Arya in Braavos, So Spake Martin

The Lord's Kiss

3) I doubt this one very much because of how busy he's been, but GRRM has written every single one of the Arya chapters he has left to write, including the ones in A Dream for Spring. In this novel she will finally graduate and be sent on her first real mission as an assassin. She continues to train as a Faceless Woman, and going with The Ice and Fire Assessment Theory, which was very good by the way, and I think she will eventually be sent to kill Dany in the last book, since the Braavos have a long-standing hatred of Valyrians and this is the best way to tie the Faceless Men into that theory.

I dunno, random speculation much, but it just got me thinking. Anybody have any ideas?

The Braavosi r a nation of escaped slaves and Dany is freeing slaves left and right. Im not sure u could pay a Braavosi to kill her. Not sure they r happy about the dragons however.

I dont see Arya being sent back to Westeros or anywhere. She has set her own course more or less thru most of this and I believe she will go home for her own reasons. She seems to mirror Lyanna in this regard tho hopefully with a better ending.

The Braavosi r a nation of escaped slaves and Dany is freeing slaves left and right. Im not sure u could pay a Braavosi to kill her. Not sure they r happy about the dragons however.

I dont see Arya being sent back to Westeros or anywhere. She has set her own course more or less thru most of this and I believe she will go home for her own reasons. She seems to mirror Lyanna in this regard tho hopefully with a better ending.

I think it makes more sense to kill the dragons since they would just get another rider although Dany could be a symbol for the dragons.

GRRM said that there isn't yet an assignment for the FM to kill dragons but Jaqen seems to be making moves to prepare already.

There are theories that Jaqen is a rogue but I don't really believe that.

I think if Dany dies it won't be from a FM assignment.

As for the other two interpretations I think that it would be such a waste of character, though well...I've never read it but I've found this description of one of GMRR's earlier books

The most notable of the stories, "A Song For Lya" arguably still ranks as Martin's finest work. "Lya" is a beautifully sad meditation on love and loss, telling a moving tale of a young, vital woman who is willingly absorbed into The Greeshka, a strange collective "religion" that ultimately sucks the individuality out of those who choose to join it. It deservedly won the Hugo Award as best novella of 1973.

I've actually read that one (there was a thread about it way back when in another subforum on the boards which I can't seem to find anymore), so there are spoilers for the text of the story discussed under the spoiler cut in this post:

The "Lya" of the title is the young woman absorbed into the Greeshka and the lover of the male narrator. Basically, the Greeshka is this big parasite that consumes people, either slowly or quickly; this is called Joining. The people's consciousness continues within the Greeshka, though, so that it's a perfect experience of union: perfect joy, perfect love, perfect belonging, above any human experience of romantic love, joy or connection. Lya is a telepath who feels the Joined people's ecstasy at being part of the Greeshka so strongly that she chooses to leave the narrator and be Joined herself as well. There's a Littlefinger-like character who scorns the "religion" as the Greeshka preying on people by giving them a dose of love/joy feelings to lure them in to be absorbed. Lya looks a little like Arya, in that she's small, beautiful--as Arya likely will be, if she lives long enough--and dark-haired, but their personalities aren't really alike at all. There's another female character who's an "auburn-haired vision" and the lover of the Littlefinger-like character, although they break up because the Littlefinger-like character keeps part of himself back and isn't really capable of a true human connection.

It's lovely and sad and makes you think about connection and the religious experience. Very good. The Greeshka are not like the Faceless Men at all, really. The only connection that I can see has to do with the loss of individuality, but even then the "souls" are all intact within the Greeshka, they've just lost their bodies. The Greeshka doesn't require that individuals make themselves "no one" as the FM do.

Vote for Arya! She's in a match against Sansa.

There can be only one.

So, if we can expect Arya to be found frozen in the snow with Needle in her hand, can we also expect Sansa to marry a burly blacksmith or fat-faced innkeeper and fill his house with children? I'd put money on the latter before I'd bet on the former.

At the rate Sansa's going, we may very well, although the phrasing of Jaime's "prophecy" was more of a cute unintentional reference to Gendry and Hot Pie than something to be taken seriously.

A lot of the really big foreshadowing happens in AGOT and even in the first half of AGOT, right early on when GRRM was laying everything on with a trowel since he was trying to tell the story in three books. And Jon's words are really, weirdly specific. It's teasing, but it's phrased in such an ominous way. And almost immediately after that Jon "predicts" that she'll be found dead, a "needle" between her frozen fingers, she acquires a sword, names it Needle, and starts training to use it. It seems almost hamfisted, really.

If Arya does die, I would expect it to be no earlier than the last half of ADOS, maybe even the last quarter. If so, it's hardly a waste of a character.

My gut feeling is that the captives are still at the Twins and Walder will not release them unless pressure is applied and he gets something out of it.

:agree: Old Walder doesn't want to give an inch or a penny, ever.

I certainly hope Martyn isn't made to marry Gatehouse Ami to keep old Walder happy. Who, in any event, would make the match? Kevan, his father and sort-of acting head of the Lannister family, is dead. Jaime, who has a lot of authority, is missing (and not a fan of the Freys). Cersei is technically the Lady of Casterly Rock, but she's got an awful lot on her plate and I'm sure doesn't have 5 minutes to spare arranging marriages. Genna Lannister Frey is the only remaining Lannister of Tywin's generation, but does she have the power to do any arranging outside her immediate family?

Your vote wasn't counted because we were recounting.

Now you can vote

You have to hurt Sansa (-1 point) and heal Arya (+1 point).

Correction. I counted it. Now he just needs to wait 9 more posts before he can vote again.

EDIT:

VOTE for ARYA! Here's the link:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/73371-asoif-elimination-game-22-greatest-female-character-final/page__st__1560

Bran saw Arya holding secrets in her heart:

"...he saw Arya watching in silence and holding her secrets hard in her heart."

As Cat of the Canals she made up her past.

As stated earlier Arya does parallel former assassin Natasha (Black Widow) in The Avengers. She's able to lie. She could even get the jump on Loki. Although she does seem close to Hawkeye.

She thinks about what Cat and Robb would think if they knew and feels shame. She thought that they would not want her.

Being able to confide in and trust someone is very important in the ability to be close to someone imo.

My point here is if she sees her siblings again or even former friends like Hot Pie and Gendry will she be able to confide in them? When they ask where has she been and what has she been doing and how she feels will she hold it in and lie?

Or maybe she will be like Varys and simply omit certain truths or twist them.

:agree: Old Walder doesn't want to give an inch or a penny, ever.

I certainly hope Martyn isn't made to marry Gatehouse Ami to keep old Walder happy. Who, in any event, would make the match? Kevan, his father and sort-of acting head of the Lannister family, is dead. Jaime, who has a lot of authority, is missing (and not a fan of the Freys). Cersei is technically the Lady of Casterly Rock, but she's got an awful lot on her plate and I'm sure doesn't have 5 minutes to spare arranging marriages. Genna Lannister Frey is the only remaining Lannister of Tywin's generation, but does she have the power to do any arranging outside her immediate family?

Yeah I guess it would fall on Genna I suppose. She does not like Gatehouse Ami. All the drama with Tywins kids makes Martyn the possible heir to the Rock as well. At the same time she can not afford to offend the Freys if she wants to hold on to Riverrun but its not clear that this is what she wants. The Freys are also trying to find a way to snag that out from under her with Rosilins kid. Oh well, were way off topic here so I'll leave it at that.

This theory is nagging: that some big steamer is going to hit Braavos like London in the Blitz and Arya will go back to Westeros. She'll be trained as a FM but won't stay with them, won't owe them anything, and even mayhaps the HoBW will fall. And yes, this was part of a dream.

Of course, she could also go to Dany in Slaver's Bay. I don't know if we are going to see Starks+Targs in an epic alliance to seize Westeros, but that would be one way of having that happen. ....

i know that part is from movie but whene she talks about dark sister(i kno is a sword) and dragons makes u think its her dream

i imagine her falling in love with dany and her dragons even if she's sent to kill em .

.... Of course, i believe that we will see Starks vs Targs, but that's just me.

everything from Danys chapters makes you think that but not any Strak chapters - starks don't fight for crown and they don't care who sitts on throne as long as they not Lannisters . if R+L = J ? Dorne joins Aegon the fake ... Starks and Lanisters (Tyrion) maybe Danys best allys

This theory is nagging: that some big steamer is going to hit Braavos like London in the Blitz and Arya will go back to Westeros. She'll be trained as a FM but won't stay with them, won't owe them anything, and even mayhaps the HoBW will fall. And yes, this was part of a dream.

You had a dream that a steamboat crashed into Braavos and blitzkrieg'd it? I hope that doesn't happen.. cool dream though. But maybe the dragons will come to her. They could be the steamers you're talking about.

Vote for Arya! She's in a match against Sansa.

http://asoiaf.wester.../page__st__1360

I arrived late to this but well done Arya fans! :D

Honestly, I was shocked Sansa even made it to the final round. I knew she had a select number of dedicated fans, but not nearly enough to secure her a spot in the top two. To each his own, I guess.

You had a dream that a steamboat crashed into Braavos and blitzkrieg'd it? I hope that doesn't happen.. cool dream though. But maybe the dragons will come to her. They could be the steamers you're talking about.

Sorry. A colloquialism- "steamer" means a pile of turd. :) In the dream I didn't see what it was, just that something fell on the city from the sky, there were explosions and buldings were toppling. Could well be dragons.

Archived