Rickon's Role

.Scream

I subscribe to the opinion that Rickon will be the Stark in Winterfell, an the Stark lineage will continue through him...

Whether he will play an active role in the books it's a different matter: I can see him remaining a non-POW Stark, just like Robb, his story being told by other POVs. I think he will get the Winterfell through his supporters (Manderlay, Stannis, possibly Jon) and there will be quite bit of drama of making him Lord of Winterfell, but he will not be a particularly active character himself. The epilogue, or last chapters of ADOS might tell or mention his future endeavours, but for the most of the books he will be a pawn (though possibly a quite aggressive one) in the hands of his supporters.

I love the idea of Rickon playing a significant role by the end of the Series. Bran is not coming back from North of the wall, Rickon would have the best claim IF Jon chooses to remain at the wall because Jon has been legitimized by Robb so Jon is now Jon Stark not Jon Snow. So if Jon stays at the wall, or dies, Rickon has the best claim and I hope he is the one who ends up with Winterfell as his seat, maybe even with Davos as his "Hand" if Rickon becomes King in the North, otherwise I would still be satisfied if Rickon is merely Lord of Winterfell.

Jon being legitimized by a usurper to the throne really is not worth that much

Even in the north many turned against Rob (including the Boltons)

Rickon is the heir

Only other way is if to mend the nation Tyrion & Sansa take over

But then who gets Casterly Rock?

assuming the freys are killed and Edmure is restored as lord of riverrun, then wouldn't the stark children be next in line of succesion until edmure has a child? so maybe they combine the vale, riverlands and north into their own country and seperate from the others? If they were to inherit

Rickon died in that shipwreck at the coast of Skagos, probably because Shaggydog got hungry and wild while on the boat. Davos will return with Shaggydog's pelt as a proof Rickon died. Manderly will then find a nice child, educate it to be Rickon, and bethrot it to Wylla.

Osha survived and will return with the sword Rickon took from the crypts and slay the lies.

This is the first chapter of the first book of the A Song of Earth and Water series. The book will be titled A Name of Bones and released in 2095.

This is an excellent discussion and one of the many mysterious facets of the series that will hopefully get revealed in Winds.

I prescribe to the theory I learnt recently about Winterfell being an important place (hence its name) and integral to the end of the Long Night 2.0. Therefore if you combine that with Jojen's prophecy about the Wolves coming back then it's safe to assume at least some of the remaining four [who are able-bodied, ie not a tree] will go to Winterfell at some stage and it will more than likely be a battle of more importances than just Stags n Peelers we are getting now.

Whether her own feelings or LF's machinations, there's a lot of substance to Sansa going back and being the Lady of Winterfell. It seems inevitable. Also we have Davos plan to bring Rickon to Stannis/Manderley and as far as we know he is alive so this should eventuate, especially since it looks like Stannis will win the battle and be inside Winterfell for some part of the book.

The problem with the other two is that Jon has to be resurrected out of Ghost by Mel first ( I don't think it will be straight away) AND renounce his NW vows. Arya has to get to Westeros first, kill whomever it is she will target (Cersei?) AND renounce her FM teachings.

So a lot of big obstacles for those twos.

Returning to Rickon I think the biggest question here at the moment to analyse is why Osha took him to Skagos to being with. I don't think it is necessarily because it's so remote, or last place others will look. She must have some sort of connection to the place, or know that here is something specific there. And whatever that is will drive Rickon's plot.

This is an excellent discussion and one of the many mysterious facets of the series that will hopefully get revealed in Winds.

I prescribe to the theory I learnt recently about Winterfell being an important place (hence its name) and integral to the end of the Long Night 2.0. Therefore if you combine that with Jojen's prophecy about the Wolves coming back then it's safe to assume at least some of the remaining four [who are able-bodied, ie not a tree] will go to Winterfell at some stage and it will more than likely be a battle of more importances than just Stags n Peelers we are getting now.

Whether her own feelings or LF's machinations, there's a lot of substance to Sansa going back and being the Lady of Winterfell. It seems inevitable. Also we have Davos plan to bring Rickon to Stannis/Manderley and as far as we know he is alive so this should eventuate, especially since it looks like Stannis will win the battle and be inside Winterfell for some part of the book.

The problem with the other two is that Jon has to be resurrected out of Ghost by Mel first ( I don't think it will be straight away) AND renounce his NW vows. Arya has to get to Westeros first, kill whomever it is she will target (Cersei?) AND renounce her FM teachings.

So a lot of big obstacles for those twos.

Returning to Rickon I think the biggest question here at the moment to analyse is why Osha took him to Skagos to being with. I don't think it is necessarily because it's so remote, or last place others will look. She must have some sort of connection to the place, or know that here is something specific there. And whatever that is will drive Rickon's plot.

That's a good point about Osha. Why did she take Rickon there? Does she have connections? The islands inhabitants have a reputation for being cannibals, but nobody has confirmed this to my knowledge. They also seem to still hold the practices of the Old Gods, which means it's possible that they would take care of Rickon, being a Stark (just speculation at this point, since not much has been revealed about the island yet).

Either way, I think Rickon is going to be brought back and used by Stannis as a pawn to get the North to fight behind him, and the eventual result will be Rickon back on the seat at Winterfell.

That's a good point about Osha. Why did she take Rickon there? Does she have connections? The islands inhabitants have a reputation for being cannibals, but nobody has confirmed this to my knowledge. They also seem to still hold the practices of the Old Gods, which means it's possible that they would take care of Rickon, being a Stark (just speculation at this point, since not much has been revealed about the island yet).

Either way, I think Rickon is going to be brought back and used by Stannis as a pawn to get the North to fight behind him, and the eventual result will be Rickon back on the seat at Winterfell.

I am thinking it probably was not Osha's idea to bring him there. Someone else was involved. Maybe Luwin suggested it. Or maybe Osha went to the Umbers first who sent them there...we shall see.

I also think it is worth considering that it might be only Shaggydog and not Rickon who is there. Boy and wolf may have been split to protect his identity, or may have been split unwillingly because of a shipwreck.

I am thinking it probably was not Osha's idea to bring him there. Someone else was involved. Maybe Luwin suggested it. Or maybe Osha went to the Umbers first who sent them there...we shall see.

I also think it is worth considering that it might be only Shaggydog and not Rickon who is there. Boy and wolf may have been split to protect his identity, or may have been split unwillingly because of a shipwreck.

I agree with this. We saw how the clans were aware of Bran's progress north ( but they seemed to know it was important to just let him proceed). Luwin mentioned White Harbour as one possible source of help. Osha left out the main gate , intending to "follow the Kingsroad" for a bit. This means she would initially be moving south. (She would also know to travel off the road). I suspect they were contacted by Umbers/Manderlys involved in ship building. (Wex's story doesn't really add up).

If any of the northern houses have have any contacts or relations with Skagos, it would likely be the Umbers (nearest neighbours to Skagos). With Umber/Manderly help, they could have been sent by ship from, say, Widow's Watch... Wyman mentions WW to Davos several times and all the land between the Kingsroad and the coast is firmly in Manderly's control. ( Moving up the river and through Umber lands would take them dangerously close to Bolton and Karstark territoty.)

The shipwreck could well be theirs, but even if it is, it may have been wrecked on it's way back. It might even have been scuttled intentionally , in case they were ever traced that far .. We just don't know , but I suspect there is something to be known about that wreck, eventually.

As young and wild as Rickon is, and as fierce as Shaggy is , I doubt that they could be safely separated, though. One or the other might be injured or killed in trying to reach each other ... and Shaggy is proof of Rickon's ID when they are ready to produce him.

^Just like the "common knowledge" that the Night's Watch are honorable and the Free Folk are dishonorable, what is known is in the eye of the beholder.

And the common assumption that Bran will turn into a tree and never be able to leave his place north of the wall reeks of one of those set-ups which the author loves to mind-fuck us with by the end of a story thread.

Archived