Purple wedding in Season 3 or Season 4?

Drowningfish2304

I got hopes that is going to be in season 3. GRRM said at the Emmys: Game of Thrones writer George R. R. Martin says to "look forward to weddings on Season 3!"

So, is going to be more that one weeding. And, this stament makes me believe that the theme of this season is going to be Weedings.

I think the statement means that there is going to be more than one wedding this season, anything else is reading into comments to hear what you want to hear. Seeing as it's been confirmed that Tyrion-Sansa will have their wedding in Ep 8 and that RW would occur after that, you've got your "more than 1 wedding" requirement set. Reading into a PW being in Season 3 from those comments is purely wishful thinking.

I think the statement means that there is going to be more than one wedding this season, anything else is reading into comments to hear what you want to hear. Seeing as it's been confirmed that Tyrion-Sansa will have their wedding in Ep 8 and that RW would occur after that, you've got your "more than 1 wedding" requirement set. Reading into a PW being in Season 3 from those comments is purely wishful thinking.

agreed - I think it's too much to squeeze into season 3 if Tyrion-Sansa is episode 8. They'd need to have the RW & PW in the last 2 1/2 episodes.

Where was thar confirmed or are you just going by story order?

Where was thar confirmed or are you just going by story order?

It hasn't been confirmed. The only confirmed information is that Tyrion & Sansa's wedding has been recently shot, and that it will appear in episode eight.

I'm thinking the Red Wedding and the aforementioned wedding happen in the same episode, likely book ending it with Tyrion and Sansa at the beginning and Edmure and Roslin at the end.

Given that episode seven is titled "Autumn Storms", and we know that Michelle MacLaren is directing both episodes seven and eight, I think it's much more likely that they're in the same episode and not split up.

That doesn't mean I think the Purple Wedding will be this season, because it probably won't and shouldn't, in my opinion. But I still think it's a pretty sure thing that we'll be having two weddings in episode eight, even if the only evidence I have to base that on is circumstantial at best.

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno. It seems like no matter what manner of cruelties and tragedies GRRM inflicts on his readers, we all come crawling back for more. It's not like "Baelor" lost the show any viewers; if anything, it's even more popular than before. And from what I can tell, non-book readers have already intuited that Robb, in marrying Talisa, has made a horrible mistake which is likely to get him killed; they learn quickly, ha!

I agree that it would make more sense to lump the RW and the PW together in a 1/2 Ep 9/Ep 10 punch, especially since they're quite close together in the books, but for whatever reason it doesn't look like the showrunners are doing that. It's a bit premature to conclude anything one way or another, though, as filming is still going on.

Yeah, it seems a little strange to blow it up into a big, formal affair when part of the point was that it was kind of cobbled together at the last minute. It wasn't as if only Lannisters were in attendance, though; Sansa names off several other witnesses (Varys and some nobles). The Tyrells are nowhere to be seen at the wedding itself (although they show up at the feast, I think).

In the show, it's going to make the Lannisters pretty dumb if they try to pull off a quickie stealth wedding to and invite half of King's Landing. (It's also going to make Sansa look pretty dumb if a Will/Kate-level wedding with hundreds of guests is brewing and she has absolutely no clue either that it's even happening or she's the bride until the very last minute. Sansa can be a little dense sometimes, but come on.) Maybe the circumstances of the wedding are a little different, in that the Lannisters and Tyrells have some kind of pow-wow where the Lannisters announce that Sansa is to be married to Tyrion and the Tyrells grit their teeth and can't do anything about it. If the Lannisters then proceeded to have a big, expensive, public Tyrion/Sansa wedding, it would be a very Lannister thing to do: subtly sticking it to the Tyrells by making a big public display of the Tyrells' failure and the Lannisters' success.

I'm still kind of scratching my head on why the showrunners would want to spend more money on the Tyrion/Sansa wedding and not less. It seems like the sort of thing that could be filmed pretty cheaply, since again in the books it was a secret thing on the fly, with not that many guests in attendance. The fact that it's so late in the season and that it was filmed as a big event suggests to me that the Season 3 King's Landing arc will probably be augmented a fair bit with non-book material or changed substantially.

My thought on the added pomp for Tyrion/Sansa's wedding is that they want that to contrast with the meager spread that the Freys put out at the Red Wedding. In the book, you get that contrast with the opulence of the Purple Wedding, but if they hold that until season four then it makes sense thematically to make Tyrion/Sansa a bigger deal.

I'm not sure it was a meager speed at all there was 2 armies encamped there that needed feeding, if anything I thought the "hospitality" of the freys was one of the disarming factors, they fed all their men as well, making them feel safe.

The musos however, well, not so much.

IIRC, Catelyn remarks more than once about how cramped things are and about being surprised at the poor quality of the food. It serves a very specific purpose, too. You can tell something is wrong with the wedding, but at that point it just seems like Lord Walder is making himself feel better by flinging insults. It also serves to cover up the poor quality of the musicianship since you just think he's being cheap, or at least as cheap as he was getting away with.

Between all that and the insults he launches constantly, I wouldn't exactly say the Frey's were hospitable. Cat even notes that Robb is visibly angry a few times. It's just that they never supposed he would break the guest right.

I'm not entirely sure, but IIRC Jaime was there in Joffrey's Wedding, wasn't he? I know he came to Joffrey's funeral, but I'm not 100% sure he attended the wedding. If he did, I bet the PW going to be in S4 instead of S3 as I really doubt he'll make it to KL next season.

I'm not entirely sure, but IIRC Jaime was there in Joffrey's Wedding, wasn't he? I know he came to Joffrey's funeral, but I'm not 100% sure he attended the wedding. If he did, I bet the PW going to be in S4 instead of S3 as I really doubt he'll make it to KL next season.

No, Jaime definitely gets back to King's Landing after the Purple Wedding.

No it doesn't. The problem with Sansa already exists. The possibility of her being married off to someone of the Lannister's choosing is already enough of a threat with Bran and Rickon believed to be dead. You would have thought the Reeds had to show up in Season 2 to be there for Bran's escape but they didn't and will meet up with Bran a different way. The same is true of finding out about Bran and Rickon's deaths and the effect that had on Catelyn and Robb, and how the grief sort of gave them a slight pass on the bad judgement - freeing Jamie and marrying Jayne. On the show they haven't even gotten word yet but both the mistakes have passed. So clearly they aren't bound by book cause and effect in the series. As a result it is entirely possible that Tyrion and Sansa's wedding is in the same episode as the RW.

Hell given the dramatic changes they've made to Sansa and Tyrion's wedding (it was clandestine in the book but now it will be a big affair) it is possible (though I will admit unlikely) they dispense with Joffrey ever actually getting married and he's killed off at Tyrion and Sansa's wedding instead. It would ultimately achieve the same ends since its not like Joffrey really does anything, they could just transfer the engagement to Tommen instead of the whole nonsense of reasserting Marg's virginity,and budgetwise they wouldn't still have to put together another big wedding next season. As soon as word got out that Tyrion and Sansa's wedding is a big production and so late in the season, I stopped thinking the book order and plot points were a good way to try and anticipate how season 3 plays out.

Hell given the dramatic changes they've made to Sansa and Tyrion's wedding (it was clandestine in the book but now it will be a big affair) it is possible (though I will admit unlikely) they dispense with Joffrey ever actually getting married and he's killed off at Tyrion and Sansa's wedding instead.

I think it's highly unlikely they do that -- it would be a much bigger and more unnecessary change from the books than they've done so far.

I think it's highly unlikely they do that -- it would be a much bigger and more unnecessary change from the books than they've done so far.

Honestly I feel like Tyrion and Sansa's wedding being a big event is already a much bigger and more unnecssary change from the books so more wouldn't really be all that odd. I do think it is unlikely but there is no way to tell how Tyrion and Sansa's wedding will play out and what affect it will have, since it already is so far departed from its purpose in the books by being a big deal.

Honestly I feel like Tyrion and Sansa's wedding being a big event is already a much bigger and more unnecssary change from the books so more wouldn't really be all that odd. I do think it is unlikely but there is no way to tell how Tyrion and Sansa's wedding will play out and what affect it will have, since it already is so far departed from its purpose in the books by being a big deal.

Understood. I guess the reason I think getting rid of the PW would be a bigger change than the changes they're making to the S+T wedding is that the PW is just a much more important event (S+T's marriage is important, but the wedding itself is not so much).

Maybe I've got an evil streak in me, but I think the RW is a GREAT way to end season 3. I hope it's in episode 10 and not 9. Totally an Empire Strikes Back cliffhanger to make fans wait on if there ever was one! What's the worst that could happen? I really doubt viewers are going to tune out over it. If anything, it might cause them to break down and read the books which is a good thing. And in general, cliffhanger endings rock. I realize story purposes make it desireable to make it episode 9 because there are plenty of things to do in one last episode, but I'd love to see it.

I say put the PW as deep into season 4 as they can. Introduce Oberyn late into season 3 so he han ride with Tyrion for their great chat, as well as attend the wedding. And he and Tyrion can have more scenes together while Tyrion is imprisioned as they make a plan for Oberyn to be his champion at trial.

Empire ended with Luke, Leia, Lando, Chewie, and the driods escaping on the Falcon. The Starks are our Rebels, literally and metaphorically. What's the analogous event supposed to be if the Red Wedding ends the season? I'm assuming the Arya/Hound axe scene is also left open-ended, the Lady Stoneheart storyline doesn't start until at least season 4, and we leave off with Sansa at her marriage to Tyrion. Basically, where's the hope? Is it Bran wandering north?

It's ridiculous to think the PW will be in season 3. The RW will be episode 9 or 10 or season 3 (it would be awesome if it was the last scene of episode 10). If the PW occurs in season 3, are they really going to stretch Tyrions trial, Oberyn vs. the Mountain, and Tyrion's escape over 10 episodes? Why cram so much into season 3, then drag out season 4? Talk about awful pacing.

Archived