Best Woman Fantasy Authors

The Anti-Targ

Oh, here is an actual recommendation!

Don't know why i didn't think of it earlier, but Cherie Priest writes some nice steam punk.

Seconded. Boneshaker is plenty of fun, if not exactly enough to make me into some huge steampunk fan. The books are relatively short and YAish too, if not actually YA, I think, per the long ago OP. (though I suppose thats not really a valid thread criteria anymore.)

:stunned:

Then you are WRONG. I hope reading some of the recs you've been given will help you realize that.

Oh my goodness gracious no. No no no. No.

What are you people saying here? That women do not all think /act like Bella? Granted I am not a woman, but I think you are wrong on this one.

Again, why the hell does Octavia Butler never get any love on these 'female rec' threads?

Because the original poster specifically asked about authors of fantasy, while Butler (and Tiptree) wrote mainly science fiction.

I haven't seen enough mentions of one of my favorite authors (and probably second favorite series, behind ASOIAF). Julian May. Her Pliocene Exile stuff is wonderful and within a year or two age appropriate. It is kind of a mish-mash of fantasy and sci-fi.

I don't think I've mentioned her in this thread, but for YA stuff, Jane Yolen wrote a delightful series of stories set in the same world. The first, an omnibus of two books (White Jenna and Sister Light, Sister Dark), is called The Books of Great Alta and the second is The One-Armed Queen. Both have a distinct structure/framing device, but I found the approach to be intriguing.

Archived