Scifi & Fantasy books getting the "Game of Thrones treatment"

BlackCompanyGuy

:ack: :blink: :wacko:

Oh my goodness no.

Are you mad? That would be awesome. You could deliberately do video game-level special effects, and completely load it up with puns. It would be hilarious.

I've been thinking about a Prince of Nothing adaptation, and I believe it could be done. A good director could probably make Kellhus's ruthlessness come out through the story, and combine it with him giving the opening narration of every episode (or something like that). I can just imagine Kellhus starting an episode with "They would answer holy war with jihad."

I'd love to see G.G. Kay's Lions of Al-Rassan or Under Heaven on TV. I think these can be easily passed of as movies rather than a TV show.

Mistborn is another one I'd love to see on screen.

I'd love to see Shadows of the Apt. Perhaps anime would be a better format to depict the insect kinden.

Are you mad? That would be awesome. You could deliberately do video game-level special effects, and completely load it up with puns. It would be hilarious.

I've been thinking about a Prince of Nothing adaptation, and I believe it could be done. A good director could probably make Kellhus's ruthlessness come out through the story, and combine it with him giving the opening narration of every episode (or something like that). I can just imagine Kellhus starting an episode with "They would answer holy war with jihad."

I think both of those would have content problems. The thing with Xanth is that it would also be illegal.

Peter F. Hamilton was the first thing I thought of for science fiction. Personally, I like the Commonwealth Saga (PS/JU) best, but Night's Dawn wouldn't be a bad show to see either.

IMO, Hamilton is the best living SF author out there.

The funny thing is, I absolutely hate anime (the style and appearance of the artwork, from the kids crap like Pokemon to all the more mature stuff, just really annoys and irks me; I hate looking at it! Sorry if that offends y'all!), but I actually can totally imagine the Commonwealth Saga stuff, including the Void Trilogy, being done as anime.

Some of his descriptions appeared in my head as anime cartoons. That was rather annoying and surprising, I'll tell ya!

In the last Void book, there was a woman character described as having grey skin, walking naked except for this really long streaming red scarf flowing behind her. Can't recall her name, or more of the description, but it totally sounded like something I swear I had seen at a friend's house while they were watching some anime show. Wish I could remember where that passage was.

Second SF choice would be Robinson's Mars trilogy (Red/Green/Blue Mars). Apparently, James Cameron and then SyFy Channel were looking into doing it a while ago (back when it was still SciFi Channel). This would make a really awesome 5-8 season show I think, as doing it in 3 or 4 seasons would be compressing too much.

I would also love to see Ronald Moore try to get the Pern stuff going again, maybe with a better network than The WB and such ilk. SyFy maybe, but prefer somebody like Showtime (don't want HBO to do it, since that would take money away from GoT!!).

Speaking of RDM, the project I would prefer to see him doing is actually doing a re-imagining (the Moore Treatment!) of Babylon 5 with Straczynski. I have a whole cast picked out for that one LOL. (hmm.. gotta dig that out to post somewhere...)

Honor Harrington would be cool, but some changes would have to be made that would cause Weber's diehard purist fans to howl and have fits; namely the scale, both spatial and time, that combat happens over. It is not practical to have a space battle on screen that takes minutes (let alone hours) for missles and such to reach the target from time of launch.

And while I am on the SF topic, I really want Showtime to pick up Stargate Universe and carry it forward! They did start Stargate SG1 after all!

As to what Fantasy genre books I'd like to see given the GoT Treatment, I'd start off with Raymond Feist's "Riftwar" stuff, and include the Empire Trilogy as part of it. Of course, I wouldn't really hope to take that past the original saga plus Empire. The rest of the stuff really went downhill, and the SerpentWar Saga and beyond would be ungodly expensive in effects.

There are several really good Fantasy series that I don't actually think would make good television, or are just way too dark and brutal for the screen, or practically impossible. Those would be the Malazan series (I'm paused right now on reading Memories of Ice while I re-read aSoIaF and then aDwD) the R. Scott Bakker stuff, and The Wheel of Time.

Bakker is awesome, but I really don't think his series needs to be filmed. That series makes aSoIaF seem G-Rated to me.

Malazan is just plain too big to do, just like the Wheel of Time (which I really would love to see done, but it couldn't physically be done right I don't think, although Werthead had some good ideas as to how a while back on another forum). I still think of casting picks for that one though (Cliff Simon for Demandred!!).

Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards series would be neat on a regular cable network, like AMC, FX or Bravo or some such.

The Thomas Covenant stuff would be interesting, but I am not sure how well it would work. And I doubt Donaldson's Gap series would work either in SF.

The Dragonlance Chronicles would be cool as hell if done right, but would take a budget to rival just about anything done so far.

David Eddings and Terry Brooks were fun when I was a kid, but I wouldn't wish them unto television.

And if anyone ever put Terry Badmean Goodkind's Sword of Truth on television, I might puke. Oh wait! They did! OMG, I feel sick!!!

An hbo or Showtime series on Anne Bishops The Black Jewels Trilogy would be awesome. Or Hamiltons The Nights Dawn Trilogy or his Pandoras Star/Judas Unchained would be off the chain.

As far as some historical fiction, I think that Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome would make an awesome series, if taken as seriously as "Rome" was.

Not fantasy as such, more fictional history, but for me the number one choice would be Bernard Cornwell's Arthur series. Would work fantastically well I think.

In a similar vein I would like to see them take another bash at Shogun. And Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond Chronicles.

Gemmell's Legend could make a fine mini series. It's plot is simple and battles could be spectacular.

What I hope for is that some of GRRM's other works are put to screen. Armaggeddon Rag would also make a fine mini series. And there's a whole bunch of novellas and novelletes(including Dunk & Egg)that would be great on screen, too.

Archived