[Spoilers] Criticize Without Repercussion

teemo

3 minutes ago, ummester said:

umm, GRRM agreed they should do it after their meeting.

Sarcasm.  I can't believe these guys figured out

R+L=J

on their own.  No way in the seven hells.  They haven't shown anything beyond the highest level surface reading of the books through their writing or comments.

36 minutes ago, hedgeknight001 said:

But that's kinda the point, isn't it? That in this merciless world a young girl on her own is just gong to have to take it. She isn't going to be punching anyone. Without her bodyguards, without her army, without her dragons, she is the just a random young girl on her own, the Queen of Nothing.

Yeah, but after being sold off by her brother she managed to acquire bodyguards, armies, and dragons. Jesus, if you strip everything off anybody they are on their own, if you took Tywins money and army off him he could wind up in flea Bottom as a male prostitute!

2 minutes ago, Neds Secret said:

Yeah, but after being sold off by her brother she managed to acquire bodyguards, armies, and dragons. Jesus, if you strip everything off anybody they are on their own, if you took Tywins money and army off him he could wind up in flea Bottom as a male prostitute!

Or a stripper. 

12 minutes ago, Red Helm said:

Swindling Martin with a convincing show when they met to discuss the prospects of a show and willing to submit to HBO'S every whim (they would never give HBO trouble like, say, Chase). I have another suggestion, but that would galvanize the majority of the thread commenters against me.

So???

5 minutes ago, Grizzly Mormont said:

Sansa doesn't know the words to that Knight's pledge because she's from the North, and Northerners don't have Knights. 

How could you book readers not know that???

Sansa was obsessed with southron culture and rituals prior to and at the start of A Game of Thrones.

She lived in the south for little over a year as well (or several in the show).

She is the daughter of a great, powerful lord and a southron mother. A southron mother that retained her religion and customs too, I must add

Her being unable to recite that simple oath off the top of her head is rather suspect.

5 minutes ago, Grizzly Mormont said:

Sansa doesn't know the words to that Knight's pledge because she's from the North, and Northerners don't have Knights. 

How could you book readers not know that???

Outisde of the dornish nonsense, and tyrions shitty exposition dialogue, this episode was good. 

Good, compared to catching crabs or somesuch?

I actually feel really sorry for Gendry, imagine losing your virginity to that???? And being busted in the middle of it by your uncle, who you only just met, who wants to burn you alive, it's the shows Baratheon curse right there!

1 minute ago, Red Helm said:

Sansa was obsessed with southron culture and rituals prior to and at the start of A Game of Thrones.

She lived in the south for little of a year as well (or several in the show).

She is the daughter of a great, powerful lord and a southron mother. A southron mother that retained her religion and customs too, I must add

Her being unable to recite that simple oath off the top of her head is rather suspect.

It's perfectly reasonable for her not to know an oath like that despite her love of gallantry. She never witnessed anybody say it in her one year in the south, and she wasn't exposed to it at home in the north. Her mom obviously knew it, but why would she teach it to her northern children.  Mayyyybe it was in her florian jonquil type books but that doesn't mean she would have that shit memorized beyond the first line. 

2 minutes ago, Neds Secret said:

I actually feel really sorry for Gendry, imagine losing your virginity to that????

Why do you think he keeps rowing for years without end? He somehow figured it out and is trying to lose the memory if it. 

1 minute ago, Neds Secret said:

I actually feel really sorry for Gendry, imagine losing your virginity to that????

Well, if I remember correctly, she only baited him with tits, they never did the deed. What I'm really interested in is that if that was a real old woman or cgi, or something else. Because if it's a real woman, boy she is brave to show off that smokin body on TV.

For those people arguing that small stuff might be explainable, this is not the thread for it.  Start a thread elsewhere please.  And after shoveling the dirt from 1000 molehills. That 1001st hurts a lot, no matter that it is just a little molehill.  Most of us are way past our goodwill-suspension of disbelief/swipe it under the rug threshold.

1 minute ago, Grizzly Mormont said:

It's perfectly reasonable for her not to know an oath like that despite her love of gallantry. She never witnessed anybody say it in her one year in the south, and she wasn't exposed to it at home in the north. Her mom obviously knew it, but why would she teach it to her northern children.  Mayyyybe it was in her florian jonquil type books but that doesn't mean she would have that shit memorized beyond the first line. 

The point being that there is enough circumstantial evidence to warrant such an expectation and that it is not of an unrealistic nature.

1 minute ago, hedgeknight001 said:

Also, I suspect that some commenters, whether book readers or not, apparently didn't like the fact that Sansa forgot the lines and turned specifically to a male to be prompted, which is a huge offense to the "empowerment" agenda that is, for some reason, important.

The male in question is also Ironborn, correct? That further highlights the silly nature of that scene.

(if the male in question is Pod, then correct me).

4 minutes ago, The Boastful Knight said:

Well, if I remember correctly, she only baited him with tits, they never did the deed. What I'm really interested in is that if that was a real old woman or cgi, or something else. Because if it's a real woman, boy she is brave to show off that smokin body on TV.

Gendry did the deed, no doubt whatsoever, then he got leeched for it, nice Stannis foreshadowing actually!

6 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

For those people arguing that small stuff might be explainable, this is not the thread for it.  Start a thread elsewhere please.  And after shoveling the dirt from 1000 molehills. That 1001st hurts a lot, no matter that it is just a little molehill.  Most of us our way past our goodwill-suspension of disbelief/swipe it under the rug threshold.

They just keep backing up don't they, I've never seen such blind devotion in a droid before!!

1 minute ago, hedgeknight001 said:

Some of the book readers would insist that Sansa was so dreamily absorbed with southern court formalities that she would have memorized the lines anyway. So even though it would be highly unlikely that a northern noble would know the lines, Sansa herself would have.

Also, I suspect that some commenters, whether book readers or not, apparently didn't like the fact that Sansa forgot the lines and turned specifically to a male to be prompted, which is a huge offense to the "empowerment" agenda that is, for some reason, important.

We're going books here, but Catelyn used the words she had heard NED (not her southron father).  So the point is that Sansa, who is specifically supposed to be skilled with courtesies/formalities, can't remember it.  Because she is dumb-as-a-sack-of-rocks in the show.

33 minutes ago, Red Helm said:

Swindling Martin with a convincing show when they met to discuss the prospects of a show and willing to submit to HBO'S every whim (they would never give HBO trouble like, say, Chase). I have another suggestion, but that would galvanize the majority of the thread commenters against me.

Because you mentioned it, I recently read an interview with David Chase where he said that HBO has gotten a lot more difficult to be creative and independent on as a showrunner.  He said during his entire span of The Sopranos he got into about 5 arguments with HBO.  He says now it's extremely common for there be clashes.  D&D seem like the type of tools that don't give a shit about their material as long as they're making money, so I'm sure they're happy as hell to fulfill HBO's nudity quota and whatever the fuck other stupid shit they want.  I fucking hate them.

3 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

We're going books here, but Catelyn used the words she had heard NED (not her southron father).  So the point is that Sansa, who is specifically supposed to be skilled with courtesies/formalities, can't remember it.  Because she is dumb-as-a-sack-of-rocks in the show.

Thank god for pod!!

7 minutes ago, hedgeknight001 said:

Some of the book readers would insist that Sansa was so dreamily absorbed with southern court formalities that she would have memorized the lines anyway. So even though it would be highly unlikely that a northern noble would know the lines, Sansa herself would have.

Well, I am no feminist but Sansa waiting for Theon's approval so she can accept Brienne's pledge actually offended me. D&D verbally announce that Sansa is developing her independence and yet they write her without a single drop of agency, initiative or even spirit.

Archived