Scifi & Fantasy books getting the "Game of Thrones treatment"

BlackCompanyGuy

Hey guys,

With the Game of Thrones being a smash at HBO and a new Hobbit movie in the works, the time is ripe for some great scifi and fantasy books to enter the world of television and movies as well. What do you guys think? What books do you want to see become movies in the near future?

For my part, I want to see Glen Cook's "The Black Company," Lian Hearn's "Tales of the Otori," Kim Stanley Robinson's "Red Mars," Greg Bear's "Blood Music," and Trudi Canavan's "Magician's Guild." I love them all so much! Oh yeah, and while it was a game before they made any books, of course I'd want a Halo movie

Not fantasy as such, more fictional history, but for me the number one choice would be Bernard Cornwell's Arthur series. Would work fantastically well I think.

In a similar vein I would like to see them take another bash at Shogun. And Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond Chronicles.

Hey guys,

With the Game of Thrones being a smash at HBO and a new Hobbit movie in the works, the time is ripe for some great scifi and fantasy books to enter the world of television and movies as well. What do you guys think? What books do you want to see become movies in the near future?

For my part, I want to see Glen Cook's "The Black Company," Lian Hearn's "Tales of the Otori," Kim Stanley Robinson's "Red Mars," Greg Bear's "Blood Music," and Trudi Canavan's "Magician's Guild." I love them all so much! Oh yeah, and while it was a game before they made any books, of course I'd want a Halo movie

None of these are remotely succesful/marketable enough to have a real shot, except for Magician's Guild, which would obviously end up being a Twilight-esque pockmark on the face of the TV world, given the commercial imperatives.

I could see Red Mars becoming a low-budget straight-to-DVD production, Dune miniseries style.

I would love to see Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon done. It would of course end up as some sort of future noir detective mini series, for the same reasons that Edelman's 225 would never be anything but a pathetic shadow of itself - far too expensive to stage.

Fantasy, despite everything, is still a helluva lot easier to produce (semi-)convincingly on TV budgets, even those with the heft of HBOs shows, than SciFi. At least if more than 3% of the SciFi action takes places outdoors.

I believe it's still possible we might get that KSR Red Mars adaptation. A cable network -- AMC I think -- has bought the rights with the stated intention of making a miniseries, though I'm not sure anything's been heard about it going much farther than that as of this time.

I want the Malazan books adapted in the form of an anime series.

Yeah - There are SO many things I would love to see an anime for. Just makes sense for a lot of series with heavy magic.

Black Company television show? - I would definitely see this!

I love Black Company, but I think they would have change it too much for my liking to make it work, so I would rather they not.

When this exact thread was in enertainment I posted my choice.

Animated Pern. I have wanted it since I was a teen, but dont want a bad cgi or crappy actor ruining it all for me.

An hbo or Showtime series on Anne Bishops The Black Jewels Trilogy would be awesome. Or Hamiltons The Nights Dawn Trilogy or his Pandoras Star/Judas Unchained would be off the chain.

Pretty sure Hustler or Penthouse would have to be involved if they wanted to film The Black Jewels Trilogy.

As someone who's just recently read In the Garden of Iden, Kage Baker's first novel about "The Company", I think that could work very well on screen.

Another book that would work really well as a normal length film is Johanna Sinisalo's Troll, though the fact that most of the main characters are gay would probably put Hollywood off the project. They only made The Martian Child into a film by turning the main character heterosexual when he was gay in the book.

With a bigger special effects budget, I think Clive Barker's Abarat books could be a "young adult" fantasy that translated to the screen as well as Harry Potter does.

Warner Brothers evidently has rights to film Mary Doria Russell's fine "Jesuits in space" novel The Sparrow. As of August 2009 Brad Pitt was still supposed to be very interested in playing the main character (though he would have to be changed from a Puerto Rican Jesuit to an Irish one for that to work.) But like a lot of Hollywood projects that one may never get off the ground since little seems to have happened since August 2009.

Not fantasy as such, more fictional history, but for me the number one choice would be Bernard Cornwell's Arthur series. Would work fantastically well I think.

That would be awesome (if they didnt fuck it up).

Lies of Locke Lamora would be sweet too.

I'd love to see Feist's Magician as a movie, or perhaps two (but not the sequels, necessarily, though they have their moments). Very cinematic story, with enough of the LotR trappings to be able to market it to those crowds and thus potentially get the necessary budget but with the actual plot being very different. Imagine the arena scene on screen? I suspect, what with it being a spiritual midpoint between LotR and aSoIaF, the success of aGoT could make it reasonably likely too.

Mistborn would be good too. I'm not a massive fan of the books, though I do like them, but given the budget they'd make a brilliant movie trilogy. The new Star Wars.

Abraham's Long Price Quartet would make a great TV show, done right, though I suspect they'd ditch the poses conceit.

It'd be impossible to get the budget to do the whole thing properly, but for a while Steven Erikson was planning a Chain of Dogs movie or miniseries, and that would still be fantastic.

For something a little different, Hope Mirlees' Lud-in-the-Mist could be worked into a film.

I also really really want a Transmetropolitan TV series, but unless HBO or AMC take a plunge I can see no way of that happening without getting the soul cut out of it...

Brad Pitt will be playing space-traveling Puerto Rican Priest Emilio Sandoz in the film adaptation of The Sparrow. He has, however, been slated for this role for years, and so a release date is far away.

I would agree that Bernard Cornwell's Arthur Trilogy would make great films or a tv show. And I would just die if Bakker's books ever made it to the big screen, but I know they never will. "The White Luck Warrior" would be so epic. "The Lies of Locke Lamora" would make a great movie, as well.

Archived