Melisandre appreciation thread

Rhieth the Blue

After Lysa, Littlefinger, Cersei, Jamie and the magnificent Sandor I think she is worth a topic too.

What I really can't understand is why all the hate againts her? Well she did indeed cursed Robb, Joff, and Balon, killed Renly and the castellan of Stroms End, burned Alester Florent, wanted to burn Edric Storm and Mance's son. But on the other hand we have to realize that she is among the few who actually care about the White Walkers - who are in the end the enemy of all living men and women, but few realize the danger. There are pretty few Stannis fans who think Mel is holding him back. I have to strongly disagree. It's the Bearded Queen who is holding him back :D. She is essential for that awsome trio of her, Stannis and Davos. She warns, Jon of the "daggers in the dark". And R'hllor save us, she did have 1 POV chapter which is making pretty clear that she isn't what lot of people think her.

<3 Mel

/discuss

She seemed so obviously evil back in ACOK, with the shadow babies and what not. But now I find much more enigmatic.

Her ADWD chapter certainly made it clear that she is utterly sincere about R'hllor and Stannis and the Great Other. Sincerity isn't enough though; she also has to be correct, which I think is still an open question.

She advocates some pretty extreme measures, including giving an innocent child to a bonfire. That's all kinds of messed up, but whether she's justified about it depends on the true nature of the threat and how to face it. If 1) she is right that the Others represent an existential threat to all humanity on Westeros, and if 2) she is right that Stannis is Azor Ahai, and if 3) she is right that burning Edric Storm (or some other suitable stone dragon waking, kingsblood having candidate) is the way to prevent such a calamity, and if 4) her beliefs about the preceding three points are reasonable (in ASOIAF world, not our world), then we can pretty confidently place her among the heroes. That's a lot of ifs.

I like Melisandre a lot, in fact she's probably my favorite character next to Jaime. I also that think her single POV chapter contains more mysteries (and clues) than probably any one section in the series, aside from perhaps Dany's visions in the House of the Undying.

I like Melisandre a lot, in fact she's probably my favorite character next to Jaime. I also that think her single POV chapter contains more mysteries (and clues) than probably any one section in the series, aside from perhaps Dany's visions in the House of the Undying.

agreed.

Her one POV gave a lot of insight into her character and left me yearning for more.

...and Rattleshirt? That was brilliant. I think I love her just because of that :cool4:

• 9 months later...

I like her. Very interesting character. I just cannot wait to find out intentions and more about her life. I admire how to uses stannis as her puppet and am intrigued by her ability to elicit friendliness from ghost.

See, I really don't mind Melisandre. She thinks she's doing the right thing (i.e. preparing to fight the Others) and is well aware of the bigger battle in all of this, which many aren't. And she has some pretty awesome powers. But, I think she misreads stuff and gets fixated, and tries to fit everything into her reading of her visions - which is Stannis as AA, and I'm pretty sure (given Aemon's observation about Lightbringer) she's backing the wrong horse here.

Archived