If Eddard Stark was NOT executed..

Thuckey

Wouldn't he have just joined with Stannis to rebel against the crown? Do you think he would have really upheld his promise to go to the Wall and just sit out the war?

His beheading was seen as a huge "folly" by the realm and Tywin etc. but do you think that leaving him alive would of been smart as well? It could have changed everything. Possibly the Lannisters would not have been in power for so long.

If Eddard lived, he'd have taken his punishment like a man, at least on the surface. This guy places honor above nearly anything. He'd have gone to the wall, rose to LC, and likely participated in the war via communication with Robb. 

I can see him rebelling, but not by joining with stannis. He didn't want to join renly. If anything, if he rebelled, he'd have returned to winterfell and took the place of Robb. However I do not think he'd have accepted the crown of KITN. 

If Joffrey had not executed Ned there are only two things I am certain of. The first is that Ned would have gone to the Wall (even if he died there or on his way there) because the Lannister's still had Sansa. I am also certain that Robb would not have been crowned king. Robb's crowning was an emotional reaction to Ned's execution and wouldn't have happened otherwise. I'm not certain what else may have changed, because there were a lot of other influences at work. It is a possibility that Joffrey may have actually secured his own crown by allowing Ned to take the black.

He dies anyway because his leg is rotting.

What was actually happening to his leg in cells? I cant remember.

I am also certain that Robb would not have been crowned king. Robb's crowning was an emotional reaction to Ned's execution and wouldn't have happened otherwise. I'm not certain what else may have changed, because there were a lot of other influences at work.

At that point Robb had Jaime and would probably side with Stannis.

Also he would have gone to the Wall for sure, king showed you mercy and it is not honourable to spit on that.

But tell me, how do you think that Alisser would wellcome Ned amd more important, how would be reunion of Ned and Janos?

He dies anyway because his leg is rotting.

Pretty much this. His leg is already infected (his thigh was hot to the touch in the black cells, and his wrappings were grey and dirty--rolling around in urine soaked hay and probably Ned's own shit as well), and it's only a matter of time until that infection moves to his vital organs (liver, heart, lungs, or kidneys) through the bloodstream, and kills him of Septic Shock. Ned dies somewhere in the Riverlands, slowing Yoren's group down even more so than muddy roads and hills already did. On the plus side Arya and Ned likely have a touching goodbye... on the other hand, in his feverish state, Ned might just give Arya's disguise away.

Wouldn't he have just joined with Stannis to rebel against the crown? Do you think he would have really upheld his promise to go to the Wall and just sit out the war?

His beheading was seen as a huge "folly" by the realm and Tywin etc. but do you think that leaving him alive would of been smart as well? It could have changed everything. Possibly the Lannisters would not have been in power for so long.

Even if he didn't get executed his horrible death in front of everyone to see by lannister hands would happen very soon after so the rest of the story could continue as written 

Archived