audition

I just checked out your link... you don't need a picture from last night, check out their portrait shots on the top bar of that same page. She's definitely got a lot more chunk to her in that shot.

Yes, most of them knew a couple songs last week, but most of them had no idea what to sing this week. I started to watch Good Eats because I was tired of having them mumble Beatles songs and the judges saying the same thing over and over again.

...and the judges saying the same thing over and over again.

I totally tune Paula out any more. Randy occasionally can come out with something and Simon when he isn't trying to be a jerk has constructive critism.

If this show goes to season 8 (which there is no reason to think it won't) They need new judges

I totally tune Paula out any more. Randy occasionally can come out with something and Simon when he isn't trying to be a jerk has constructive critism.

If this show goes to season 8 (which there is no reason to think it won't) They need new judges

I do not want to sound like some grumpy old guy, but more and more now, I will watch them sing and then change the channel before the judges blabber on and that waste of breath Seacrest starts to talk.

I do think that it is funny that when Paula or Randy say something nice about the singer nobody cares, but Simon says one nice thing, the singer about brakes down and cries. The crowd annoys me to cheering every good comment and booing every bad comment even when the songs sucks big time.

David C: Aside from the unnecessary Framptonosity,

There can never be too much Framtonosity, unless, of course, it's Frampton. Then it's too much.

Still, must he rock so damned hard?

This is rhetorical, right? I mean, is there any other way to rock?

I believe it is still possible to be rocked gently. But only if you're a qualified expert.

And even if they'd taken a few weeks before doing the Beatles catalog again, it would more than likely mean we'd have to suffer through a week of "an exciting take on the timeless music of Air Supply" or some worse theme. I think either way, we all lose.

Why all the comments about the female contestants' looks? Come to think of it, even on the show, it's usually the female contestants whose looks are commented upon. Except for Simon, Simon talks about everyone's looks. Paula tells the females they look beautiful to soften them up for her softball criticisms. Randy comments on their shoes.

Why am I still watching this show?

Last night was rather blah. I liked David A. My husband thought he was boring. Michael Johns arrangement of A Day in the Life sucked. Brooke's performance was ... awkward. I liked Syesha this week. I want Ramiele to stick around even though she is rather boring on stage. I guess I don't want to see her breakdown sobbing when she gets cut.

Guest Domaine Raidneé

It really gets to me how many of the contestants seem like they've been learning Beatles songs for the first time these last couple weeks.

Personally, I think Brooke should have sang the Long and Winding Road and Amanda should have sung Oh Darling. But instead everyone's in this situation that Syesha was in where she's listening to Yesterday for the first time this last week. Seriously?

I still like Jason Castro even though I wasn't huge on his version of Michelle this week. Not like I think he should win or anything, he's just my favorite. I think Carly or David Cook should probably win.

we'd have to suffer through a week of "an exciting take on the timeless music of Air Supply" or some worse theme.

Hey now, that could really work. I could see Cook really rocking out on "Making Love Out of Nothing At All". Not to mention all the faux(or not so faux) homosexual banter between Simon and Ryan that would ensue. :P

Crap, now I've got the honest to god urge to listen to Sweet Dreams on the ride home. If only I had it on my iPod instead of all the cool music that I do have.

Archived