Foods of ASOIAF

JesterX

Pigeon is pretty tasty so reading about pigeon pie makes my mouth water.

Like Elia Sand mentioned, I wouldn't be too interested in a bowl o' brown. The thought of it turns my stomach similar to how chicken nuggets from McD's or generic hotdogs or some animal feed make me ill just thinking about them. Probably Frey Pies, too, just because human meat doesn't seem like it would be very tasty, especially when I've never experienced starvation. I've never tried lamprey, but pictures of lampreys really gross me out so the idea of lamprey pie seems icky. However, I might change my mind if I tried it without knowing what was in it and ended up enjoying it.

Also, if I were a dragon, I would be disgusted at the idea of human breast milk. It's not digestible for reptiles. I can't imagine how much gastric pain the dragons experienced from that.

I actually have a recipe for pigeon pie. Mourning Dove hunting was legalized here not too long ago and apparently the breast meat on them is pretty tasty.

I raise my own meat animals and still usually end up giving the organ meats to my dogs. Just the texture makes me squeamish. But, in the culture of not wasting things, you'd learn to quell your revulsion and eat it anyway. My main customers are from India and I never knew that spleens were edible until I met them.

For lamprey pie, I'd be dubious about eating it (says the woman with calamari in the oven as I type), again, just because they're creepy looking. But if it were served to me and told "seafood" I'd probably eat it without batting an eye.

It is mentioned that Jon Snow ate horse meat (garron, basically a large pony) with the wildlings and horse meat is supposed to be pretty good. European/Asian/Canadian members will have to vouch for me on that one. It's supposed to taste like elk or caribou. I've had elk and I like it. Although a tough gamy pony living on pine needles and tough grass might not be as good.

It is mentioned that Jon Snow ate horse meat (garron, basically a large pony) with the wildlings and horse meat is supposed to be pretty good. European/Asian/Canadian members will have to vouch for me on that one. It's supposed to taste like elk or caribou. I've had elk and I like it. Although a tough gamy pony living on pine needles and tough grass might not be as good.

I am from Europe and in my country horse steak is very common and very tasty I might add.

Does anybody else think "pigeon pie" sounds like the nastiest, most disgusting, dish ever conceived of or devised?

Anybody else have an asoiaf food they think sounds disgusting or enticing?

Pigeon were considered a good thing to eat until recently. It's only very recently, when we have created big cities with lots of trash and landfills that pidgeons are regarded as "flying rats"

Heck, in ye olde days, pigs and chickens would be the ones eating all the trash in the streets, while pidgeons got most of their food from the fields, and were seen as cleaner. That's the reason semitic cultures came to see pigs as impure.

A pidgeon grown and fattened with corn would be as good a food as any other.

I would eat horse meat without trouble, to me, they are just hornless cows (that doesn't mean that I don't like horses; I do like cows). In my country the prejudice against horse meat is due to the belief that they must be ilegal meat coming from old or sick working beasts, so it isn't safe.

I, on the other hand, would never eat dog. It would be like cannibalism. Heck, there is some people that, I would kill if I were starving, and share the meat with their dogs rather than the opposite.

A pidgeon grown and fattened with corn would be as good a food as any other.

I have the Little House on the Prairie series, including the cookbook (where I have the pigeon pie recipe). And when the Ingallses were homesteading in the Dakotas, they ate the blackbirds that were eating their corn. And cooked them in a pie.

Stormland's Fury, what country are you from?

I'm near the US/Canada border and there are restaurants that serve horse in Canada. It's kind of a joke here that be careful what you order when you go to Windsor or Sarnia, it could be horse. I own horses and love them like children, but I'm not opposed to eating it. In fact, since they banned horse slaughter here in the USA, the price of horses has dropped and you it's hard to even give them away now

I was actually surprised as a teenager when I learnt that other countries don't eat horse.

There was that whole scandal when horse meat was found in meat products in the UK and parts of Scandinavia. To be fair it was marketed as beef, but still.

Well, there are three problems there:

1.-They're giving you something different from what you paid for, so its a fraud.

2.-Were those horses properly slaughtered? Are they safe to eat? There is a health hazzard there, because, if they are lying about the species of the animal, how do we know they aren't lying about the safety of the meat?

3.-Many people see horses as pets, and just can't see them as food. It's the same with rabbits, in many countries.

Pigeon can be fine. Horse, too.

Foods I'd avoid are swan cooked in it's feathers; Sam's rum and breast-milk cocktail; stew of unborn puppy; pale sticky princes; honey smeared across Kraznys' breasts; raw rat; Frey pies; pots o' brown.

Pigeon can be fine. Horse, too.

Foods I'd avoid are swan cooked in it's feathers; Sam's rum and breast-milk cocktail; stew of unborn puppy; pale sticky princes; honey smeared across Kraznys' breasts; raw rat; Frey pies; pots o' brown.

Pale sticky princes? What's that?

░░░░▄▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄▄▄▄░░░░

░░▄▀▒▓▒▓▓▒▓▒▒▓▒▓▀▄░░

▄▀▒▒▓▒▓▒▒▓▒▓▒▓▓▒▒▓█░

█▓▒▓▒▓▒▓▓▓░░░░░░▓▓█░

█▓▓▓▓▓▒▓▒░░░░░░░░▓█░

▓▓▓▓▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░█░

▓▓▓▓░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░▄█▄▀░

░▀▄▓░░▒▀▓▓▒▒░░█▓▒▒░░

▀▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▒▒█░

░▀░▀░░░░░▒▒▀▄▄▒▀▒▒█░

░░▀░░░░░░▒▄▄▒▄▄▄▒▒█░