Whom would you most like to smack for sheer stupidity

LadyoftheNorth72

5 hours ago, LadyoftheNorth72 said:

My intent in the thread title was for "moments of sheer stupidity," apologies for not clarifying. 

And I do want to absolutely qualify that my adding Jeyne was NOT meant to bring up impending rape or any other sensitive/forbidden subject. I meant simply that I'd rather take the risk of dying then and there (or, maybe possibly in my wildest dreams have the northmen protect me until at least this mess could be sorted out); or living out life as Mrs. Arya Bolton. 

Fair enough on the moments part. It still kind of rubs me the wrong way you define that as a moment of stupidity on her part. To be certain her rape and torture played a part in cowing her into accepting the marriage. She was whipped and stated she was "trained" when Ramsay took her to bed. If she gave away the plot it seemed clear something bad WOULD happen. I can't see any circumstance that Boltons would let the northern bannermen get her if she gave them away, and Ramsay and Roose's retribution would be long and agonizing. Whereas something bad just may happen if she does as she's told. The difference between bad and worse is always larger than that between good and bad. Theon's POV chapters testify that much. I really can't fault her in this situation. Before the wedding she begged Theon to help her. After her marriage and rape, she still did take his help. She wanted to live. It's easy to say you'd rather die than do this. But that's almost always spoken by someone who's never seen such a situation. I should think the instinct to stay alive at all costs prevails more often than not. It's a rather base instinct. Life is full of possibilities, death is final.

17 hours ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

Ok but here's the thing and it deals with Sullen's point too, Stannis by the SE siege had been getting the letters out that Joff is an incest bastard and he is Robert's heir so if Renly kills Stannis in the siege and takes the IT that is going to make a bit of an ugly situation as Renly will have both been a usurper and kinslayer. Would Ned's mini-me (Robb) and his friends the Tully's really be comfortable being this guy's wardens? So with Stannis everything would be clean and by the book an killing in via poison (doesn't have to look like a poisoning btw) it could give Renly a cleaner slate to rule with

Renly is literally pulling a Blackfyre tactic in what he was doing 

Archived