Mismatched eyes

Grave Rob

I've been thinking about the amount of characters that have mismatched eyes. There seem to be a lot of them, especially if you include characters that miss an eye or have a scar over an eye. Many of them are pretty prominent too, let me list!

Mismatched eyes:
Tyrion
Siera Seastar

Euron (possibly caused by hyphema)

One eye missing:

Brynden Rivers/three-eyed crow
Mors Umber

Beric Dondarrion

Jack-Be-Lucky (minor char)
Yna (minor char)

Lambert Turnberry (just wears an eyepatch)

One-Eye (warged wolf)

Scar over one eye:

The Hound
Jon Snow (after the eagle attack)
Podric Payne (has a stye)
Myrcella (possibly?)

Since GRRM actually puts in a lot of effort to describe the eyes of most of his characters I cant help but wonder wheither there is more here than meets the eye ( :D ). Any thoughts?

Wait, Euron has an eye under there? His wiki page says it conceals a black eye - I never caught that. What's he hiding under there? I was daydreaming the other day thinking he might have an Other-like eye.

It is probably a Weirwood eye or the Millenium item from Yu-Gi-Oh!

I was thinking more among the lines that characters with mismatched eyes are not what they appear to be.

Tyrion: Hideous dwarf, gets treated like shit because of it -> is actually really clever
The hound: big burly guy, everybody is afraid of him -> actually helps damsels in distress

Shiera: Total babe -> Actually very cruel
Euron: Goodlooking dude -> Totally evil.

I think heterochromia seems to be way too common among the nobility in the series, it's supposed to be quite a rare condition.

Thats what set me on thinking about this in the first place. You rarely see a character with Heterochromia in literature, but here we have a series that is filled with them. It might mean something, right?

Although mutations and disfiguration do feature prominently throughout the series. We have dwarfism, albinism, castration, morbid obesity, amputation, fatal disease, and many more.

I think heterochromia seems to be way too common among the nobility in the series, it's supposed to be quite a rare condition.

Heh... it could be a consequence of inbreeding.

Well this is a fantasy series of books after all so George can make heterochromia as common as he wants. Purple eyes don't exist at all but are fairly common in the books.

I consider the description of mismatched eyes to be a device GRRM uses to make characters stand out in the minds of his readers rather than an indication of special status or abilities. But you never know...

One character with unusual eyes that fascinates me is Mors Umber (Crowfood). He is missing an eye (damned crows!) and chooses to wear a chunk of dragonglass in its place.

It's fascinating, there's not a single woman in the books who wants Tyrion, except Tysha in his mind. But somehow he's going to land one of the hottest babes in Westeros, Dany or Sansa (why not both? threesome!) in the last two books of a seven book series. Even though both women are completely obsessed with two other men. And we're just getting to the climax of the epic saga. Get writing, GRRM!

Archived