Barristan x Robert

Bright Ancalagon

Exactly. Demon of the Trident and all that.

The problem with that notion though is that Ned said that Robert was commanding the whole battle

It was the king's voice that put an end to it … the king's voice and twenty swords. Jon Arryn had told them that a commander needs a good battlefield voice, and Robert had proved the truth of that on the Trident. He used that voice now. "STOP THIS MADNESS," he boomed, "IN THE NAME OF YOUR KING!"

Robert couldn't have been "seeing red" if he was orchestrating the rebels' movements during the battle. He had to have been lucid at the Trident. Which also fits with how the rebels, and therefore Robert, sprung a trap on Rhaegar when Rhaegar tried to cross the Trident.

And besides, it's completely out of character that Robert would have ever fought angry

I swear to you, I was never so alive as when I was winning this throne, or so dead as now that I've won it.

He remembered Brandon's laughter, and Robert's berserk valor in the melee, the way he laughed as he unhorsed men left and right.

Robert had fun when he fought. He'd have been having the time of his life smashing Rhaegar. He's only bitter and angry now 15 years later that his life sucks as he never got Lyanna back. At the time he'd have been happy as hell.

selmy would have pawned bobby at that point.

Selmy was too injured to even leave his bed at that point. Robert would have spanked him if he had tried to kill him then. Barristan is just saying that had he been in that room he'd have done his damndest to kill Robert. Not that it would have ever realistically have happened as Barristan couldn't even have made it to the top of the Iron Throne let alone hit Robert with any meaningful blow if he'd tried to do so at that moment.

There's a huge difference between being a great swordsman and a great warrior.
Ned knew that. (Ie when he talks about steel when he met Gendry) So it speaks loud when he says Bob is the greatest. And plz, dont get me wrong. Selmy is a legend and Dayne is even better, but Bob is in a demigod tier.
I would like to say that a few people put a fight against him, it's true. But how many survived (without being pardoned?) He's a beast with a sword, FCS! Who else is that good?

PS. I love Selmy

Sorry, but the whole "he wouldn't have the balls" is absurd.

I won't even talk about his skills as a warrior (but I will mention that he unhorsed Duncan the Tall at 16... la la la ♫): Barristan is the man who entered a tourney at 10 and earned the "Bold" moniker back then because of this :dunno:

Balls? He has enough balls to make up for any one of us. (It's a saying, I do have balls. Iron balls).

Sorry, but the whole "he wouldn't have the balls" is absurd.

I won't even talk about his skills as a warrior (but I will mention that he unhorsed Duncan the Tall at 16... la la la ♫): Barristan is the man who entered a tourney at 10 and earned the "Bold" moniker back then because of this :dunno:

Balls? He has enough balls to make up for any one of us. (It's a saying, I do have balls. Iron balls).

Dunk was around 60 at the time. Barristan had no respect for his elders.

When I read the title I thought it was a shipping post lol :laugh:

But no. Barristan was one of the best swordsman (only behind Arthur).

He would have carved Robert like a cake before he knew it.

He was Arthur's equal in skill, only the advantage of Dawn made Arthur better.

This is a guy who single handily stormed Duskendale and freed the King so i'm pretty sure he has the balls.

In case you don't know the story.
"Many songs were later made about Selmy's daring infiltration. Selmy disguised as a hooded beggar climbed the walls of Duskendale in the dead of night, walking through the town streets cloaked and hooded he approached the Walls of Dunfort, scaling the walls of the castle, and slaying a sentry before the man could raise the alarm. Selmy through stealth and courage found his way to the dungeons and freed Aerys and led him to the upper levels. During the escape attempt, Barristan slew two guards and Ser Symon Hollard, avenging the death of his sworn brother, Ser Gwayne Gaunt. He and the King rushed to the Stables, Selmy slaying all those who tried to intervene as the alarm was being raised. Selmy and King Aerys mounted on stolen horses charged out the Dunfort gates before they could be barred and raced through the streets of Duskendale to the towns walls eventually escaping.[14]Selmy, took an arrow to the chest during the rescue. [15] After the defiance Ser Barristan pleaded for the life of the child Dontos Hollard as a boon, to which King Aerys acquiesced."

I know that full well.

Such acts of chivalry are very, very different to storming up the steps of the throne and slaying Robert in front of his army.

Yeah Barristan was probably still injured from the trident (as was bob but not nearly as badly.) Robert, was in the throne room and probably had more than a few men by his side. Robert was probably sitting on the throne at the time.

Was Barristan already kg? Was he pardoned immediately after the trident, because either he was in that throne room in chains, possibly about to be pardoned, or he was directly next to robert, protecting his king. It's a big difference.

He was Arthur's equal in skill, only the advantage of Dawn made Arthur better.

And Ned, having fought and trained beside Robert, and having fought and killed Arthur, declared to his sons that Robert was the peerless warrior

Yeah Barristan was probably still injured from the trident (as was bob but not nearly as badly.) Robert, was in the throne room and probably had more than a few men by his side. Robert was probably sitting on the throne at the time.

Was Barristan already kg? Was he pardoned immediately after the trident, because either he was in that throne room in chains, possibly about to be pardoned, or he was directly next to robert, protecting his king. It's a big difference.

The full quote that the OP is based on is

"Prince Rhaegar had two children," Ser Barristan told him. "Rhaenys was a little girl, Aegon a babe in arms. When Tywin Lannister took King's Landing, his men killed both of them. He served the bloody bodies up in crimson cloaks, a gift for the new king." And what did Robert say when he saw them? Did he smile? Barristan Selmy had been badly wounded on the Trident, so he had been spared the sight of Lord Tywin's gift, but oft he wondered. If I had seen him smile over the red ruins of Rhaegar's children, no army on this earth could have stopped me from killing him. "I will not suffer the murder of children. Accept that, or I'll have no part of this."

Barristan was too wounded to have even been in the throne room. Let alone fight anybody.

Archived