If there was "no final book in sight", would that enhance or decrease your anticipation?

If he said this statement sincerely (and I never see him saying anything THIS vague about the series or its end) then it would worry me because I feel like he wouldn't have any perception of where the series was going.

As the series stands right now, the first three books were amazing. If he was truly smart, I think he would have left out Dany all together and just ended it at the Red Wedding and called the story a tragedy. AFFC and ADWD has admittedly to people been the two "lulls" of the series. However I love ADWD as much as ASOS so idk.

As an author, you should know the general direction where your story is headed and where you want it to end.....once you get that you get a somewhat good idea of how many books, etc.

Well, it would mean he had likely lost control of the story and it would more than likely end up being a tangled mess.

Plus, while I'm not one of these "Write before you die!" people, if he said it could take fifteen books the chances he would live long enough to write them would be slim, with another ten books you're looking at another thirty years.

So decrease, massively.

Big IF. GRRM already said in a SSM that he has envisioned an ending, but the journey to that end is the funny part to write.

Btw I'm a recent fan, I have not waited 18 years to know the end but I understand the lose of interest of some fans.

I'm pretty sure I would lose interest. Hell, if it weren't for the show having a clear timetable and end date in sight, I would have already lost interest by now.

I agree .. even though I love the books, life sort of moves on, my reading as well.. So I really prefer the way it is now, with the sideprojects and then a smaller amount of books in the main series..

Archived