Sliver of hope that Syrio is alive?

ShadowRaven

When Syrio began his fight with the kg, did he not ask Arya a question? "What do we say to the god of death?".

"Not Today" was Arya's reply.

The Faceless Men worship the God of Death, so does this not imply something? I know that the subject of Syrio being a FM has been brought up many times, but does this not leave even more questions?

Why would you hope he'd come back? Haven't we had more than enough fake deaths in this series?

although I do like your point, did we actually see or read anywhere that Syrio died? from what I remember it was rather implied... could please someone enlighten me????

To make such a show of his skill and how he faces off armored men with a wooden sword, and then not show the drama of him succumbing and saving Arya by putting himself out there and outnumbered in such a brave, selfless moment.

Fishy to me.

Also, I listened to the background sounds in the show during that scene. Martin detail paranoia kicking in full time, and I heard metal dropping. Could totally be me though.

Also, we read about so many deaths in every gory detail in the series, why not his?

Seriously, what is the vital organ "shout out count" for each at this point.

I think I have wracked up intestines spilling out at 45....

I kid, but, I am trying to think of someone else important who died in which we weren't given a vivid desciption.

Why the fuck wouldn't he pick up one of the swords from the Lannister guardsmen? I down with the he got thrown in the black cells and Rorge and Biter saw him change his face. Why would the faceless men send him to Arya? I dunno why did Bloodraven send that pregnant dire wolf through the black gate? Why did the Red R'hllor send Moqorro to Victarian and Melisandre to Stannis and not the other way around? Why does the chick with the Dragons get Quaithe, the worlds most useless spirit guide?

Storytelling BAY-BE

Massive support for this theory - though someone pointed out that the famous 'God of Death' line might not be in the book? Is this true?

I don't think so, I don't have the book on me at the moment so I don't know for sure, but GRRM did write that episode.

I have to give it up to this character though. There have been too many times when Arya is either in trouble or serious danger and she either uses a lesson he taught her or thinks of something he has said and it helps her or saves her.

Just checked my book, and it's not in the scene where Trant tries to take Arya, and I don't see where else it would be.

Crushed. That's a bloody good line. But, like people have said, GRRM wrote that episode, so maybe he slipped it in as a clue for the viewers who haven't read the books.. Here's to hoping!

Massive support for this theory - though someone pointed out that the famous 'God of Death' line might not be in the book? Is this true?
It is not in the book at all. No god of death, no not today.

You have "just so" and "see with your eyes".

Look at the old Syrio threads, if reading the books before discussing them is too much of a burden, there will be zero "not today"

It is not in the book at all. No god of death, no not today.

You have "just so" and "see with your eyes".

Look at the old Syrio threads, if reading the books before discussing them is too much of a burden, there will be zero "not today"

:huh: Of course I've read them. It's just difficult to remember what is in the books and what isn't, considering the size. I apologise for making that mistake, I'm sure I wasn't the only one to do so.

Errant like to get superior with people.

It takes less work to have Syrio survive than it does to make a lot of theories people take as gospel here. All he has to do is dance around long enough to delay the kingsguard, and make a run thru a door or window.

Then - he heads to the offices of the Iron Bank, and safety. Forget him being a FM. Consider him getting to the offices/home of the Iron Bank/Braavosi merchant, and arranging a contract with the FM.

Which is my new fantasy - Having taken service with the Starks, and planning on returning to Winterfell with them (yeah, that's in the book), and then the shit hits the fan..he knows he can't do it alone, or visibly. So - contacts are used.

It takes less work to have Syrio survive than it does to make a lot of theories people take as gospel here. All he has to do is dance around long enough to delay the kingsguard, and make a run thru a door or window.

Then - he heads to the offices of the Iron Bank, and safety. Forget him being a FM. Consider him getting to the offices/home of the Iron Bank/Braavosi merchant, and arranging a contract with the FM.

Which is my new fantasy - Having taken service with the Starks, and planning on returning to Winterfell with them (yeah, that's in the book), and then the shit hits the fan..he knows he can't do it alone, or visibly. So - contacts are used.

There are at least five swords on the ground in that room, how hard is it for him to pick one up? I'm pretty he was a faceless man who was sent to the black cells.

There are at least five swords on the ground in that room, how hard is it for him to pick one up? I'm pretty he was a faceless man who was sent to the black cells.

Well the swords on the ground would be different to the style he uses and what's to stop Trant stabbing him if Forel tries to bend over and pick one up.

Archived