Goodkind L (That's 50)

Myshkin

That said, I have read the summaries and I must ask, who is this pansy doppelganger masquerading as Richard in The Omen Machine? Has he mellowed out? He should have been ripping tongues and spines and his thing rising BUT NO.

I might have too strongly emphasised Richard's inaction and hesitation out of anger with the book in general, but he really is pathetic in comparison to vintage Richard. Knees going weak, fearing for Kahlan instead of actually DOING THINGS TO PROTECT AND AVENGE HER, accepting dissent and even rebellion from sworn nobles. No way Ludwig would have survived in previous books - even allowing for the fact that he has some kind of magic that works on Mord Siths.

...fearing for Kahlan instead of actually DOING THINGS TO PROTECT AND AVENGE HER...

Don't tell me Kahlan gets kidnapped again? Or are people trying to kill her again?

No way Ludwig would have survived in previous books - even allowing for the fact that he has some kind of magic that works on Mord Siths.

I wonder what kind of deus ex machina fail he will produce to undo to cancel the übermagic this time, as mordsithmagiccapturing was infallible first. Oh wait, it didn't work on Jagang, and on witches. Or was it sorceresses?

I might have too strongly emphasised Richard's inaction and hesitation out of anger with the book in general, but he really is pathetic in comparison to vintage Richard. Knees going weak, fearing for Kahlan instead of actually DOING THINGS TO PROTECT AND AVENGE HER, accepting dissent and even rebellion from sworn nobles. No way Ludwig would have survived in previous books - even allowing for the fact that he has some kind of magic that works on Mord Siths.

Vintage Richard would have mowed them down with his sword/magic/thing/whatever and threatened to have their woman raped and their lands salted and burned. I mean, really? After building up Richard in the previous books as some sort of uber!Powerful figure he's become a wimp in this?

Kahlan had more balls than he did in this book. :P

Yo goodomens, I can't use the messenger system...so not to be an ungrateful dick but the book has not arrived. Did ya'll have a tracking # or something? You can email me at zachphoenix at gmail.com

Should be there any day. I noticed your copies went out in the slow and sweet pile (standard media), ignoring my priority post-it. The interns will be beaten. Again.

Should be there any day. I noticed your copies went out in the slow and sweet pile (standard media), ignoring my priority post-it. The interns will be beaten. Again.

I am now imagining Terry, dressed in his Writer Outfit, surrounded by nerds dressed in red leather who are at his every beck and call.

I read the first two pages of The Omen Machine and wasn't very impressed. There was not even any prose. I didn't find the little kid one bit interesting. Would rather read through some old Daw gold cover novels.

His books were really interesting at the start, with some really good fantasy ideas and tricks. Then they just seemed to thin out on wonderment by that book where Khalen gets all beat up "Faith of the Fallen" I think. They were always kind of campy, but it was a good campy feeling with some of that Diana Gibaldon (Outlander) appeal.

I can only wish him the best- I think he changed the way I look at some sorts of magical mechanics for the better. He's an author that will sometimes come up with a great idea but then not get a great deal of play out of it. He has some dry spells like Steve Erikson, where you wonder just what is going on and why a character is in the book and doing what they are doing.

I am now imagining Terry, dressed in his Writer Outfit, surrounded by nerds dressed in red leather who are at his every beck and call.

We have finished our surveillance sweep of "the room" and have not been able to find any monitoring devices. We demand to know how you know this. Or we get the hose again.

I wouldn't call Omen Machine a bad book so far (at the half way point) but I am really getting tired of people who are not main characters opening their mouths.

'You must use prophesy to help us!'

'Why are you not using prophesy to help us!?'

'Why didn't use use prophesy to prevent this!?'

'If you cared about your people, you would use prophesy to...'

I am pretty sure some external force is making everyone act like an idiot, but at this point I think the story would have been better served if everyone ranked lower then red shirt would have spontaneously combusted any time they tried to open their mouth, as I want to see them burn.

The bad guy is interesting. I am cheering for him. He hasn't eaten the genitalia of little boys or raped slaves, and he has a pretty good motivation for his hatred. I really hope he dies well. If he dies well, I would rank it as a pretty good read, even if he is the one responsible for casting the plague of idiocy spell.

Wait, is prophesy now a usable device?

As in “Drop your weapon, or I will zap you with Prophesy!” no.

After the fall of The Order however, everyone and their sovereign went grape ape for shyster divination. It is no longer customary to bring flowers on the first date. Now it is a pile of animal guts and an old disheveled blind person who can analyze them. This is really odd, as The Order has only been gone for the period of time required to plan a proper wedding, yet the trend has taken the ruling class of a continent by storm.

As Richard's Daddy pillaged the libraries and butchered the gifted, and The Order did the same, The People's Palace is the only place in the world with a real live prophet, and mountains of books on prophesy. Thus every representative of the empire is hounding R&K for access to prophecy so they can figure out how to rule their homelands, and claiming it is the duty of The Lord Rahl to use prophesy to ensure bad things don't happen.

Then everyone catches prophetic ability, possibly because of the bad guy, possibly because of The Omen Machine, and just maybe a bit of both. The God Emperor and His consort are employing the wait and see defense, presumably until one or both get kidnapped.

In addition the Shota archetype is now replaced by a squeaking clicking zombie child.

My theory is that The Order had spent years putting ADD medication in the water, and now that they are gone...

Archived