[Spoilers]Which lines must be included in the show?

trapyoung

Note: While it seems that some lines from the book could be read out of context and not spoil anything for anyone who isn't a book reader, I think it's safer to warn that there will be potential spoilers in this thread.

So... which lines from the book would you be disappointed if D&D did not include them in the show? For example, in book 2 there's an exchange between Yoren and a Gold Cloak that didn't make it into the show:

“I’ll have the boy.” ...

“You’ll have no one,” Yoren said stubbornly. “There’s laws on such things.”

The gold cloak drew a shortsword. “Here’s your law.”

Yoren looked at the blade. “That’s no law, just a sword. Happens I got one too."

Instead, in the show Yoren pulls a knife on the Gold Cloak and mentions shaving a spider's arse. I still enjoyed the scene, but I was slightly disappointed that Yoren's zinger was gone.

So what lines of dialogue would you absolutely miss were it not to make the show? For me, I would be disappointed if the following lines from Jaime in A Storm of Swords missed the cut:

“Her name is Brienne,” Jaime said. “Brienne, the maid of Tarth. You
are
still maiden, I hope?”

Her broad homely face turned red. “Yes.”

”Oh, good,” Jaime said. “I only rescue maidens.”

Roose Bolton: Of course, there is Lord Karstark's offer to consider as well. He promises the hand of his daughter to the man who brings him your head.

Jaime Lannister: Leave it to your goat to get it backward.

"Kingthlayer!!!"

Oh, I'll add some more from aDwD, because that's the only Kindle book were I've added marks so far.

Stannis, with a serious and grim face: "Suffer one deserter to live, and you encourage others to desert. No. Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

Also, this:

The plump woman on the stool rolled her eyes. "An admiral without ships, a hand without fingers, in service to a king without a throne. Is this a knight who comes before us, or the answer to a child's riddle?"

"He is a messenger, good-daughter," Lord Wyman said, "an onion of ill omen."

"And afterwards there is a special cake."

"What sort of weather would you prefer?"

"The sort they keep indoors," said Dolorous Edd.

Not a line, but: Some men had faces that cried out for a beard. Ser Clayton's face cried out for an axe between the eyes.

“I looked for you on the Trident,” Ned said to them.

“We were not there,” Ser Gerold answered.

“Woe to the Usurper if we had been,” said Ser Oswell.

“When King's Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your king with a golden sword, and I wondered where you were.”

“Far away,” Ser Gerold said, “or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells.”

“I came down on Storm's End to lift the siege,” Ned told them, and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them.”

“Our knees do not bend easily,” said Ser Arthur Dayne.

“Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him.”

“Ser Willem is a good man and true,” said Ser Oswell.

“But not of the Kingsguard,” Ser Gerold pointed out. “The Kingsguard does not flee.”

“Then or now,” said Ser Arthur. He donned his helm.

“We swore a vow,” explained old Ser Gerold.

Ned’s wraiths moved up beside him, with shadow swords in hand. They were seven against three.

“And now it begins,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

“No,” Ned said with sadness in his voice. “Now it ends.”

The Tower of Joy scene is the best thing that will happen in the history of HBO. And because Arthur Dayne is so awesome.

I don't think they'll show the TOJ scene because it would be Ned's perspective, Ned's dead, and Sean Bean is no longer on the show.

The one I want to see is Wyman Manderly "The North remembers." His whole exchange with Davos was the biggest "fuck yeah" scene since Robb was acclaimed "The King in the North!"

"Jaime," Brienne whispered, so faintly he thought he was dreaming it. "Jaime, what are you doing?"

"Dying," he whispered back.

"No," she said. "No, you must live."

If this dialogue does not appear in the show, I will probably end up on the evening news, I will be so distraught. This is my favorite exchange in the whole series.

"Kingthlayer!!!"

"THAPPHIRETH!!!"

"What will you do, imp?"

"Kill Ser Gregor myself, won't that make for a jolly song"

"I hope I hear them sing it"

It'll be even sadder on the show. Especially now they've developed their friendship more.

"You talk about Aerys, Grandfather, but you were scared of him."

Only Joffrey scene where I kinda liked him.

“So young. Though mayhaps this was a blessing. Had he lived he would've grown up to be a Frey.”

Hilarious quote for such a tense scene.

The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer’s farce is almost done. My son is home.”

Again awesome / insane Manderlay.

All the Blackfish / Jaime dialogue.

Everything Euron Greyjoy says.

And of course: "Jaime Lannister sends his regards."

Khrazz: Only cowards dress in iron.

Selmy: This coward is about to kill you, ser.

Jaime
: I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act

"The guards were shouting outside the door, pounding with the butts of their heavy spears. Lord Petyr pulled Sansa to her feet. "Your're not hurt?" When she shook her head, he said, "Run let my guards in, then. Quick now, there's no time to lose. This singer's killed my lady wife."

To me, that's the perfect ending to an episode, and maybe Littlefinger's best line in the series.

Tyrion: “Cersei’s a lying whore, and she’s been fucking Lancel and Osmund Kettleback and Moonboy for all I know.”

This MUST be in.

Also:

"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood."

And speaking of the Martells, Oberyn vs. the Mountain, word for word.

"Those are brave men. Let's go kill them." was on my list.

also on it:

"You raped her. You murdered her. You killed her children. Now say her name."

(guess this is covered by previous post)

Archived