MMA & Boxing 18: "I'm The World Champion!"

Davrum

7 hours ago, GSP said:

"Ronda is done"

Can we stop declaring these fighters' careers over every time they lose around here? It may actually be true with Ronda but that is entirely up to her and there is no reason she couldn't keep fighting and even working her way back to a run at the belt. 

I'm no Ronda fan boy, but to listen to the internet, after she hit a two fight rough patch, all of a sudden Ronda isn't even a mixed martial artist and she should never have even bothered herself with this sport or some shit.

She has holes in her game: they all do. She's beatable: they all are. So what?

Considering she contemplated suicide after her loss to Holm, and after the beating she took last night, it's not really a stretch to say she is finished. As talented as she is, her psyche is shot. and that's the one thing a fighter cannot afford to lose.

11 hours ago, GSP said:

"Pettis is done"

"Ronda is done"

Can we stop declaring these fighters' careers over every time they lose around here? It may actually be true with Ronda but that is entirely up to her and there is no reason she couldn't keep fighting and even working her way back to a run at the belt. 

I'm no Ronda fan boy, but to listen to the internet, after she hit a two fight rough patch, all of a sudden Ronda isn't even a mixed martial artist and she should never have even bothered herself with this sport or some shit.

She has holes in her game: they all do. She's beatable: they all are. So what?

Right, and Ronda isn't in the same position as a lot of fighters. 

She herself was putting a time limit on her fight career, and around the time of her first loss she had all sorts of other things going on. It's not a surprise that people read into that. She has a lot of money, she can do other things and she clearly seemed to want to, given her film roles. 

When I say Pettis is done (more likely I say he's in trouble), I mean it in a completely different way. I think he's just fallen far from the belt more than he doesn't want to fight. He's legit not Top 5 right now (Alvarez,RDA, Barboza outright beat him, and Khabib and Ferguson are probably ahead of him) and that's a steep fall for someone like him in a shark tank of a division. It's fucking bad, and I'm not optimistic.

That's very different from someone like Ronda who's outright talked about going away, as opposed to being on a downward trajectory and not leaving.

When Pettis lost he didn't refuse to deal with MMA media since, he didn't say he was on his way out in his next fight. 

But yes, if she wanted to come back and hang around WBW and fight, she absolutely could (though for a $3 million purse it's a bit steep for non-title fights).Maybe one day she could get the belt back. But the ambivalence around Ronda and MMA comes from (or is abetted by) Ronda. You can't complain when you're literally telling people "I'm going to be gone soon"

RDA lost twice, do you hear retirement talk?

I think most people mean by Ronda is "done" they mean the Ronda of a couple of years ago that was all over media and becoming a household name. That Ronda is done.  

As far as retirement from fighting. Who knows, her mom just said yesterday she wants her to retire. She could probably just coast off her current money for the rest of her life if she's smart with her cash.

Most of those other business/entertainment offers came with the condition that she kicked everybodys ass in the ring. I'm sure most of that started to dry up after losing to Holly, this loss certainly does more damage to her media appeal.

I was hoping Garbrandt would follow up on the previous very encouraging fights I've seen from him.

I already thought Cruz vs Dillashaw earlier was very close and could have gone to Dillashaw.

This was excellent.

Felt bad for Rousey. She really got hammered there and even if it's by another woman, I just don't take any entertainment from seeing a woman get punched.

Archived