Who do you think are the three heads of the dragon?

What's up hedge knights and tavern wenches. 

Was just interested in who people thought the three heads of the Dragon are? 

In my opinion it's Daenerys, Jon and Tyrion. Drogon for Daenerys, Rhaegal for Jon and Viserion for Tyrion. I also think there'll be a fourth Dragon and it'll be an ice dragon warged by Bran. 

But I know people think that it could be Bran, Victarion, Jaime, Euron, Jorah, Daario. 

I just want to know peoples opinions and why they think it. 

22 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I don't believe that the 3headed dragon prophecy has something to do with the dragonrider(s) of Dany's dragon(s). I believe that Jon is the 3headed dragon.

I think that when the prophecy says "the Dragon has three heads" it refers to three people. I don't think Jon could be a three headed Dragon

3 minutes ago, ThePrinceThatKnewNothing said:

I think that when the prophecy says "the Dragon has three heads" it refers to three people. I don't think Jon could be a three headed Dragon

Ok and I disagree and I think that it's obvious that it means one person, as the thread I have linked explains.

6 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Ok and I disagree and I think that it's obvious that it means one person, as the thread I have linked explains.

Okay that is actually a really good theory, I have never thought of it like that. But don't you think that makes the whole story about Jon? 

But if you say that about Jon couldn't you say that about Daenerys? Depending on if R+L=J&D. Princess in Westeros, Khaleesi of the grass sea, Queen of Meereen. 

I do like your theory but I still think it's three people. Rhaegar said "there must be one more" implying that there must be another head of the Dragon

3 minutes ago, ThePrinceThatKnewNothing said:

Okay that is actually a really good theory, I have never thought of it like that. But don't you think that makes the whole story about Jon? 

~No. The theory doesn’t imply that Jon singlehandedly will win. It only means that Jon will be the Leader.

But if you say that about Jon couldn't you say that about Daenerys? Depending on if R+L=J&D. Princess in Westeros, Khaleesi of the grass sea, Queen of Meereen. 

~Do you seriously believe R+L=J&D with twins being born almost 9 months apart?

I do like your theory but I still think it's three people. Rhaegar said "there must be one more" implying that there must be another head of the Dragon

~Rhaegar also said that Aegon is the PtwP and Aegon died. Because Rhaegar thought something it doesn’t mean that he was right.

4 minutes ago, ThePrinceThatKnewNothing said:

I'm not saying that R+L = J&D. But GRRM has said that his time lines are not bang on.  Which leaves that theory open. And who said Dany and Jon were born 9 months apart? Dany doesn't even know where she was brought up. 

True however GRRM has clearly said that Dany was born almost 9 months after Jon and after the Sack.

We know from this e-mail that Jon’s birth is 8-9 months prior to Daenerys’s, and that Daenerys is born almost precisely 9 months after the death of Rhaegar and the Sack of King’s Landing (I: 25). This would place Jon’s birth within one month, give or take, of the Sack.  http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/FAQ/Entry/Who_are_Jon_Snows_parents/

14 minutes ago, ThePrinceThatKnewNothing said:

Okay fair enough, I was not aware that GRRM had come out and said this. I'm surprised that so many people still believe they are twins then. 

Actually at least around here there are not many people who believe that. Only some people who what to be the cool kinds butr cannot actually back their theory with textual proofs.

1 hour ago, ThePrinceThatKnewNothing said:

What's up hedge knights and tavern wenches.

And Landed Ladies, ser!  Welcome to the forums!  :cheers:

1 hour ago, ThePrinceThatKnewNothing said:

Was just interested in who people thought the three heads of the Dragon are?

A common topic, and not one that many people agree on.  Many people do think Daenerys (well obviously - she is one now) and Jon will be one, including perhaps Tyrion.  I have a few ideas of who might be riders, Tyrion might be involved in some cases, but ultimately I don't think he becomes a rider.  I recently summarized my theories in a different thread:

She climbed the pyre herself to place the eggs around her sun-and-stars. The black beside his heart, under his arm. The green beside his head, his braid coiled around it. The cream-and-gold down between his legs. When she kissed him for the last time, Dany could taste the sweetness of the oil on his lips.  AGoT, Danaerys X

The placement of the dragon eggs on Drogo's pyre is important.  Drogon's egg is placed near Drogo's heart.  Daenerys appropriately bonded with Drogon, the dragon near his heart.  Rhaegal is placed at the top.  Viserion is placed at the bottom.  Among a few theories, I think Aegon will bond Rhaegal, Aegon being the older brother of two like Rhaegar, Rhaegal's namesake; and I think Jon will bond with Viserion, Jon being the younger brother of two like Viserys, Viserion's namesake.

I also believe that Viserion will ultimately have three riders, or at least three significant attempted riders.  If the former, Viserion has yet to have one; if the latter, Quentyn Martell was the first attempt.  Viserion, unlike any other the other dragons, has three horns.  In the Bible, dragons are mentioned in the apocalypse, their number of horns representing people (rulers of the kingdoms that the dragons each respectively allude to).  Therefore, I believe three horns represent three people.  There is also foreshadowing of this in The Hedge Knight.

One man-at-arms was dangling the puppets of Florian and Jonquil from his hands as another set them afire with a torch. Three more men were opening chests, spilling more puppets on the ground and stamping on them. The dragon puppet was scattered all about them, a broken wing here, its head there, its tail in three pieces. And in the midst of it all stood Prince Aerion, resplendent in a red velvet doublet with long dagged sleeves, twisting Tanselle's arm in both hands.  The Hedge Knight

Note how the pieces of the puppet dragon parallel the placement of all of the dragon eggs on Drogo's pyre.  Drogon under Drogo's arm (wing), Rhaegal next to his head, and Viserion between his legs (tail).  The tail is in three pieces.  It's also worth noting that Aerion being "in the midst of it all" is quite reminiscent of Tyrion "snarling in the midst of all" in Moqorro's vision.  However, I'm not sure how they tie in together (yet), other than the similar wording.

In addition to my theory that Aegon will ride Rhaegal and Jon will ride Viserion, I have a few other ideas who might be potential riders. 

1.) The "youngest brothers" ride Viserion.  Only the third will succeed.  Victarion will ride for a time, to only be killed by Rhaegal.  Tyrion will attempt to ride or will ride via Brown Ben Plumm, only to be killed or blocked again by Rhaegal.  However, once Aegon rides Rhaegal, his brother will succeed: Jon.  This also parallels the forging of Lightbringer: first was tempered in water (Kraken/Greyjoy), second was in a lion (Lannister), third was the success. 

2.) Viserion's riders (or attempts) will parallel the forging of Lightbringer in some other way.  Lately, I've been considering a possible reversal of the LB prophecy: Quentyn - prince of Dorne, the sun's son - failed.  Tyrion - the lion - will attempt to ride and fail.  Aurane Waters (or some other "water" parallel?) will succeed. 

3.) Viserion's riders will parallel something else/be represented some other way.  The "not necessarily a Targaryen" candidates:

A. Cadet branches of Targaryen: First attempt was a Martell.  Second and third attempt (third attempt being successful) will stem from another branch in some form as well: Aurane Waters (or some other Velaryon) and Brienne of Tarth come to mind.  (I see  House Velaryon coming back into the political picture, so to speak, as they were in the Dance of the Dragons.  Therefore, I think Aurane Waters will play an important role in Winds, perhaps even become a dragonrider (for a time) himself.  Per AWoIaF, House Targaryen recently married into House Tarth, and during Quentyn's attempt at taming, Viserion was drawn most of all to the only woman in the room.)

B. Bastard descendants of Targaryen will ride for a time: Brown Ben Plumm, Sand Snakes, Tyrion (if theories are correct), Aurane Waters (a bastard from House Velaryon), and Jon Snow come to mind.

59 minutes ago, ThePrinceThatKnewNothing said:

Why do you think Arya? I think she's destined to be one with Nymeria 

There is a lot of building blocks for romantic links between Jon - Arya and Jon - Dany.  Since it doesn't seem like a one or the other choice is in the offering the intent is probably to set up a polygamous relationship equivalent to Aegon and his sisters.  (Which also took considerable effort to build up).  There is also a ton a Norse Mythology in the series and the counterpart for these three in Norse Mythology are Loki's 3 children Ferrir, Jormungand and Hel. ( in particular the Arya/Hel thing is hit hard and often.)

It's a little more of a throw away but there are also a couple references so the three headed god Trios.  The three heads have their own function, the first devours the dying and represents death which fits with Arya.  The reborn emerge from the third which would represent Dany ("mother").  It isn't described what the middle head (Jon?) does.

It would also create a symmetry between Arya (Stark - ice) Dany (Targaryan - fire) and Jon a mix of the two tying them together.

There is also a trend in Arya's names being ever larger animals Squab > Weasel > Cat, the largest and most powerful of all would end in a dragon.

It would seem likely the fianl rider is one of the "big 5" and it's easier to see how Tyrion & Bran's ability could impact the final conflict with the others than it is to see how Arya's (still very formidable) abilities would. 

Overall it just seems there is too much invested in tying these tree together and there also happen to be tree dragons and two of them are already highly likely to be the first two dragon riders and heads of the dragon, it seems unlikely to me that the third would be anyone else. 

I don't believe there will be other dragon riders.

Why can't the 3 heads of the dragon be Dany's 3 dragons; Drogon, Viserion, Rhaegal? I rarely see that as a point of discussion anywhere.

I know it's not as exciting as the thought of seeing Jon, Tyrion, Bran, Euron (if there were those are my top guesses of who they would be) riding a dragon but there are only 2 books left and soooo many storylines to wrap up. I don't believe it's likely to add 2 more dragon riders to the story or to make that part of already very complex storylines of each of those characters...

41 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

And Landed Ladies, ser!  Welcome to the forums!  :cheers:

A common topic, and not one that many people agree on.  Many people do think Daenerys (well obviously - she is one now) and Jon will be one, including perhaps Tyrion.  I have a few ideas of who might be riders, Tyrion might be involved in some cases, but ultimately I don't think he becomes a rider.  I recently summarized my theories in a different thread:

She climbed the pyre herself to place the eggs around her sun-and-stars. The black beside his heart, under his arm. The green beside his head, his braid coiled around it. The cream-and-gold down between his legs. When she kissed him for the last time, Dany could taste the sweetness of the oil on his lips.  AGoT, Danaerys X

The placement of the dragon eggs on Drogo's pyre is important.  Drogon's egg is placed near Drogo's heart.  Daenerys appropriately bonded with Drogon, the dragon near his heart.  Rhaegal is placed at the top.  Viserion is placed at the bottom.  Among a few theories, I think Aegon will bond Rhaegal, Aegon being the older brother of two like Rhaegar, Rhaegal's namesake; and I think Jon will bond with Viserion, Jon being the younger brother of two like Viserys, Viserion's namesake.

I also believe that Viserion will ultimately have three riders, or at least three significant attempted riders.  If the former, Viserion has yet to have one; if the latter, Quentyn Martell was the first attempt.  Viserion, unlike any other the other dragons, has three horns.  In the Bible, dragons are mentioned in the apocalypse, their number of horns representing people (rulers of the kingdoms that the dragons each respectively allude to).  Therefore, I believe three horns represent three people.  There is also foreshadowing of this in The Hedge Knight.

One man-at-arms was dangling the puppets of Florian and Jonquil from his hands as another set them afire with a torch. Three more men were opening chests, spilling more puppets on the ground and stamping on them. The dragon puppet was scattered all about them, a broken wing here, its head there, its tail in three pieces. And in the midst of it all stood Prince Aerion, resplendent in a red velvet doublet with long dagged sleeves, twisting Tanselle's arm in both hands.  The Hedge Knight

Note how the pieces of the puppet dragon parallel the placement of all of the dragon eggs on Drogo's pyre.  Drogon under Drogo's arm (wing), Rhaegal next to his head, and Viserion between his legs (tail).  The tail is in three pieces.  It's also worth noting that Aerion being "in the midst of it all" is quite reminiscent of Tyrion "snarling in the midst of all" in Moqorro's vision.  However, I'm not sure how they tie in together (yet), other than the similar wording.

In addition to my theory that Aegon will ride Rhaegal and Jon will ride Viserion, I have a few other ideas who might be potential riders. 

1.) The "youngest brothers" ride Viserion.  Only the third will succeed.  Victarion will ride for a time, to only be killed by Rhaegal.  Tyrion will attempt to ride or will ride via Brown Ben Plumm, only to be killed or blocked again by Rhaegal.  However, once Aegon rides Rhaegal, his brother will succeed: Jon.  This also parallels the forging of Lightbringer: first was tempered in water (Kraken/Greyjoy), second was in a lion (Lannister), third was the success. 

2.) Viserion's riders (or attempts) will parallel the forging of Lightbringer in some other way.  Lately, I've been considering a possible reversal of the LB prophecy: Quentyn - prince of Dorne, the sun's son - failed.  Tyrion - the lion - will attempt to ride and fail.  Aurane Waters (or some other "water" parallel?) will succeed. 

3.) Viserion's riders will parallel something else/be represented some other way.  The "not necessarily a Targaryen" candidates:

A. Cadet branches of Targaryen: First attempt was a Martell.  Second and third attempt (third attempt being successful) will stem from another branch in some form as well: Aurane Waters (or some other Velaryon) and Brienne of Tarth come to mind.  (I see  House Velaryon coming back into the political picture, so to speak, as they were in the Dance of the Dragons.  Therefore, I think Aurane Waters will play an important role in Winds, perhaps even become a dragonrider (for a time) himself.  Per AWoIaF, House Targaryen recently married into House Tarth, and during Quentyn's attempt at taming, Viserion was drawn most of all to the only woman in the room.)

B. Bastard descendants of Targaryen will ride for a time: Brown Ben Plumm, Sand Snakes, Tyrion (if theories are correct), Aurane Waters (a bastard from House Velaryon), and Jon Snow come to mind.

You make a really good point here. 

But what I wonder is, are we over thinking? People like Aurane Waters aren't relevant to the end game. I just think that sometimes things are a bit more simple than we think. I don't think we'll have numerous Dragon riders as in more than the original three, I just dont think there's enough time. I like your reference to Drogo's funeral pyre and the puppet show in the hedge knight. 

I just think that Victarion will try and ride Viserion, but he's going to get burnt. I also think Viserion is going to get seriously injured in the battle of Meereen and Tyrion will tend to him and this is how their connection will be forged.  

I don't think Aegon is Aegon though. I'm a believer in the whole FAegon theory.

To be honest I started this thread just to see everyone's opinions. I need something ASOIAF related to keep me going till TWoW

I believe most of all that Aurane Waters will be either one of the the first two riders (i.e. not long, possibly killed by Rhaegal), or the second attempt.  I might be wrong and GRRM throws us a dragonrider out of left field.  He is a Velaryon bastard after all, and Velaryons were dragonriders for a time.

9 minutes ago, Jo Maltese said:

A Dance with Dragons: Dany, Tyrion and Jon, it is known. And check my signature for Tyrion / Viserion.

Yes, that's the title of the book, but the ONLY dragon rider in that book is Dany and that's towards the very end.

There were characters seeking dragons for themselves like, Victarion, Euron, and Quentyn but Quentyn failed miserably and it's doubtful Victarion will survive much longer. Euron will be a force to be reckoned with but I think it's doubtful he will ride a dragon...

4 minutes ago, Rachel of Oldstones said:

Yes, that's the title of the book, but the ONLY dragon rider in that book is Dany and that's towards the very end.

There were characters seeking dragons for themselves like, Victarion, Euron, and Quentyn but Quentyn failed miserably and it's doubtful Victarion will survive much longer. Euron will be a force to be reckoned with but I think it's doubtful he will ride a dragon...

Quentyn might failed at taking a dragon but his storyline wasn't without a reason. His death made sure that Dany has lost the Dorne and their support.

Archived