help with some English please

DirePenguin

context Dire Penguin, context :)

Jaime says: "A singer once said that all maids are fair in silk...but he never met you, did he?". It's the singer who says that, not Renly. Brienne flushes because the idea is that if that singer had seen Brienne in silks he would have said 'all maids save Brienne of Tarth are fair in silks'. Jaime is saying that she is ugly, so she blushes because she is embarrassed.

Ignore Lummel, Dire Penguin, it's 1.38 pm and I am melting in my house because the air conditioning doesn't work, and the repair man who just left didn't have the parts to repair it and has to come back tomorrow.

There is lots of time to ask questions! :lol:

ETA: As usual, I have no likes left.

It can be pronounced "gal-lant" or "ga- lont". The latter pronunciation, in my experience, is used when referring to a well mannered charming man.

Perhaps Lummel can add some wisdom here.

But is the stress on the first syllable or the last? I always thought it was GAH-llant, and then I heard in a ASOIAF podcast today someone say gah-LONT, it sounded almost French. [eta: yeah this is about gallant knights btw so it's that definition that you provided... is there another?]

Archived