The "Truth" About Dany

wordpuncher

16 hours ago, tugela said:

Born of the line of Aerys and Rhaella does not necessarily mean them, it could equally well mean their children, in other words it could be Rhaegar's child the prophecy referred to. The woods witch in question is the Ghost of High Heart. Rhaegar apparently consulted her as well.

Melisandra said "When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt.", and she was using that as her rationale for thinking that Stannis was Azor Ahai. But, that could also be read as follows: (1) "red" = red mountains of Dorne (where the Daynes come from); (2) "star bleeds" = Arthur (whose family is famously about stars) dieing (hence "bleeds"); (3) "darkness gathers" = it was the evening; (4) "smoke" = the tower of joying burning; (5) "salt" = tears (for Lyanna's imminent death during childbirth)

So you could read the prophecy as referring to the events at the Tower of Joy. And if that is the case, then it cannot refer to Dany if she really was the child of Aerys and Rhaella.

Born of the line of Aerys and Rhaella refers to their descendants, period.  It makes perfect sense for Dany and whether you want to argue she is Rhaegar's daughter rather than Aerys's is up to you.  My point was that Rhaegar could have misunderstood the prophecy as referring to him and / or his descendants but he could be as wrong as Mel here.  Also TPTWP is likely a myth imo and we shouldn't worry too much about which individual is going to be the special one because it's going to be a bunch of the main povs working together or perhaps independently but towards the same goal.

I know what Mel said and she just has one version of things which in isloation or with those other versions you can interpret in whatever way you want.  Personally I am going for the red star being the comet we saw at the end of AGOT / begining of ACOK rather than the blue star of Ser Patrek of the Mountain turning red with his blood or the white of Arthur Dayne's KG robes being refererd to as red on account of his place of birth (really?).  Each to his or her own though.

14 hours ago, Scorpion92 said:

In my opinion, "prince that was promised" will be someone whose birth will coincide with the coming of the Dawn. That is why I think it will be Jon and Dany's kid, who they will name Eddard Stark, because I see Jon and Dany as both destructive forces of "ice" and "fire" respectively, while heritage wise they are both these elements (R+L=J, and Ned+Ashara=Dany as I stated earlier in this thread). That is why Dany is told to drink from both cups of ice and fire in the House of the Undying, she needs to know her true parentage.

So you expect a child born to Daenerys of Jon Snow to win the War for the Dawn? 

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

So you expect a child born to Daenerys of Jon Snow to win the War for the Dawn? 

No, I expect Jon and Dany's child to BRING the Dawn.

Jon will win the battle against Dany and then march on King's Landing to bring second Hour of the Wolf to the capital (foreshadowed in TWOIAF by Cregan Stark). But Cersei, another head of the dragon, will activate wildfire plot and kill a lot of people, including the last surviving dragon - Drogon - in the process.

But neither Jon nor Dany will live to the end of the story, storywise they will not be needed anymore after uniting the North and the South into singular realm, it will be up to Tyrion (as Hand/Chancellor/Prime Minister) and Sansa (as Queen Regent) to rule new Westeros post Long Night in the name of new "prince that was promised", Ned Stark. That is why it will be bittersweet ending according to GRRM, main characters like Jon, Dany, Jaime, Cersei, etc. will not survive these books, but peace, "spring", "dawn" will come after all to war torn Westeros.

15 hours ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

"He is a man of the Night's Watch, she thought, as he sang about some stupid lady throwing herself off some stupid tower because her stupid prince was dead. The lady should go kill the ones who killed her prince. And the singer should be on the Wall."

Ashara wasn't a princess...

But still, reminiscent if nothing else

No, but she was a lady, and she supposedly threw herself from a tower, and there was only one prince who was dead. The song doesn't say she is a princess, just that she had a prince. The bard who sang that was from Dorne IIRC, so he would have been singing local songs. The only person in the story that matches that is Ashara.

3 hours ago, the trees have eyes said:

Born of the line of Aerys and Rhaella refers to their descendants, period.  It makes perfect sense for Dany and whether you want to argue she is Rhaegar's daughter rather than Aerys's is up to you.  My point was that Rhaegar could have misunderstood the prophecy as referring to him and / or his descendants but he could be as wrong as Mel here.  Also TPTWP is likely a myth imo and we shouldn't worry too much about which individual is going to be the special one because it's going to be a bunch of the main povs working together or perhaps independently but towards the same goal.

I know what Mel said and she just has one version of things which in isloation or with those other versions you can interpret in whatever way you want.  Personally I am going for the red star being the comet we saw at the end of AGOT / begining of ACOK rather than the blue star of Ser Patrek of the Mountain turning red with his blood or the white of Arthur Dayne's KG robes being refererd to as red on account of his place of birth (really?).  Each to his or her own though.

Umm....Rhaegar was Aerys and Rhaella's son. His children would be their descendants as well, unless you think he was adopted?

3 hours ago, the trees have eyes said:

Melisandra was stating the belief of her religion, not her personal visions. Other people refer to that prophecy as well. So that IS the prophecy for Azor Ahai. Where she goes off the rails is the bit about her interpretation of what it means and her belief that it refers to Stannis.

IMO the prophecy is meant to be figurative rather than literal. So when it talks about a star, it is not a real star but a person. The same thing applies to the sword of light. Melisandra/Stannis (and others) think it is a physical sword, but I think it is a figurative sword. In other words a person. "Lightbringer" is, IMO, Daenerys, while Azor Ahai is Jon.

In the story of the original Azor Ahai he spends a lot of time making his sword, there are three attempts. The first is tempered by plunging it into water and it shatters. The second is tempered when AA captures a white lion and plunges the sword into it to slay it, but it shatters. Then on the third attempt he plunges the sword into the bosom of his wife, and her soul is fused into the blade. That is Lightbringer. IMO this mimics what is going on in Westeros. The first shattered sword likely represents the attempts to unite the North against the WW threat, which doesn't really work. The second shattered sword likely represents unification of forces to overthrow of Lannister power in the south, which again probably doesn't really work, and the third represents the final unification of forces with Daenerys, and it is her soul that is "fused" so that she becomes figuratively Lightbringer. The sword itself is a metaphor for the unification of the living to fight the great war with the white walkers. It finally comes about when alliance is made with Daenerys.

There is precedent for that sort of figurative speech in the world of Westeros. For example, the Dayne who carries Dawn is called the Sword of the Morning. It is not a physical sword, but a person.

Melisandra's failure is in thinking (like many others) that the prophecy is literal. As a result she misinterprets things when the real prophecy is unfolding around her and she misses it.

1 hour ago, tugela said:

No, but she was a lady, and she supposedly threw herself from a tower, and there was only one prince who was dead. The song doesn't say she is a princess, just that she had a prince. The bard who sang that was from Dorne IIRC, so he would have been singing local songs. The only person in the story that matches that is Ashara.

Ya I'm a clown sometimes, it totally fits... If Ashara loved a prince. But what about:

"So the son slew the father instead," said Jon.
"Aye," she said, "but the gods hate kinslayers, even when they kill unknowing. When Lord Stark returned from the battle and his mother saw Bael's head upon his spear, she threw herself from a tower in her grief. Her son did not long outlive her. One o' his lords peeled the skin off him and wore him for a cloak." 
"Your Bael was a liar," he told her, certain now.

If Bael counts as a prince...
Also it seems like after only a brief look there are a lot of women who jump from towers...

"She means," said Maester Cerrick, "that Ser Eustace Osgrey is a rebel and a traitor."
"Ser Eustace chose the black dragon over the red, in the hope that a Blackfyre king might restore the lands and castles that the Osgreys had lost under the Targaryens," Lady Rohanne said. "Chiefly he wanted Coldmoat. His sons paid for his treason with their life's blood. When he brought their bones home and delivered his daughter to the king's men for a hostage, his wife threw herself from the top of Standfast tower. Did Ser Eustace tell you that?" Her smile was sad. "No, I did not think so." 
"The black dragon." You swore your sword to a traitor, lunk. You ate a traitor's bread and slept beneath a rebel's roof. "M'lady," he said, groping, "the black dragon . . . that was fifteen years ago. This is now, and there's a drought. Even if he was a rebel once, Ser Eustace still needs water."

Bael was not a prince, and Arya's reaction that the lady should have killed the ones who killed her prince does not match the Bael story. And in any case, as a Stark Arya would have been well aware of the Bael story. The story recounted by the bard was a different one. It involved people not known to her, and as a Stark she would have known all the princely stories surrounding her own family.

Ser Eustace's sons were not princes.

On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 11:49 AM, Aryya Stark said:

It certainly doesn't make sense if you view it that way, but perhaps if you look at it from another angle it will make a little bit of sense. Yes Robert hates Aerys but with Rhaegar its personal...I thought that came across very clearly from the first time we were introduced to Robert in AGOT when he went down to the crypts with Ned. He considers Rhaegar his nemesis. With Aerys it's more of political rivalry and his hatred for the Targs in general, in addition to his madness, crimes and the question of the throne. However, with Rhaegar he wished he could kill him over and over again....passionate hatred if you like. Jon Arryn was able to convince Rob not to kill Aerys' kids, I wonder if he would have been able to convince him if Robert thought one of them was Rhaegar's? And from Lyanna! Why this crazy hatred for Raeghar because he took from him the woman he loved...this is very personal. 

Secondly, his reaction to seeing Rhaegar's dead children came from that deep hatred he had for him. I don't care how much someone hates someone, nothing justifies killing innocent children especially in the horrific way those children were killed. Robert we see in other places was not a bad man, he was quite likable actually, not a psycho. He did want to have Aery's kids killed but Jon Arryn was able to dissuade him which means he knew on some level despite his hatred for Targs that it was wrong and allowed himself to be dissuaded. However, that was not the case with Rhaeghar's children.  

As to your second point, yes that would have been the safest course (Ms. Jane Doe), however I think it is important for the children whether you subscribe to R+L=J theory or R+L=D or both that the children have to have some semblance of identity for the purpose of prophecy. That can only happen if they are somehow in touch with their families whether on the mother's side or the father's side. Whether we are talking about Jon or Dany or both, we know Ned was involved in the final solution because of the promise Lyanna extracted from him. I think it's important to have that family bond if they are to do what they are supposed to do.

Btw, I am not saying I subscribe to this theory but I can see the possibilities and won't shoot it down unless there is absolutely no textual evidence to support it. I prefer to remain on the fence for the time being but I will keep an open mind about it. The fact that these theories are floated and could perhaps have some credibility are, for me at least, part of the joy of reading these books and once again show me the genius of GRRM.

Very well said @Aryya Stark. I agree with you.

@LiveFirstDieLater I get where you are coming from re this theory, and appreciate the time and thought you have put into this. Its a very interesting read. Ive enjoyed the thread and will keep an open mind here.

4 hours ago, tugela said:

Umm....Rhaegar was Aerys and Rhaella's son. His children would be their descendants as well, unless you think he was adopted?

Good lord.  Look, you keep trying to assert that Dany as the prophesied prince doesn't work unless she was born as Rhaegar's child at the ToJ.  I have simply been pointing out that being born of Aerys and Rhaella's line does not have to include Rhaegar at all and works just fine for Dany as Aerys and Rhaella's daughter.  I have explained this three times to you now so hopefully you get it.

4 hours ago, tugela said:

Melisandra was stating the belief of her religion, not her personal visions. Other people refer to that prophecy as well. So that IS the prophecy for Azor Ahai. Where she goes off the rails is the bit about her interpretation of what it means and her belief that it refers to Stannis.

IMO the prophecy is meant to be figurative rather than literal. So when it talks about a star, it is not a real star but a person. The same thing applies to the sword of light. Melisandra/Stannis (and others) think it is a physical sword, but I think it is a figurative sword. In other words a person. "Lightbringer" is, IMO, Daenerys, while Azor Ahai is Jon.

In the story of the original Azor Ahai he spends a lot of time making his sword, there are three attempts. The first is tempered by plunging it into water and it shatters. The second is tempered when AA captures a white lion and plunges the sword into it to slay it, but it shatters. Then on the third attempt he plunges the sword into the bosom of his wife, and her soul is fused into the blade. That is Lightbringer. IMO this mimics what is going on in Westeros. The first shattered sword likely represents the attempts to unite the North against the WW threat, which doesn't really work. The second shattered sword likely represents unification of forces to overthrow of Lannister power in the south, which again probably doesn't really work, and the third represents the final unification of forces with Daenerys, and it is her soul that is "fused" so that she becomes figuratively Lightbringer. The sword itself is a metaphor for the unification of the living to fight the great war with the white walkers. It finally comes about when alliance is made with Daenerys.

There is precedent for that sort of figurative speech in the world of Westeros. For example, the Dayne who carries Dawn is called the Sword of the Morning. It is not a physical sword, but a person.

Melisandra's failure is in thinking (like many others) that the prophecy is literal. As a result she misinterprets things when the real prophecy is unfolding around her and she misses it.

The beliefs of her religion don't involve Stanis Barratheon.  That's just her misinterpretation of what she saw in the flames.

I agree totally that prophecy is meant to be figurative rather than literal - though Maggy Frog might disagree on that - and though it's fun to conjecture at how it might be fulfilled my eyes do water at some of the attempts to "solve" the prophecy as if it were an algebraic equation with each variable defined in order to yield the answer.  IMO and you'll get this if you read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, it's 42.

25 minutes ago, the trees have eyes said:

Good lord.  Look, you keep trying to assert that Dany as the prophesied prince doesn't work unless she was born as Rhaegar's child at the ToJ.  I have simply been pointing out that being born of Aerys and Rhaella's line does not have to include Rhaegar at all and works just fine for Dany as Aerys and Rhaella's daughter.  I have explained this three times to you now so hopefully you get it.

It doesn't work for Aerys and Rhaella because Daenerys is referred to as the "child of three":

"we know… the shape of shadows… morrows not yet made… drink from the cup of ice… drink from the cup of fire… Mother of Dragons… Child of Three… three heads has the dragon"

Child of three means that she has three parents. It is kind of hard to fit that with Aerys and Rhaella, but it is consistent with Rhaegar and two women generating three children. Rhaegar, Ashara and Lyanna giving birth the Daenerys, Jon and one unknown girl. Ashara is the cup of fire and Lyanna is the cup of ice. "Drinking" is the act of making babies in order to fulfill the prophecy. The three children will mimic Aegon and his two sister wives as the dragon with three heads. Jon would be the prince that was promised.

The unknown girl may be Meera Reed, who is the same age as Jon. She may be his fraternal twin, born at the same time (from Rhaegar and Lyanna). Ned took one of the babies as his son, while Howland took the other and raised her as his daughter.

7 hours ago, Scorpion92 said:

No, I expect Jon and Dany's child to BRING the Dawn.

Jon will win the battle against Dany and then march on King's Landing to bring second Hour of the Wolf to the capital (foreshadowed in TWOIAF by Cregan Stark). But Cersei, another head of the dragon, will activate wildfire plot and kill a lot of people, including the last surviving dragon - Drogon - in the process.

But neither Jon nor Dany will live to the end of the story, storywise they will not be needed anymore after uniting the North and the South into singular realm, it will be up to Tyrion (as Hand/Chancellor/Prime Minister) and Sansa (as Queen Regent) to rule new Westeros post Long Night in the name of new "prince that was promised", Ned Stark. That is why it will be bittersweet ending according to GRRM, main characters like Jon, Dany, Jaime, Cersei, etc. will not survive these books, but peace, "spring", "dawn" will come after all to war torn Westeros.

Interesting. I'm not buying it, but it sounds plausible. 

Nice first post OP. I thought it was well put together. No stupidity or ignorance detected.

So I'd like to point out that when Dany has her little conversation with Quaithe, she gives Quaithe an instinctive, certain answer to the question of who she is "the blood of the dragon". People ignore that. I think in that sentence lies the key to explain the lemon tree memory inconsistency. No R+L=D, baby-swap, lived inDorne-gate required.

Recall this passage from AGOT Dany III

Yet when she slept that night, she dreamt the dragon dream again. Viserys was not in it this time. There was only her and the dragon. Its scales were black as night, wet and slick with blood. Her blood, Dany sensed.

Her blood, even before the dragon was hatched, was all over the dragon. She's blood of the dragon. And what is the thing about blood magic we are told time and again?

Only death can pay for life.

So Dany knows instinctively that she is blood OF the dragon, the dragon has HER blood all over it. Ergo, she was the blood sacrifice.

Hold up... you're thinking... Dany isn't dead!

The answer is she USED to be. AA should be REborn right? Death is seriously messed up North of the wall... and south... well why couldn't it be too?

"He has a song," the man replied. "He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire." He looked up when he said it and his eyes met Dany's, and it seemed as if he saw her standing there beyond the door. "There must be one more," he said, though whether he was speaking to her or the woman in the bed she could not say. "The dragon has three heads."

So the question is, one more what so the dragon can have three heads? There were two things done so far at that point, what's the third thing that Rhaegar needed for that third head of the dragon?

The answer is "lives of the blood of the dragon".

Egg sacrificed himself at Summerhall. Then Rhaegar was born.

Rhaegar lived to fulfill prophesy, then died at the trident. Then Dany was born.

So that's two deaths so far and the blood that was all over the dragon was identified by her as her own.

Rhaegar named the tower, the tower of joy. For Dany, the house with the red door (also known as - from her ADWD dream - the tall stone house with the red door) was the place she was happiest.

When Dany has her fever dream when she runs up to the house with the red door, flings open the door and runs inside. LOOK WHO IS IN DA HOUSE

She threw open the door.
"… the dragon …"
And saw her brother Rhaegar, mounted on a stallion as black as his armor. Fire glimmered red through the narrow eye slit of his helm. "The last dragon," Ser Jorah's voice whispered faintly. "The last, the last." Dany lifted his polished black visor. The face within was her own.

The house with the red door is a past life memory from when she used to be Rhaegar. As Rhaegar, she blood sacrificed her/himself to pay for another dragon life. Now she's back again to hatch dragons and get her reward.

I don't know why everyone gets so hung up on Dany being in Dorne. Dany wasn't in Dorne at all Rhaegar was in Dorne a lot. No logistical hoops required.

I really think it took specific blood to hatch dragons. Not just any king would do. Something is special about their blood... otherwise wouldn't everyone have figured out how to hatch dragons by now besides a few rare and select Targs?

Here's where we sometimes get to an unsettling part for some readers. "she's a guy reincarnated as a girl? really?" is kind of the reaction. (Or do people just like having R+L=D for love of debate??? idk) To those reactions, here's Maester Aemon to drop the mic.

What fools we were, who thought ourselves so wise! The error crept in from the translation. Dragons are neither male nor female, Barth saw the truth of that, but now one and now the other, as changeable as flame.

edit: for giggles here's a bonus theory - dragon binder worked by killing the blower, but the "kiss" ceremony to bring someone back to life had its origin in Valyria, where they knew that people that died and were incinerated came back, because death was out of whack, so they used that to their advantage and used up a life in order to bind themselves to a dragon in a second life. Sure maybe they lost a bit of who they were along the way, like Dondarrion has, but hey... they got to enslave a dragon. So that was too big a perk to resist. Note I say enslave. I don't think GRRM calls the horn dragonBINDER for nothing. GRRM has history of hiding secrets right in the simple play on words... tears of lys = lysa's weapon, and of course Season 6's...

Spoiler

Hodor = hold the door

15 hours ago, tugela said:

It doesn't work for Aerys and Rhaella because Daenerys is referred to as the "child of three":

"we know… the shape of shadows… morrows not yet made… drink from the cup of ice… drink from the cup of fire… Mother of Dragons… Child of Three… three heads has the dragon"

Child of three means that she has three parents. It is kind of hard to fit that with Aerys and Rhaella, but it is consistent with Rhaegar and two women generating three children. Rhaegar, Ashara and Lyanna giving birth the Daenerys, Jon and one unknown girl. Ashara is the cup of fire and Lyanna is the cup of ice. "Drinking" is the act of making babies in order to fulfill the prophecy. The three children will mimic Aegon and his two sister wives as the dragon with three heads. Jon would be the prince that was promised.

The unknown girl may be Meera Reed, who is the same age as Jon. She may be his fraternal twin, born at the same time (from Rhaegar and Lyanna). Ned took one of the babies as his son, while Howland took the other and raised her as his daughter.

Now you are falling into the Mel trap and just putting your own personal spin on things.  What does or doesn't work will become clear in time but you are being somewhat dogmatic in your interpretation of what this does or must mean and what it doesn't or can't when really there are many possible interpretations.

16 hours ago, princess_snow said:

Very well said @Aryya Stark. I agree with you.

@LiveFirstDieLater I get where you are coming from re this theory, and appreciate the time and thought you have put into this. Its a very interesting read. Ive enjoyed the thread and will keep an open mind here.

Always appreciate the appreciation!

19 hours ago, tugela said:

Bael was not a prince, and Arya's reaction that the lady should have killed the ones who killed her prince does not match the Bael story. And in any case, as a Stark Arya would have been well aware of the Bael story. The story recounted by the bard was a different one. It involved people not known to her, and as a Stark she would have known all the princely stories surrounding her own family.

Ser Eustace's sons were not princes.

My point was that Ladies jumping from towers doesn't seem to be a unique thing... And if this is a bard singing a song then are you suggesting that a love affair between Ashara and Rhaegar is common knowledge across the land? Seems like a massive omission by all the POVs

44 minutes ago, the trees have eyes said:

Now you are falling into the Mel trap and just putting your own personal spin on things.  What does or doesn't work will become clear in time but you are being somewhat dogmatic in your interpretation of what this does or must mean and what it doesn't or can't when really there are many possible interpretations.

No harm in taking a shot at interpreting the mumbo jumbo... But I have to agree that it does come across as definitive when I don't agree with the interpretation... Child of three could be three parents (I don't really know what that even means), it could be three bloodlines (Targ, Stark, Blackwood), it could be because all the following prophesies that come in triplets, it could be because she is one of the three heads of the dragon... And those are just a few options off the top of my head.

Personally I think the bit you quoted is actually the Undying's answer to her questions, and that the q/a match up with the rooms she passed on the way in

20 hours ago, the trees have eyes said:
4 hours ago, the trees have eyes said:
4 hours ago, the trees have eyes said:
3 hours ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

My point was that Ladies jumping from towers doesn't seem to be a unique thing... And if this is a bard singing a song then are you suggesting that a love affair between Ashara and Rhaegar is common knowledge across the land? Seems like a massive omission by all the POVs

the reply panel of this board is messed up. It put a completely different quote in my reply.

Not common knowledge across the land, but certainly it would have been the point of conversation in the regions around Starfall when it happened. The song is a local one from Dorne. It is not every day that a noted beauty from a famous house throws herself off a tower under mysterious circumstances, and that would have without question got tongues wagging locally.

There is a correlation between the song and Ser Barristans recollections. He was not there himself, nor was he connected to the family. So, his source of information would be gossip, or even this song itself.

No harm in taking a shot at interpreting the mumbo jumbo... But I have to agree that it does come across as definitive when I don't agree with the interpretation... Child of three could be three parents (I don't really know what that even means), it could be three bloodlines (Targ, Stark, Blackwood), it could be because all the following prophesies that come in triplets, it could be because she is one of the three heads of the dragon... And those are just a few options off the top of my head.

Personally I think the bit you quoted is actually the Undying's answer to her questions, and that the q/a match up with the rooms she passed on the way in

IIRC (can't be sure, don't have the books here), the passage came from the Undying as a form of greeting when she first encountered them. Those bits are not prophecy however, as they in part refer to things that have already happened and essentially are her history. The passage is structured as who she is, where she comes from and where she is going.

I will have to go and read that chapter again. It did not occur to me that the passage may be linked to the visions she saw. That might be illuminating.

Archived