Power Couple/ Best Pairing

dmo862000

• 4 weeks later...

I'm reading book 2 but here goes.

The power couple is Jon and Dany( I do like the sound of Jon and Asha though. I've only read one chapter with her in it but I'm a fan already.)

Sansa and Tyrion make a nice couple.( I've seen the resent season and this makes sense.)

Arya and Gendry( I'm not completely sold on Arya and Gendry. Part of me feels she is better unpaired.)

Brienne and Jamie

I'm reading book 2 but here goes.

The power couple is Jon and Dany( I do like the sound of Jon and Asha though. I've only read one chapter with her in it but I'm a fan already.)

Sansa and Tyrion make a nice couple.( I've seen the resent season and this makes sense.)

Arya and Gendry( I'm not completely sold on Arya and Gendry. Part of me feels she is better unpaired.)

Brienne and Jamie

Brienne and Jaime would more like a battle couple, rather then a power couple. Would still be pretty cool though.

Bloodraven and the Kindly Man

A downright terrifying combination

also:

Tormund and Daario

Qyburn and the Mirri Maz Durr

Varys and Marwyn

Gregor and Drogo

Tyrion and Asha

Areo Hotah and Grey Worm

Littlefinger and Euron

Roose Bolton and the Shavepate

Wyman Manderly and Yezzan no Qaggaz

They all make good pairs, if you ask me. Some are certainly more powerful than others.

Jon and Dany could be a power couple or just a power alliance, if he stayed in the Night's watch. A uniquely powerful Lord Commander due to having been through the fight with the Others and his strong links to the restored Stark great house, the northern clans and wildlings, the other northern houses, and the Stormlands.

Alternative scenario - Aegon and Margaery could be an alliance, the Tyrells dumping Tommen and the Lannisters to fight with Dorne against Dany. Willas could marry Arianne too, to tie this together.

Imagine if Illyrio Mopathis and Olenna Redwyne are to be married. Illyrio would have the resources of his own(which seems to be larger than those of House Lannister) and the cunning and spy network of Varys and the golden company. Combine that with the cunning of Olenna and the might of the reach, that would be an unstoppable force.

I've once said "no sane man would marry Margaery" because she seems a little bit "cursed" what with her husbands dying prematurely. But, in effect a practical, down to earth man might see the advantage of such a match. Further, if the Tyrells distance themselves from the Lannister and seek out another match for Margaery they might find themselves in a bit of a bind. The choice might well be for them to marry Margaery off to some other, lesser house, or, if they still want her to be queen, to the one or the other rebel lord/throne. That would leave them to choose between Aegon or Jon if the latter claims the crown in the north. So...

• Margaery + Aegon...

Bonus points for House Tyrell since they were loyal to house Targaryen during the Rebellion. However, Aegon might not agree to marry Margaery, because he's hoping Dany will show up and save the day, or because Arianne Martell is closer or because like many others he's likely to be wary of the Tyrells turning their cloak yet again.

Aegon doesn’t, IMO, bring much to the match though. No one in Westeros knows for sure who he is. When he starts winning big battles, then people might disregard their doubts concerning his birth/identity. But until such time, he’s just someone looking vaguely like a Targaryen and invading the 7k with sell-swords.

• Margaery + Jon...

Jon would/might be suspicious of the Tyrells, but he might remember Robb's mistake, and go for a powerful match rather than a love match. I can imagine also that if Jon makes a bid for the crown in the north, one of his first order of day will be to find a proper match, marry and get that out of his way. Robb did pretty good in battle, but was crap at politics. If Jon is a little bit smart about it, he’ll be more careful about winning the loyalty of his men. Showing them that he is able to make responsible decisions and that he’s thinking about a political match rather than a love match would play in his favor. IMO, the Tyrells would still be pretty powerful even after the debacle in Kingslanding is over and done with and Highgarden might yet have food stores to bring up north. Also the Tyrells house sigil seems adequate since it’s a rose. :)

• Jon + Val...

That’s a match I’d personally prefer to see. Jon might be able to pull that off, since everyone seems convinced that Val is a wildling "princess".

On the one hand, the downside of this match is that while the lords of Westeros might not object to it (they'd consider the alliance "powerful"), the fact remains that Val has little to no power over the wildlings and Jon knows that. I can see that match happening if Jon decides not to claim the crown for himself, but for Bran or Rickon and perceives himself not as “king” but rather as “war commander.”

On the other hand, the advantage of a match with Val would be to show that yes, Jon’s marrying young northern girls off to “savages,” but he’s also inclined to take a “savage” to his bed. Might show that he’s willing to make the same “sacrifices” he’s asking of his own people. It would build a bridge between wildlings and northerners, as well as encourage further marriages between them, and symbolize a “union” of long standing enemies against the greater foes (southerners, R’hllor followers and Others)...basically it’d be a match in the spirit of a Pan-blood-of-the-first-men movement. (or would it be a “Transborder Blood-of-the-First-Men” movement?)

• Tyrion + Dany...

Not a match I'd particularly like to see but it has potential. Though it’d be some time before I’d consider it “powerful”. Dany would be an invader with no proper army (granted she has dragons, but I suspect, Viserion and Rhaegal will part ways soon enough to join with their rider). And Tyrion...well right now he has nothing. He should be the heir of Casterly rock but, I think the Lannister power will be reduced to ashes by the time he makes it back to westeros. That leaves him only with his wit.

• Gendry + Sansa

I think this one is more likely to happen then Gendry/Arya. I don't see Arya settling down with anyone, and Gendry and Sansa are closer geographically speaking. Robert's bastard with the Ned's little girl. Gendry could make a bid for Stormsend and undermine Stannis. Sansa would bring the north, the riverlands and/or the Vale. A pretty good match.

other matches:

• Sansa + Aegon, would be a good match. Not as powerful as Jon and Margaery I reckon, but still pretty good (as long as Jon doesn’t press his claim, and only if Sansa reveals herself).
  • Jon Stark+Alayne Stone would be pretty powerful. But I’d have to come up with a pretty good reason for them to marry, and to do it under false identities no less. It's not a match I particularly like but it's worth considering.
  • Jon Targaryen/Sansa Stark, could IMO, only be powerful in the end game: If Jon reveals himself as a Targaryen even in the next book, he’d have two other Targaryens with a better/more obvious claim to contend with, and that means that he’d have to build up his own following first. (While the claim might gain him the north, I think the south would probably just ignore him until he shows himself a dangerous and able enemy.)
  • Aegon + Arianne would be a most logical match but, IMO, not much more powerful than A+S or A+M.
  • Jon + Dany would be powerful to undermine Aegon. Similarly Aegon + Dany would be a powerful match to undermine Jon. I prefer Aegon + Dany.

Jon/Margaery + Sansa/Gendry has a lot of potential. Either way, a Jon/Sansa friendship with a marriage match for either would be the best for the realm.

I can’t help but think that Asha Greyjoy is a pretty good match for any throne contender. Granted Euron is still in power, but if he loses in one way or another the loyalty of some of his men, then Asha (as her father's favorite and chosen heir) is pretty much the key to the Iron Islands, and hence the Iron fleet...though having a fleet in winter seems a bit pointless considering the sailing conditions.

Archived