*spoilers* season 3 endings *spoilers*

DornishHighlander

I don't think so, what I get from non-bookreaders, he is their favorite character, and the second emmy nomination shows that Dinklage is most likely the most importend actor in the show, they can't just diminish his role. The show isn't about the books it's about money and qoutes, it's a shame, but we can't change it

I agree, to an extent. He is well loved, and is the current star.

But I don't think it has so much to do with his exceptional brilliance (he is great though), but more to do with the need for a strong male lead. In season 1, there was Ned, Robert, and Khal Drogo, so Tyrion was not the star. They all died however, leaving only Tyrion. And ACoK was Tyrion's book, so naturally Tyrion became the star.

I'm not sure how much this changes going forward. Jaime's redemption might make him more appealing. Jon has massive potential as a fan favorite but I'm not so sure about Kit Harrington's ability to pull it off. Mance Rayder should be good.

I don't think it'll be like season 1, but Tyrion won't need to be the star as much as in season 2.

I have never seen where anyone has said that All of Season 3 and all of season 4 will be SoS. This is a big book, but there is not at all enough material for 20 full episodes.

The only quotes I've seen have said the will split up Storm of Swords over two seasons. All that means is there will be some of Storm of Swords in season 4.

I do not think fans will react well to the RW being the finale of the show. Its not just a downer. It sucks. Especially if they try to pull a Did Arya get killed or not cliffhanger. Bad idea.

Red Wedding on Episode 8 and Joffrey's wedding on Episode 10 is perfect.

I think the PW (where did this term come from anyway) will and should be the finale to season 3.

First of all. I see where people say that the Red Wedding will be a shock at the end. No. If its at the end, it won't shock anyone. They need to downplay this thing. The Red Wedding should be in episode 7 or 8. Remember, going in, its not a big deal. Big whoop. Edmure has to marry some woman at the bridge. Leading up to it, the discussion is all about what they are going to do after the wedding. Fight their way back up North. Take back the north from the Greyjoys. They need to play that up. So that the viewer thinks that there are 2 or 3 post wedding episodes and that Robb is about to get into some big awesome stuff.

Thats how you shock them. Thats how it shocked me. I didn't expect anything bad to happen at the wedding. I was worried about how it would go down because I know Frey is a jerk, but I didn't see that coming. If it had been at the end of the book or at the end of a season of television I would definitely expect it.

Now. If you put the PW at the end of the season. I think that sets up more perfectly for a season ender. I don't think anyone expects Joffrey to die yet. That really came out of nowhere. The focus will be on Sansa. Can Sansa escape? Will Joffrey find some way to mess it up for her. Scenes with Joffrey saying he'll still sleep with Sansa should help with that.

I could see the final scene of season 3 being Joffrey laying dead and Tyrion being arrested and Cersei saying Where's Sansa? Cut to black.

I completely agree that the PW will be the season ending event but I think the final scene will be Stoneheart opening her eyes. I do think contractual reasons will play into this as well and I think given that who they still need to bring in, they'll be happy to get rid of three main characters with the end of the season. By putting Cat's awakening in the third season it means they are going to be able to do the whole 4th without her and it opens up the money for someone else. Sort of like what happened with Barristan this past season.

ETA: THE PURPLE WEDDING DOES NOT COME AT THE END OF THE BOOK. It comes 7 chapters after the Red Wedding which happens a little under 2/3 of the way through the book.

I'm hoping for RW 8, PW 10. Joffrey's humiliating death will make things easier for the poor viewers. Ending the season with the RW would be too dark, end it with the RW and Arya "dying" (the book didn't portray it as a cliffhanger really) and they might lose half the viewership.

Tyrion's arc in season 4 starts with him rotting in the dungeon, finishes with his escape and kinslaying.

It's true though that they haven't yet cast Oberyn... well, we'll see.

Oberyn is not necessary for the wedding only the trial. So they'll have him come and see Tyrion in a cell so they can do the bonding that they do in the book when Tyrion goes out to meet him. Yes he was there for the wedding in the book but the Reeds were also at Winterfell when it was sacked in the book...in the show they haven't even met Bran but will meet him on the road next season. It was done to keep the actual characters at a managable number. So I see something similar happening here with him, that he's brought on later and that they find another way for him and Tyrion to bond.

Another reason to put the PW in ep10 is that they will not have to hire and pay Jack Gleeson for another season, even if it is just for one episode... and it would be an epic finale... I guess they will have another reason for the venue of Oberyn Martell and the Dornish after the wedding (maybe Oberyn's way to show that he hates the Lannisters by showing up too late).

Oberyn is not necessary for the wedding only the trial. So they'll have him come and see Tyrion in a cell so they can do the bonding that they do in the book when Tyrion goes out to meet him. Yes he was there for the wedding in the book but the Reeds were also at Winterfell when it was sacked in the book...in the show they haven't even met Bran but will meet him on the road next season. It was done to keep the actual characters at a managable number. So I see something similar happening here with him, that he's brought on later and that they find another way for him and Tyrion to bond.

You're right. Betting on PW10 then.

I like the idea of thinking that all the Starks are screwed to be the finale of season 3. RW, thinking Arya is dead, Sansa being married to Tyrion, the endings for Bran and Rickon could be tricky. I could see Jon's ending tying into Bran's ending, with his fate left undecided being surrounded by wildlings at the inn, looking like he is about to be killed.

I think George said at comic con that he wrote episode 7 for this season so if I was a betting man I would say that will be the rw episode.Also, if anyone important is reading this, you need to cast the red viper already!!

We've disputed this to pieces all ready. Martin even nearly confirmed it Episode 7 will not be RW.

I mentioned before about Season 4 being a good time to experiment with the pacing of the series. Logically, Tyrion's escape would happen at the end of the season, but it's problematic for so many episodes in between where seemingly nothing is going on. That's where experimenting comes in. Shift focus away from Tyrion for a while. Yes, Peter Dinklage still likely needs a contract guaranteeing him in every episode, but pains should be taken to utilize him as little as possible. Get people interested in the real scope of the world and have them worry about Tyrion as if he really is going to kick it.

What I'm looking forward to most in Season 4 is actually my most hated event in the books: The Kingsmoot. That in itself will take a lot of time to establish, but I think people have warmed up to the character of.... Yara enough that they understand why her own struggle matters. I expect a large episode to be focused on the Kingsmoot, for there is a real potential for tension if done correctly (which Martin did not). I think of it as a "Council of Elrond" moment, in that its existence was to pour exposition but also has a grand plot twist. I expect the Iron Islands to be focused on as a culture!

Got a bit off track there... All I'm really trying to say is that there is actually a lot of wiggle room here. That's why it takes so long for us to determine what this Season will and will not contain. I simply want us as a TV audience to stop being so one sided in a world filled with so many characters. Every character deserves attention, at the very least, so giving a real focus will help us expand the horizons of the audience's scope.

I'm still not sure. There will be new Theon scenes, the Reeds will be introduced as well as Edmure and Brynden. If they shift a few things (Jon can stay with the free folk for the whole season, Jaime and Brienne can wander a little longer) there might be material enough to end Season 3 when Joffrey thinks he's won (Stannis gone, Robb and Balon dead), begin season 4 with the Kingsmoot, kill Joff on episode 7-8 and Oberyn on episode 8-9.

Most signs are pointing to the Red Wedding occurring on the 8th episode of season three. We know the name of the episode prior to episode eight ("Autumn Storms"),

BTW, where can I find a list of the episode titles already revealed?

BTW, where can I find a list of the episode titles already revealed?

As of right now, that's the only episode that has a title. G.R.R.M. mentioned it on his blog a while back. We probably won't see any more episode titles until the new year, at least.

Bullshit, what about Ned Stark's beheading, that was the best cliffhanger yet and wasn't at the end of a season.

I really dont think that was much of a cliffhanger... A cliffhanger kinda implies the buildup to something then STOP you gotta wonder the end result. The only thing really in question that could be considered a cliffhanger with that is where exactly did the head fall. I dont think there was any question about Neds survival after the decapitation. That scene was a culmination and an end to an arc, not a cliffhanger.

I agree that the last scene of S3 should be Stoneheart opening her eyes. For a lot of reasons: so as not to get rid of one too many Starks in one season and assure the audience that there will in fact be justice (or erm, bloody revenge) for the carnage - and to show that they have not, in fact, got rid of Fairley, who is fantastic. Also, they do love closing the season with something supernatural that makes viewers' jaws drop, and finally because it also spells DOOM for the unexpected Jaime and Brienne bond, and they have one of the few plotlines in S3 that ends in a somewhat positive, light-hearted note (the Bear Pit rescue).

As for the Purple Wedding, I don't know. I can see if for episode 10, but the whole point is that it's the driving force behind the S4 plot for King's Landing: Sansa's escape, Tyrion's imprisonment, Jaime's return, the tension amongst the Lannisters, a sort of murder-mystery intrigue (who actually poisoned Joff?) with the Tyrells plotting, the introduction of the Martells, all ending rather spectacularly in LET'S GIVE EVERYONE AN EMMY fashion with Tyrion's escape and kinslaying, Jaime's guilt and Cersei's growing paranoia.

Episode 9 is the RW. Episode 10 ends with Catelyn being resurrected. After Dragons and White Walkers, the standards for the cliffhangers are pretty high. I feel Beric giving his life to Catelyn would be enough.

The Red Wedding shouldn't make the show lose viewers if the Purple Wedding isn't right after. It can wait until season 4. Maybe the first or second episode in season 4.

There is no way they will be able to include PW in this season. There is enough material in kings landing before PW and they can not keep tyrion siting in a cell for whole season 4. They can finish kings landing storyline with red viper coming to the capital (after some great build up). Wall storyline can end with Mance coming at the gate for the second attack. Dany with astapor. Jaime freeing briane and starting their journey towards KL. Arya still alive and with the hound and i want the last scene to be stonehart with BwB. Not sure how bran's story will end but may be with a decision that they won't go to jon at castle black but they will go beyond the wall to the 3EC. I think this will set up season 4 nicely.

IMO that's more of a 9th episode thing like Ned's execution or Stanis's defeat at Blackwater. Last scene of episode is Joffrey choking to death.

I agree with this. I also think that Jaime's last scene will be when he is told that he can leave Harrenhal but Brienne will not be freed.

Archived