700 Free Marvel Comics For Downloading Until March 12

Fragile Bird

Anyone see this? http://www.wired.com...13/03/marvel-1/

Today at SXSW in Austin, TX, Marvel Comics announced a jaw-dropping promotion on the digital comic store. Over 700 free #1 issues of Marvel Comics from the past and present are now free to download through the end of Tuesday, March 12. Marvel is taking aim at attracting comic book readers both new and veteran with the initiative:

“At its core, Marvel #1 is all about bringing new readers into the fold,” explains Gabriel. “That doesn’t just mean fans who have never read a comic, but [also] longtime fans [who want] to jump into books they may have been waiting to try. With a plethora of great content and digital devices—be it tablets or smart phones—in more hands than ever, there is no better time to launch an initiative such as this.”

Apparently the huge rush broke Comixology. They're pausing the promo while they get ready for the onslaught of demand.

I have never been much of a comics reader, but I've been reading a whole bunch lately. First issues are typically not all that good, though, so I don't know how much I care about this.

700 marvel number ones. Probably means none of the comics are more than a year old thanks to their constant renumbering. Can't complain about free stuff but I think runs of comics eg the opening arc may have worked better as modern comics rarely have anything happen in the first issue and take 3-6 issues for a story you can judge. Hope the promotion works and is followed with some decent price entry options to continue reading.

Archived