So.. Okay, Margaery Tyrell is a lesbian?

JaegrM

I mean, if she is, that's cool.

But I don't think I'm that oblivious.

I've been bored, jumping around different aSoIaF message boards, tumblrs, etc.

and well...

Why do so many people think Margaery is gay?

I've seen people saying they'll stop watching the show if she's not portrayed as a lesbian because it's not true to the book!?

Basically did I miss something or is this just a certain key demographic of fans?

No offense meant to anyone.

I'm pretty obtuse when it comes to slight clues, but I don't see anything that points in this direction. The only thing that would even possibly hint at this is that she had a number of her young friends, cousins, etc for sleepovers in one big bed. But nobody there seemed to take notice so it's got to be normal in that society.

I don't think she's a lesbian. As Littlefinger stated: "Margaery will keep her crown and her maidenhead, neither of which she especially wants." I don't think she's a lesbian, just hates to wait to consummate her marriage. She is married three times and still a maiden, if i were her I would be a bit ticked off too, but then I'm a guy, so.

I don't think she's a lesbian. As Littlefinger stated: "Margaery will keep her crown and her maidenhead, neither of which she especially wants." I don't think she's a lesbian, just hates to wait to consummate her marriage. She is married three times and still a maiden, if i were her I would be a bit ticked off too, but then I'm a guy, so.

Well she may not be a virgin. Her family insists this but i think she has done the deed.

Her brother has had many clues: Rainbow knights, " Renly showed me his "illuminations" one night, feminine like, characters remarking and joking of both of them.

Maraery doesn't seem to have many clues but she does keep her girl friends close and has at least one stay with her at night, but I see it more as a keeping secrets(important and not so important secrets)and just girls having a slumber party kind of thing.

But I'd say shes bisexual.

Maybe because she's been wedded and wedded and wedded but never bedded? I don't see where that makes her a lesbian, but that's all I can think of offhand...?

But from her husbands which one is/ was more likey to bed her Renly no, joffrey he would be scared to , and tommen probably does not even know what sex is, its not her fault really, is he married any other characters then the 3 gentlemen her cherry would have been popped a long time ago.

I think there is something that Cersei thinks when she is watching Marg and Loras together. She thinks how attractive the two of them are and how similar looking they are (even more similar looking than twins Cersei and Jaime) and then she wonders if what else they have in common, which possibly means - is Marg a homosexual too. I don't think Cersei actually believes this, she is just thinking spiteful thoughts.

As for Marg sharing a bed with her cousins, there is nothing unusual in that. It is perfectly normal for a queen to be attended 24/7 even when she is in the bath, on the toilet or asleep. Imagine if she woke up during the night thirsty, she needs someone available on hand to fetch her a drink.

If I remember the books correctly, her whole Moon Tea debacle implies her maidenhood is in question. Taena seems to tell Cersei Renly may have done the deed (while this isn't confirmable, of course).

I think the whole Margaery being lesbian rumour has to do with Cersei's paranoia about her and her cousins...

I think there is something that Cersei thinks when she is watching Marg and Loras together. She thinks how attractive the two of them are and how similar looking they are (even more similar looking than twins Cersei and Jaime) and then she wonders if what else they have in common, which possibly means - is Marg a homosexual too. I don't think Cersei actually believes this, she is just thinking spiteful thoughts.

When I read those lines, I interpreted it as Cersei pondering what else they had in common (with Jaime and herself)...

When I read those lines, I interpreted it as Cersei pondering what else they had in common (with Jaime and herself)...

I do think that that is what she was referring to as well, but I have heard it speculated that she is talking about homosexuality - I think that is partly where the 'Marg is gay' comes from.

As for Marg sharing a bed with her cousins, there is nothing unusual in that. It is perfectly normal for a queen to be attended 24/7 even when she is in the bath, on the toilet or asleep. Imagine if she woke up during the night thirsty, she needs someone available on hand to fetch her a drink.

I thought Cersei was trying to parallel her and jaimes relationship with that of Margaery and Loras.

ninja'd

Almost surely no.

Cersei's speculations that Margary was fooling around with her ladies in waiting are (IMO) supposed to have as little truth as her similar speculations that Margary and Loras are sleeping together.

Cersei's attitude towards Margary is supposed to be one of immense hypocrisy. The point that GRRM is trying to make here is that Cersei's rebellion and infidelity are horrible for other women. And that Cersei in particular is an enormous misogynist, eager to hypocritically punish other (ironically, innocent) women for what she herself did.

Also, throughout AFFC, it is implied that, in trying to find sexual misdeeds to attribute to the innocent Margary, Cersei begins "projecting" her own sins upon the innocent younger woman. For instance, Cersei screws around with Taena Merryweather, her own lady in waiting, then suspects Margary (on next to no evidence) of similar same sex romps. Cersei engaged in a sexual relationship with her brother, so she suspects that Margary is sleeping with her own brother as well, Loras. Cersei sleeps with some different men, and assumes Margary would do the same. Cersei has, most infamously of all, been unfaithful to her rightful husband, and suspects Margary of the same thing.

The obvious subtext is that Margary is "good", and innocent of all these "immoral" deeds-- which Cersei is clearly guilty of. In accusing Margary of her own sins, Cersei is clearly supposed to look hypocritical, misogynistic, hateful, and blatantly bad for other women.

She is, of course, since she is persecuting other women. But I'm not sure why this connects in any way with Cersei's own infidelity--Cersei was unfaithful, so she automatically loathes other women and wants to see them punished for the same deeds she is guilty of committing? GRRM makes it look as though the evil sexual infidelity and Cersei's persecution of Margary go hand in hand, but really, I don't see why they have to be simultaneous.

In short, thought, Margary Tyrell is almost surely straight. And is surely faithful to Tommen, normal in her sibling relationships, and "good" in all the ways that Cersei is not.

Well she may not be a virgin. Her family insists this but i think she has done the deed.

Yes. While she has surely always been faithful to Tommen, (I can't picture GRRM ever drawing a favorable picture of a queen regent being unfaithful to her husband), I suspect her marriage to Renly may well have been consummated. If it was, I suspect her family advised her to lie about the matter, or she saw the wisdom of doing so herself.

At any rate, if she did sleep with Renly, I doubt it was many times. And honestly, the issue hardly matters.

Yes. While she has surely always been faithful to Tommen, (I can't picture GRRM ever drawing a favorable picture of a queen regent being unfaithful to her husband), I suspect her marriage to Renly may well have been consummated. If it was, I suspect her family advised her to lie about the matter, or she saw the wisdom of doing so herself.

At any rate, if she did sleep with Renly, I doubt it was many times. And honestly, the issue hardly matters.

Yet Cersei notes that her faced was flushed and her hair tousled like she had just come from being in bed with her lover when she is consulting with Margey in the middle of the night after they have all been informed of the news from the Reach about the Ironborn invasion. Perhaps she had just come from bed with her lover. Marge manages her image carefully and this is one of her few unscripted moments, Cersei is not unintellient, I do not think she was projecting her wishes in this instance. She would not go to all this trouble if she was not hiding something.

Archived