Purple wedding in Season 3 or Season 4?

Drowningfish2304

I think the reason he told them is so they can finish the story via the TV show if he dies or becomes incapacitated before he finishes writing. Even if they know how characters' arcs are going to end, I don't see them letting the show get ahead of Martin. We would end up with two completely different stories, and I don't think that's what they want.

I hate to break it to you but we've already got two different stories, and the differences will keep growing (i.e. Tyrion and Sansa having a big wedding). HBO is not going to put the show on hiatus so Martin can finish his book first (and let's be honest if the series finishes in two more books, the last book isn't going to be out till 2017 at the earliest and HBO will have run out of material by then even if they get the the WOW material), it was part of the deal to get the series to begin with, that they would be free to write beyond what the books have covered if the series out paces the books.

The PW won't be until S4. The RW is a very powerfull moment in the books, and I'm sure they want the veiwers to feel the impact of it. If anything, that will make veiwers very antisipated for season 4. Maybe they'll end the season with Stanis arriving at The Wall to throw back Mance. That way it at least ends on a somewhat positive note.

Actually, I think Tyrion's trial, Oberyn vs. the Mountain, and Tyrion's escape are plenty of material for a full season, especially considering there's other maneuvering happening in KL during Tyrion's trial (Jamie getting back and doing his thing with the kingsguard, Cersei doing her thing as regent and Tommen getting accustomed to being king, etc.) Not that much happens in KL prior to the PW in ASOS - basically just Sansa getting to know the Tyrells and the Sansa/Tyrion wedding, so if the PW is in season 4 it's season 3 that's likely to be dragged out, in terms of the Kings Landing material at least (though I'm sure they'll find ways to keep everybody busy). Even with the PW in season 3 there would be more than enough material for season 4.

That said, at this point given that we know Sansa's wedding is in episode 8 and the RW in episode 9, I think they're saving the PW for early season 4. I think season 4 will see Oberyn's arrival in episode 1, and the PW will occur by episode 3 at the latest.

Its too bad they can't get the original actor that play the Mountain for his fight with Oberyn.

I hate to break it to you but we've already got two different stories, and the differences will keep growing (i.e. Tyrion and Sansa having a big wedding). HBO is not going to put the show on hiatus so Martin can finish his book first (and let's be honest if the series finishes in two more books, the last book isn't going to be out till 2017 at the earliest and HBO will have run out of material by then even if they get the the WOW material), it was part of the deal to get the series to begin with, that they would be free to write beyond what the books have covered if the series out paces the books.

Well if you're right, I could see Martin taking some time off from aDoS to be more involved with the show. Though we do have two different stories, they're a lot more similar than they'd be if the showrunners didn't have a book as source material to work with.

Purple is the colour of the strangler or the Tears of Lys, the poison Joffrey is killed with. ("recipe": http://www.innatthecrossroads.com/2012/03/20/tears-of-lys/)

I'm not sure what the Gold wedding is though...?

@freetickles, Yes that sounds likely, GRRM taking a break for the show so that it can go on. They can always do a Robert's Rebellion or Dunk&Egg new series afterwards (if the show continues to be so popular)

` The third book is taking up two seasons. So you can't have both weddings in one season. I think the RW will be in the penultimate episode of season three. I can't wait for the reaction of the non-book readers. The purple wedding will take place in season four, with Tyrion killing Tywin in the penultimate episode of that season.

That thought process is of course very good and rational, but it has one problem. You try to classify the seasons into the books (or the books into the season), whereas the producers have clearly stated that they adopt "A Song of Ice and Fire" as a whole, ant not as single books. So they mix and match the storylines freely without any strict rule. That's why we have stuff left to be shown from a Clash of Kings (the Reeds for example, or some prohpecies of the House of the Undying maybe) and even from Game of Thrones (practically every conversation about Rhaegar, and most notably the Tower of Joy).

So you really can't argue that because the Purple Wedding is late in the books it will not be in season 3. They just might chose to put the PW earlier in the timeline.

That said, they probably won't do it and we will see the PW in the beginning of Season 4, but that's just guesswork and a bit of spoilers on what has already been filmed so far... But we've got no such information on season 4, so it's far from being clear that Tyrion will kill Tywin in the penultimate episode of that season. They could literally put that anywhere they want...

That thought process is of course very good and rational, but it has one problem. You try to classify the seasons into the books (or the books into the season), whereas the producers have clearly stated that they adopt "A Song of Ice and Fire" as a whole, ant not as single books. So they mix and match the storylines freely without any strict rule. That's why we have stuff left to be shown from a Clash of Kings (the Reeds for example, or some prohpecies of the House of the Undying maybe) and even from Game of Thrones (practically every conversation about Rhaegar, and most notably the Tower of Joy).

So you really can't argue that because the Purple Wedding is late in the books it will not be in season 3. They just might chose to put the PW earlier in the timeline.

That said, they probably won't do it and we will see the PW in the beginning of Season 4, but that's just guesswork and a bit of spoilers on what has already been filmed so far... But we've got no such information on season 4, so it's far from being clear that Tyrion will kill Tywin in the penultimate episode of that season. They could literally put that anywhere they want...

They COULD put it anywhere, but given there is so much material happening between the 5 or more locations having the PW looming in the background of the already dramatic KL material will serve the plot really well. Have to remember its just as much about keeping current actors working so i think they'll advance the iron born chapters from AFFC and add new material especially with Ramsey before they rush to the PW.

But hey, anything can happen.

They COULD put it anywhere, but given there is so much material happening between the 5 or more locations having the PW looming in the background of the already dramatic KL material will serve the plot really well.

Yes. I think we can use some common sense about when events will fall in S4. While D&D have said they aren't constrained by the books, most of the best climaxes naturally occur at the end of each book and they are likely to take advantage of those. I think they will play around with the order of events but for the main characters at the end of S4 we'll end up at the end of aSoS.

IMO S4 will be the Oberyn & Tyrion arc. Oberyn will be introduced at the beginning of the season. There will be a few episodes to build up to the wedding. And I actually think Oberyn's fight with the Mountain will be the climax of the E9 episode. Fallout from that in E10.

IMO S4 will be the Oberyn & Tyrion arc. Oberyn will be introduced at the beginning of the season. There will be a few episodes to build up to the wedding. And I actually think Oberyn's fight with the Mountain will be the climax of the E9 episode. Fallout from that in E10.

This is exactly my thinking as well, their rapport may even be played upon to a higher degree to give the audience a connection with him through tyrion so they're attached when the mountain brains him.

` Yeah. I'm rereading ASoS currently and I'm just getting to Tyrion's Trial by Champion. So there is a lot of good stuff in this book. I still think RW for E9 of S3, but now I agree that the PW will be come earlier in S4. E9 may even be Tyrion giving Tywin eternal rest.

I thought it was pretty obvious that the PW would be season 3. One of the new casts is Tyrell Server - in what context could it apply other than Sansa's meeting with the Queen of the Thorns?

Sansa's initial meeting with the QoT? Sure. I'm sure we'll see that in S3.

And was that a typo? You thought the PW was obviously in S4 surely?

Archived