Why is it a "Song..."?

Fanless Mace

This may have been discussed elsewhere, or there may be some GRRM comments somewhere I've not seen:

Why is the title of the books series "A SONG of Ice and Fire"? In other words, is there significance to it being a "song," and what might be that significance? Will there be some upcoming reference to a song, perhaps sung by the Children, that is crucial to the denouement?

Or is GRRM just using the word for a poetic title, and it has no significance? Whaddya think?

Because Dany had a dream in which a dragon was singing to her and the thing about how for the first time in hundreds of years the night came alive with the music of dragons. And Bran also heard the direwolves singing to him when he was in a coma and then he started to get better. So Dany/dragons = Fire and Bran/Direwolves = Ice, and Jon is the balance

And my own theory is that the Song of Ice and Fire is the song of Jenny of Oldstones. Prince Duncan (Fire) gave his crown for Jenny and Oldstones is connected to the First Men (which I relate to Ice). My guess is that he was trying to fulfill the AA/PtwP prophecy, for which you need a Targ and someone with blood of the First Men. And Rhaegar tried to fulfill the same prophecy with Lyanna

Ice and Fire are opposites, and the story is full of parallels for these two forces opposing each other, locked in a chaotic struggle. Even the seasons of the world are unpredictable. A song signifies harmony and beauty sprung from a balance of these two forces. So I'd say the series is named as it is because it's about creating unity from that multiplicity

Because Martin is paying homage to the epic tradition, specifically Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, great epics that were originally meant to be sung by a bard who is often accompanied with a lyre. Many Homeric scholars believe that Homer was illiterate; therefore, he did not pen his long poems about the deeds of heroes. Hundreds of years later, a group of rhapsodists recorded Homer's works on scrolls.

i think the Song here means the Harmony, in addition to just a Story. A harmony like in a mutual combination, when one is not complete without another. You can note how Martin never writes purely dualistic stuff, I mean, he does not make two things completely opposite - his Light and Darkness, Ice and Fire, they always contribute the world together, one is impossible without another. Hence the Harmony, hence the Song.

ETA: it's like saying that the Whole is partly Ice and partly Fire, which is perhaps also true for the main heroes, be that Jon or Dany or whoever.

Just to say it:Tolkiens Silmarillion mentions a song of creation and in the same song Eru(Iluvatar) creates a harmony in the song but Melkor(a.k.a. Morgoth) to show his power enters the song but all Melkor creates is chaos, when Melkor enters the song Eru intensifies his part of the song to silence Melkor and Melkor rises his part as well like his father did but while Eru creates more harmony Melkor continues to create more chaos in the end Eru shuts Melkor.Eru reveals that this song was the song of creation and when Melkor entered this song he changed somethings Eru also mentions the secret fire.Melkor searches for this fire for a long time in search of power but he never finds it.Let me skip forward Melkors effect in the creation harms Ea(earth or middle earth) when Valar finds Ea they also find volcanos and destruction also they found forests, rivers and stuff.Melkors always used Angband as his Fortress and if you look in the history of Melkors assaults you will see too much volcano and fire.Hell Melkor created the dragons, trolls, orcs, vampires, werewolves etc...Actually Sauron was lord of vampires and werewolves he became a vampire once.

Well what I am trying to say is Fire consumes and destroys (Melkor) but ice preserves.

I believe it's about to tell the battle between two distinct, powerful, maybe opposing, forces of Life.

I dont know how to completely say this but for me Ice personifies tradition, duty, or the personage of Jon, while Fire means progress, aggression or daring, or Dany.

Archived