Stannis, Daenerys and Viserys

Feliciano69

So, I'm as much a Stannis fan as anyone else, though I do wonder:

When Stannis was sent by Robert to Dragonstone, would he have killed the Targaryen children ?

It seems to me like it was pretty clear that was his purpose, and most likely Robert wouldn't have asked for anything less than more children wrapped in red cloaks. Then again, I can't say Stannis is Tywin by any means, and I do wonder if his loyalty to Robert would've been absolute to the point of executing a newborn baby and a boy.

We all know about Edric, so maybe there's evidence for that; but I don't know really.

What do you good folk think :D ?

Did Robert actually say that Stannis should kil those kids? I always thought Robert was the kind of person who doesn't like to give ugly commands like that and instead prefers to hope that someone else (like Tywin) takes the initiative on his behalf. If he doesn't give the command, Stannis could probably send them into exile and then look befuddled when Robert complains to him about letting the children live later on.

It's a tough question. Off the bat, I'm inclined to say that Stannis would have done it if Robert ordered him to do it. But I'm not so certain that Robert did order it, or would have ordered it. Certainly he was callous towards, and, by some accounts, relieved by the deaths of Aegon and Rhaenys, but if he had been intent on Dany and Viserys being killed too it seems he'd have invested more effort into it. Apparently he just let them go wander the Free Cities.

Maybe that's slightly off-topic, so back to Stannis. Stannis isn't the Ned Stark swing the sword yourself type, so he certainly wouldn't have personally carried out the order. My guess, though, is that he'd have handed the kids off to whoever was to do the deed and then spend the rest of his life deflecting blame onto other people, his duty, or the exigent circumstances, as is his wont.

I was always torn by this as on one hand he doesn't like to kill innocents but on the other hand they are a threat to his brother and to his own family. We know that he will rebel under the right circumstances,(such as choosing Robert over the mad king), but if he were ordered to kill the children and Davos was no where near...

I always thought Robert was the kind of person who doesn't like to give ugly commands like that and instead prefers to hope that someone else (like Tywin) takes the initiative on his behalf. If he doesn't give the command, Stannis could probably send them into exile and then look befuddled when Robert complains to him about letting the children live later on.

Good point about Robert's character, though I'm not sure if Stannis would've let them go, if such was the case, why even go to Dragonstone in the first place ?

My guess, though, is that he'd have handed the kids off to whoever was to do the deed and then spend the rest of his life deflecting blame onto other people, his duty, or the exigent circumstances, as is his wont.

A good possibility as well, though I do wonder if maybe the concept of justice should enter at some point.

I mean, couldn't they have been raised as wards somewhere else ? Maybe there's a reason that wouldn't have been possible given how Tywin decided to terminate the lives of the Targaryen children.

Then again, Tywin was always an asshole.

Can't remember if we're told that Robert actually ordered the remaining Targs to be killed, or whether he just wanted them captured. Might have been a difficult situation for Stannis if the order was clearly to see that they are executed. Stannis was reluctant to sacrifice Edric for a long time regardless of his wife and red priestess nagging about it, but was ready to go through with it since he saw no other options.

One possibility would have been for Stannis to capture the Targ kids, bring them to court and tell Robert to do the dirty work himself if he wanted the kids to die. That's what I would have done (if I was Stannis...)

If Stannis had gotten hold of the Targaryen kids they would die. Just like Rhaegar's children they were potential dangers to the Baratheon dynasty and if Daenerys returns triumphant with her dragons then it would rather clearly illustrate the danger of not having them killed.

A good possibility as well, though I do wonder if maybe the concept of justice should enter at some point.

Well, I definitely think Stannis would have considered it unjust, and wrong. It's an order I don't think he'd have ever given, just followed. I think Stannis is strongly interested in and contemplative about matters of right and wrong, but ultimately he tends to seek the comfort and clarity of 'law' and 'duty'- which is what makes his engagement with issues outside of this framework (Edric, the NW & Wildlings, the Others) so fascinating.

They would probably have tried to marry them into the Baratheon family to shore up the claim. Westeros could have ended up with a Joffery and Dany marriage.

Gah-what happens when the psychotic meets the arrogant?I can't help but wonder how long would that marriage work before Joff had an "accident".

If Stannis had gotten hold of the Targaryen kids they would die. Just like Rhaegar's children they were potential dangers to the Baratheon dynasty and if Daenerys returns triumphant with her dragons then it would rather clearly illustrate the danger of not having them killed.

So if Balon hadn't bent the knee, then Theon would've needed to be executed ?

I don't see why the royal children couldn't be kept as wards of some sort

I swear, if I ever get the chance to ask Martin anything, it will be this :lol:

Killing "civilian" highborn is not the standard way of dealing with them; Tywin slaughtering Reyne, Tarbeck and Targaeryen children was considered exceptionally cruel. Gregor killing that Darry boy was considered monstrous.

With that in mind, unless Stannis had explicit orders to kill Rhaella, Viserys and Daenerys (to which his account suggest he did not have), he would have no reason to do so.

I once had a theory that Stannis let them escape, it has nothing to back it up, however, I just liked it because it adds to any conflict between him and Danearys. I'd be surprised if Robert orders the deaths, and if he doesn't order it, it doesn't happen... If he does, well, thats the thing, on the matter of the Targ children we've never had Stannis' point of view, he wasn't at the council meeting where his douchebag brother Renly just shrugged and went along with it, and we don't know his opnions of what was going down on DragonStone. When it comes to morals, I think Stannis leans more toward Barristan and Ned, than Littlefinger, Renly and even Robert.

Stannis is not above killing children if he felt it good for the realm. See Edric Storm for details. Stannis was conflicted on this point, but he was gonna do it anyway. What the Edric Storm thing shows us is that Stannis isnt arsed too much if such targets get away because he is now relieved of the moral ambiguity of killing a child for the sake of the realm. It is very possible that Stannis reached Dragonstone and Dany and Viserys already got away and he was like "Meh...give no chase. Robert will deal with it. They'll die in Essos anyway for all we know...whew...one ugly order out the window."

Did Robert actually say that Stannis should kil those kids? I always thought Robert was the kind of person who doesn't like to give ugly commands like that and instead prefers to hope that someone else (like Tywin) takes the initiative on his behalf. If he doesn't give the command, Stannis could probably send them into exile and then look befuddled when Robert complains to him about letting the children live later on.

:agree:

Below is an early example of Robert's attitude toward life.

“What do you say, Ned? Just you and me, two vagabond knights on the kingsroad, our swords at our sides and the gods know what in front of us, and maybe a farmer’s daughter or a tavern wench to warm our beds tonight.” AGoT p 110

Robert does not want to deal with consequences. Heck, he doesn't want to acknowledge that consequences exist.

Stannis would capture the children, if possible, to return them for trial or whatever. The letter of the law.

Archived