What DON'T you want to find out from the show?

I'd be lying if I didn't say any and everything. I want to read these things and then see them. Not the other way around. I can't imagine how a long term fan must feel knowing they might discover R+L=J from a tv show and not the books they've been reading for decades.

The wosrt part is: it's not just enough to not watch the show. You'd have to pretty much avoid the internet which is impossible. 

:agree: THIS THIS THIS.

I'm sorry (no I'm not), but I do not want the TV show to ruin the outcome for this long-term fan. I may be newish to any online forums, but this story and the hints and theories have been a fantastic debate between my best friend and I for a long time and to have it spoiled between blood-and-bewbs shots is not something I want to happen. As somewhat hinted at with me being newish to online forums, I have no problem avoiding spoilers online, one of the few temptations in life I can avoid. Even if something does get past, I will not take it to heart unless it's in the books.

That said, if the books somehow are not able to be completed, then I may go back and watch the last few seasons... maybe.

The story is as much about the journey as it is the end. You can't take a spoon and a fork, mash them together and get knife and say that's good because draws blood. No. You take a spoon and a fork, mash them together and get the greatest creation of all times= a Spork!

The fact that I will be finding out about the events at the Tower of Joy as well as Jon's parentage from the show rather than the books is certainly odd. I am still working through my feelings about that. This applies to all mysteries for which I have spent more than a decade waiting for answers from Martin only to find out I will be receiving them from a different source (and a different medium). In some ways though, I find myself more troubled about the material that is being excluded from the show rather than being "spoiled." I feel that the act of excluding whole plotlines from the television adaption, thereby signaling their relative unimportance, end up having a much more damaging impact on my enjoyment of the future books rather than the material that has been adapted.

I thought the show surpassing the books would bother me but it really doesn't. I don't even know what could really spoil me, R+L=J? It's kind of a given for me so not sure how I am spoiled by that. I know we won't really get all the details and depth from the show so I still look forward to the actual story in the books and will still enjoy the shows unique interpretation on it's own merits. I don't even know what will be factual from Winds and what will be artistic license taken by the show, like Stannis and Selmy. Either way I figure I will be lucky enough to enjoy both just as long as neither start jumping the sharks, and perhaps less Sand Snakes, please. You know why there are know sharks in Dorne on the show? They jumped over them and went right on past them.

In an ideal world, I wouldn't want anything spoiled by the show. But alas!

I'd make the point that it's not going to be all that bad. Hardhome's Skeleton Happy Hour "spoiled" the Dragonsteel = Valyrian Steel piece of knowledge, but wasn't it kind of obvious? Real, solid spoilers will be the fates of the main characters (with secondary or tertiary characters anything can "make sense creatively" for Dumb & Dumber), and those probably won't come to pass until the 7th or 8th season, by the time of which I wasn't expecting ADOS to be published, anyway.

I'd make the point that it's not going to be all that bad. Hardhome's Skeleton Happy Hour "spoiled" the Dragonsteel = Valyrian Steel piece of knowledge, but wasn't it kind of obvious? 

That's pretty much spelled out in the books, I wasn't even aware this was considered a theory.

That's pretty much spelled out in the books, I wasn't even aware this was considered a theory.

Yep, there are theories that are so solid as to be taken as factual already, but this bit goes beyond that.

For what it's worth, I had AGOT, ACOK and the better part of ASOS spoiled by the show, and I liked the series pretty well. Similar experiences abound.

Archived