which great house can field the largest army?

in the tv series it is made clear,

lannisters>starks>tyrells>stormlander

but in the books it is all a bit murky, the lannisters are the most richest and they initially fielded 35,000 and then another 10,000.

The starks came with 20,000 men and that was the end of it. They've desperately struggled for men ever since.

The tyrells seem to have a larger army than the starks and lannisters combined(50,000+) and even when mace tyrell and garlan tyrell were preoccupied with their armies, margery said that her brother willias could raise over 20,000 more men.

The strength of the stormlands is also similar to the starks.

The tully's being a richer family and the riverlands being a more populous place, should have a larger army than the starks, but they seem to have a smaller one than them.

Dorne is said to have 50,000 men but doran martell cleared this as an exaggeration.

So which house is most powerful in terms of land forces?

It seems to me that the tyrells not the lannisters are the strongest house in the continent. They have the largest army, the most fertile and populous country and the strongest fleet.

Plus one more thing, what is the military power of the iron throne?

little and less than all the above, it is somewhat reminiscent of the Ashikaga shogunate

It's the Tyrells

They can field around twice of that of any other great house.

The Iron Throne is actually pretty weak directly. The crownlands can field maybe 15000-20000 swords along with 6000 gold cloaks?

But then there are lots of sellswords who would flock to King's Landing.

I would say

Stark- 45000-50000

Lannister 50000-60000

Arryn 40000-50000

Tully 40000-50000

Baratheon(Storm Land's) 30000-35000

Martell 20000-30000

Greyjoy Approximately 20000

I would say the Tyrells can field 90000-100000.

Tyrells have the biggest but they are most likely not as well trained. People say 100,000 for them but i put it at 50,000 to 60,000. Renly had 100,000 so i would say 25,000 Stormalnders, 60,000 Tyrells and the rest are tag alongs and peasants.

North 35,000 Robb took 20,000 but did not call his full strength

Dorne 20,000 I think Doran says himself.

Riverlands had 40,000 but poor management by Edmure reduced his numbers greatly.

Crownlands maybe 15,000

Tywin can raise 40,000 with myabe half well trained.

Tyrells have the biggest but they are most likely not as well trained. People say 100,000 for them but i put it at 50,000 to 60,000. Renly had 100,000 so i would say 25,000 Stormalnders, 60,000 Tyrells and the rest are tag alongs and peasants.

North 35,000 Robb took 20,000 but did not call his full strength

Dorne 20,000 I think Doran says himself.

Riverlands had 40,000 but poor management by Edmure reduced his numbers greatly.

Crownlands maybe 15,000

Tywin can raise 40,000 with myabe half well trained.

Tag along and peasants make up a big part of every army. Those don't count against the Tyrells.

And the Redwynes did not field any men. And I believe the Hightowers barely sent any men either.

Those are two of the Tyrells strong bannerman btw.

I think that is fairly accepted that the Tyrells can muster the largest amount of swords.

Doubtful.

I would say that the Lannisters can field the most swords (and more importantly, spears), but the Tyrells can certainly muster the most men.

Swordsmen require quite a lot of training. Training requires gold. No-one has more gold than the Lannisters.

Doubtful.

I would say that the Lannisters can field the most swords (and more importantly, spears), but the Tyrells can certainly muster the most men.

Swordsmen require quite a lot of training. Training requires gold. No-one has more gold than the Lannisters.

The Lannister soldiers are probably better equipped than the Tyrell soldiers, but the Tyrells are very rich as well. What would the Tyrell soldiers be using instead of swords?

Doubtful.

i did not mean that the number of swords per necessity was more among the Tyrells, although I hold that as likely as well since the Reach is a rich region. What I meant was to say that with "swords" I meant men. Just like the term sworn sword can also include guys who uses maces, hammers, and axes as well, even though the word is specifically "sword".

Regarding the Lannister wealth, would their soldiers really be much better equipped? As I understand it, the lords did not arm all of their men, it would be impossible. Now obviously the Westerlands are a rich region but if all of the gold stays with the nobility, why would the soldiers be armed any better? Or do they get a certain amount of money to buy their arms and armour?

As Free Northman said once for Tyrells, they can muster some ungodly number... :)

Regarding the Lannister wealth, would their soldiers really be much better equipped? As I understand it, the lords did not arm all of their men, it would be impossible. Now obviously the Westerlands are a rich region but if all of the gold stays with the nobility, why would the soldiers be armed any better? Or do they get a certain amount of money to buy their arms and armour?

I actually think it is standardized. I mean, all knights know what they have to have. Look at how Dunk knew entire protocol for tournaments and what he needs. So, I do acknowledge there has to be some variations in equipment, I am not certain how big they are.

Supposedly the lords themselves have armories in their seats from which weapons and armor and brought out to equip both the regular soldiers during their service, as well as the levies during the duration of the war when they are raised. After the war the arms and armor and returned to the armories under the lord's control.

The military structure of the Realm is somewhat complicated with the titles of Wardens. Each Warden is supposed to lead a quarter of the whole Realm's troops when necessary. Ned thinks it inappropriate that Lannisters should have half of the combined strength under their command. But then, I don't remember any more reference to Jaime as Warden of the East (used to be a hereditary title of Arryns) after his first (indirect) mention in the conversation between Robert and Ned. Still, appointing Jaime as WotE shows King Bob as Cersei's bitch.

In addition, in times when there is no general warfare, each Warden is supposed to protect the Realm against some particular long-term threat. I guess the Warden of the East is charged with repelling overseas invasions from Essos, the Warden of the North stands guard against wildlings (as a useful addition to Night's Watch), the Warden of the West should keep the ironborn at bay (even though they are part of the Realm), and the Warden of the South... a delicate thing, but the Reach is a natural enemy of Dorne, and while both are Realm's provinces, charging Mace Tyrell with this title implies he should check Dorne.

All this bears some unhealthy implications. I really don't know how to fit the military doctrine of 7K together, especially after Targs have been deposed.

Supposedly the lords themselves have armories in their seats from which weapons and armor and brought out to equip both the regular soldiers during their service, as well as the levies during the duration of the war when they are raised. After the war the arms and armor and returned to the armories under the lord's control.

That's what I used to think, but in this great thread, I learned that the farm owners etc. were expected to own weapons and armour. It's more understandable, bearing this in mind, for the soldiers of the Reach to be better equipped as they could sell whatever food they didn't need themselves or owed their lords. I feel that it's unlikely that the smallfolk in the Westerlands had access to the gold, though the gold would help the economy in cities so I suppose it would be easier for them to get hold of weapons and armour...

The military structure of the Realm is somewhat complicated with the titles of Wardens. Each Warden is supposed to lead a quarter of the whole Realm's troops when necessary. Ned thinks it inappropriate that Lannisters should have half of the combined strength under their command. But then, I don't remember any more reference to Jaime as Warden of the East (used to be a hereditary title of Arryns) after his first (indirect) mention in the conversation between Robert and Ned. Still, appointing Jaime as WotE shows King Bob as Cersei's bitch.

In addition, in times when there is no general warfare, each Warden is supposed to protect the Realm against some particular long-term threat. I guess the Warden of the East is charged with repelling overseas invasions from Essos, the Warden of the North stands guard against wildlings (as a useful addition to Night's Watch), the Warden of the West should keep the ironborn at bay (even though they are part of the Realm), and the Warden of the South... a delicate thing, but the Reach is a natural enemy of Dorne, and while both are Realm's provinces, charging Mace Tyrell with this title implies he should check Dorne.

All this bears some unhealthy implications. I really don't know how to fit the military doctrine of 7K together, especially after Targs have been deposed.

Robert was named Warden of the East by Tywin in return for not joining the war.

Well when the Targaryens took over, Dorne was their enemy so it's perfectly reasonable for them to have a Tyrell Warden of the South. Now it's merely an honorary position as there are no threats from the South, unless the Summer Islands decide to invade.

That's what I used to think, but in this great thread, I learned that the farm owners etc. were expected to own weapons and armour. It's more understandable, bearing this in mind, for the soldiers of the Reach to be better equipped as they could sell whatever food they didn't need themselves or owed their lords. I feel that it's unlikely that the smallfolk in the Westerlands had access to the gold, though the gold would help the economy in cities so I suppose it would be easier for them to get hold of weapons and armour...

Maybe the Westerland soldiers just get extra pay/tax reductions so that they can keep themselves better equipped, which could be financed with the gold in the region.

Archived