Who's the most "famous" hero alive in Westeros?

sinphonus

As regards baddies, the Hound has an now undeserved reputation as being as bad as his brother the Mountain. Jamie Lannisters bad reputation is also mostly undeserved due to him never disclosing his reasons for killing Aerys.

Goodies , Lord Beric, barristan the bold, Rhaegar and Arthur Dayne.

By any reasonable criteria Ser Barristan is at least near the top.

Since the OP specifically asks for renown and fame, Jaime would rank surprisingly low. He is well-known but (as we saw in the White Book chapter of ASOS) did not really accomplish all that much. Being Kingsguard does limit one's options, I suppose.

I get the feeling that Mance Rayder isn't really at all known south of the Wall; he seems to have a hard time being recognized.

Stannis, poor excuse of a leader as he is, must enjoy some reputation as a firm leader and accomplished military commander, having resisted in Storm's End to a legendary degree and defeated the Greyjoy rebellion. Even Blackwater must have earned him a lot of mentions in songs.

Tyrion is simply too noticeable NOT to be famous in all of Westeros. Not for quite the correct reasons, but still.

The Blackfish is obviously quite famous in the Riverlands at this time, and likely in the Vale as well.

The Greatjon is such a colorful character that he must be well-known in the North. And, uh, Roose Bolton surely earned wide acknowledgement as a cunning House Lord at the very least. People will find it very hard to like or admire him, but they will surely spread word of his existence and accomplishments, self-destructive and treacherous as they are. Ramsay may be more well-known than his father at this point, having scourged the North so much.

Ser Loras Tyrell is certainly making the short list now. He was well-known and well-liked from the tourneys already, and that was before becoming Kingsguard, the Queen's brother and a Dragonstone war hero (as far as the songs will say).

I agree that Barristan the Bold is at the top of the list, followed by Brynden the Blackfish and possibly Stannis Baratheon. I'd also like to mention Thoros of Myr, he's been hanging out with the legendary Lightning Lord and was one of the first to breach the walls of Pyke during the Greyjoy rebellion. His flaming sword has probably impressed quite a few people in tournaments as well. Of the dead guys, The Red Viper probably had quite the fame and reputation in Westeros, even if it wasn't entirely positive.

Achievement, courage, and nobility.

Selmy, obviously.

Ned, to a fault, some would say. Dead.

Robert, nobility of birth more than character, of course. Also, dead, so...

Dondarrion, dead a few times...

Robb? (like Robert, dead, so maybe he doesn't count)

ETA

Where have all papa's heroes gone?

Does Bloodraven count?? Hes like 130 years old but he was a Hero and the most famous person alive on his time.

Hero is very subjective in Bloodraven's case, but since he's been "dead" for fifty years I can't see too many smallfolk thinking about him, besides the occasional "if you don't go to bed bloodraven will get you" or something like that to their children.

• 3 months later...

Archived