Blackfish and Jamie

Not a believer that Jeyne Stark was in Riverrun. Blackfish only had the parley to confirm the Lannisters didn't have Jeyne. Jaime brought up the idea that she was in the castle. Once brynden got confirmation Jeyne was safe, he split

The Blackfish was being completely stubborn and overly prideful during their meeting. There's nothing Jaime could have said to him that would make him see things differently.

Well considering the fact  that his beloved niece and her son and 3000 men that he fought with had just been brutally murdered by the very people who were laying siege to his family castle plus he had to stare at his nephew being hung from a scaffold for days on end not to mention the fact that his brother and other niece had just died  plus  Cat's other children were either dead or missing  so essentially every person in the world related to him was either dead , missing or in mortal danger so I can understand why he was "stubborn and overly prideful" when it came to Jaimie . Jaimie's just lucky that Blackfish did not take him up on his offer to fight him because he would have killed him pretty easily. 

Well considering the fact  that his beloved niece and her son and 3000 men that he fought with had just been brutally murdered by the very people who were laying siege to his family castle plus he had to stare at his nephew being hung from a scaffold for days on end not to mention the fact that his brother and other niece had just died  plus  Cat's other children were either dead or missing  so essentially every person in the world related to him was either dead , missing or in mortal danger so I can understand why he was "stubborn and overly prideful" when it came to Jaimie . Jaimie's just lucky that Blackfish did not take him up on his offer to fight him because he would have killed him pretty easily. 

The Blackfish rules, nuff said.

Doesn't mean Jaime wasn't offering good terms. I do understand the BF's attitude towards the meeting, but he wasn't helping anyone, and all he did was insult Jaime, who btw had nothing to do with the RW. BF was reasonably mad at the Lannisters, but being spiteful towards a man he couldn't understand in the slightest does nothing but keep relations sour.

And yes,  I'll concede that the BF could beat a guy with one hand. Give that hand back there's another dead Tully in a river.

This interaction between the BF and Jaime was actually one of my favorite parts of the book.

The dialogue makes it pretty clear that the BF had no intention of considering anything Jaime had to say.

"Are there any terms you will accept? he demanded of the Blackfish.

"From you?" Ser Brynden shrugged. "No."

"Why did you even come to treat with me?"

"A siege is deadly dull. I wanted to see this stump of yours and hear whatever excuses you cared to offer up for your latest enormities. They were feebler than I'd hoped. You always disappoint, Kingslayer."

AFfC Paperback, Page 805

I'm sure the BF would have had a nice laugh at some story about how Jaime sent the female knight who was briefly sworn to Catelyn off to rescue/protect the Stark girls with his Lannister endorsement.

This interaction between the BF and Jaime was actually one of my favorite parts of the book.

The dialogue makes it pretty clear that the BF had no intention of considering anything Jaime had to say.

"Are there any terms you will accept? he demanded of the Blackfish.

"From you?" Ser Brynden shrugged. "No."

"Why did you even come to treat with me?"

"A siege is deadly dull. I wanted to see this stump of yours and hear whatever excuses you cared to offer up for your latest enormities. They were feebler than I'd hoped. You always disappoint, Kingslayer."

AFfC Paperback, Page 805

I'm sure the BF would have had a nice laugh at some story about how Jaime sent the female knight who was briefly sworn to Catelyn off to rescue/protect the Stark girls with his Lannister endorsement.

True, even Jaime himself admits saying that he arrived in KL after Sansa was already gone, that he had no hand in the RW and sent Brienne to find Sansa wouldn't have gotten through to the Blackfish.  The Blackfish's opinion of Jaime was set. 

Doesn't mean Jaime wasn't offering good terms. I do understand the BF's attitude towards the meeting, but he wasn't helping anyone, and all he did was insult Jaime, who btw had nothing to do with the RW. BF was reasonably mad at the Lannisters, but being spiteful towards a man he couldn't understand in the slightest does nothing but keep relations sour.

Why would Blackfish believe anything Jaimie said ? Jamie had attacked Ned Stark in Kings Landing and led an army that attacked the Riverlands in the beginning of the War, laying siege to Riverrun , he tried to murder Bran and clearly had not kept his vow to Cat so what makes any reasonable person believe anything he says.

You need to separate what we as a reader and the characters in the story know about Jaimie . With the information Blackish knows there is zero chance he can trust anything Jamie says plus the fact that if he surrendered to Jaimie then Jaimie would go back to Kings Landing he would be at the mercy of the Freys and they have no mercy. 

And yes,  I'll concede that the BF could beat a guy with one hand. Give that hand back there's another dead Tully in a river.

The fact that Jaimie offered to fight him with both of them knowing full well he has zero chance only reinforces for Blackfish that Jaimie is kinda of a crazy person and basing any decision on what Jaime says is just foolish.

Archived